Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If I had a dollar for every .45 Colt round I loaded with a Lee Loader I could put a bubble over Houston and air-condition it.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a decent collection. I need to start posting pics and videos. I hope all of you do the same. This is a helpful and interesting topic to people wanting to start reloading.

And by the way, I'm looking for one in .257 Roberts

Last edited by JD45; 06/13/23.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Started w RCBS A2
Prefer Lyman turret.

Only Lee products I run are collet dies and ram prime.
Got a Lee Loader in 12 ga and Loadmaster in garage.
Inherited.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/13/23.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have one in 32 WinSpl that I've had (and still use) for 55yrs and the rifle to go with it.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I thought this might be a good place to start. I took some once fired cases and neck resized them using three different dies - a Lee Loader, a Redding bushing neck sizer with a .246 bushing, and a standard Redding neck sizing die. I measured the inside diameters and this is what I got.

I should point out that my mic measures in millimeters, so I converted the results into inches. The results were rounded to the closest 1000th of an inch.

I also checked the cases for runout. There were no issues. It seems that the Lee Loader reduces the diameter more than the Redding standard neck sizing die - .220 vs .223. It will take more effort to seat FB bullets because the case necks will be approx. 0.004 inches smaller than the bullet.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago, I read that Lee was good about doing custom work for very little if you sent one in to change something.
I once read a guy wanted a Lee loader neck sizing diameter opened up just a hair, and they did so.
Great company.

Last edited by JD45; 06/16/23.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I wonder if they still do that?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know. but if you call them I expect they'd be helpful

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I has a primer go off years ago, that's when I switched to other equipment !!!

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a tight primer fire in my first one, the first round I loaded. It was a .270 Win. I soon got a Lee hand primer. I would suggest everyone to prime on something else. If the primers seat easily, you'll be fine if you don't get heavy handed beating on it.

As in all reloading, safety glasses are a must.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damm you Steve. You show a inside mic measuring necks. I don't have one that size. My old Brown & Sharp starts at 1/2". I think I might need one.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Got my first Lee Loader in 1965 (a 303) I really like them. I added a powder scale, so I could vary my loads. I still use a Lee loader from time to time, and it IS fun! GD

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Loaded a lot of 38 / 357 / 45 acp back in the day. Unique was my go to powder.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
I has a primer go off years ago, that's when I switched to other equipment !!!

I started using a Lee hand priming tool because it was faster than tapping each primer into the case. I was shooting 303s at the time and would get the necks resized, cases primed and put away in an ammo box.

Originally Posted by JD45
I had a tight primer fire in my first one, the first round I loaded. It was a .270 Win. I soon got a Lee hand primer. I would suggest everyone to prime on something else. If the primers seat easily, you'll be fine if you don't get heavy handed beating on it.

As in all reloading, safety glasses are a must.

Yes, using an on or off press priming tool is better, I think.

Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Damm you Steve. You show a inside mic measuring necks. I don't have one that size. My old Brown & Sharp starts at 1/2". I think I might need one.

They are handy, that's for sure. A few times here on this board, I've seen people posts about the collet die and not following the package instructions. It's really easy to turn the die in a bit at a time and try a bullet to see when you are getting close to the neck gripping the bullet. I was surprised that people didn't realize there is a little play in that die. It is easy to set it to .001 or .002 undersize. It takes a few seconds. You can use a mic or just use a bullet.

Originally Posted by greydog
Got my first Lee Loader in 1965 (a 303) I really like them. I added a powder scale, so I could vary my loads. I still use a Lee loader from time to time, and it IS fun! GD

I know what you mean. They are fun and it's relaxing to sit on the deck or in front of the TV and neck size cases.

For bullet seating, I am surprised that more people don't buy Wilson inline seaters. They are just a slightly more expensive version of a Lee Loader. smile Nothing works like an inline seater! Probably 2/3s of my bullet seating for various calibres is done with a Wilson - and not the micrometer one either!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by Gojoe
I was very fortunate and found an excellent Lee loader in 375 H&H at a yard sale, $10. 😀😀

That's the way to get them these days. This is from a Canadian site in Cdn dollars. About 30% more than USD.

... still using my original Lee Loader for 45-70 ... original price @ Lebarons $9.95 ... I follow the slightly different methodology "logcabinlooms" used on one of his posts where he demonstrates the loading procedure on a stump ... I use the Lee factory crimp dies for most of my reloading

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a Herters loader which is a direct copy of the Lee. I'm pretty sure Lee came first, but Herters never had any qualms when it came to copying or self-promotion! GD

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
... have a Woodleigh manual & shoot Woodleigh 300 & 405 grain Weldcore bullets in my 1895GS

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by greydog
I have a Herters loader which is a direct copy of the Lee. I'm pretty sure Lee came first, but Herters never had any qualms when it came to copying or self-promotion! GD

This information has been around for a number of years. I don’t know if it is 100% accurate, but it has never been disputed.

http://gunlore.awardspace.info/gunknow/LeeTools.htm

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Kind of off topic, but it is amazing how many of the old inventors/innovators that we owe so much to over the years were screwed over by "businessmen" or bankers, and lawyers. JM Browning himself was a victim, Ortgies, Peabody, James Paris Lee, hell, look what Nikola Tesla went through. We like to think of the good ol' days when a man's word was his bond...but I wonder if that was true.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Great thread, in a nutshell our societies are going to hell because they sit on their asses waiting to be entertained. Doing stuff like using a Lee loader or more sophisticated equipment are skills being lost. Using tools to build and repair or improve are the good things that enhance your life. Great thread..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,238
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.