-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marlinman, I guess what threw me off on the Walnut Hill was the double triggers; I haven't seen too many of the rifles, but the book I'm looking at doesn't mention the 49 having double triggers, but that the 51 does. And upon reading again, I see it says the 51 has a wood insert in the triggerguard action lever. There's a small picture and the lever does look much different than the 49.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody shoot a Dakota 10? I've often thought about getting one but, so far, have just bought Rugers which I'm getting a taste for.

How do you like the Dakota?

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A bolt, but a single shot (6 PPC USA):

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Shootinglady,
The Stevens 49 was a single trigger as std., but Stevens would build just about anything a customer wanted, and DST's were very popular option.
The Stevens 51 was a straight grip receiver, with the wooden insert in the lever. The loop lever on the Walnut Hill was quite different, and never had a wood insert. The 51 also came with a #4 swiss buttplate, while the Walnut Hill used the light swiss. Both had similar engraving as std., but other patterns could be ordered. Mine was ordered with optional scroll pattern. I have a tevens 44 with optional Walnut Hill style pattern engraving.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Antiue Marlins and single shot rifles!
NRA Life
OAC Member
HAMF Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sako, I am familiar with the Dakota 10s. I looked at several at a guys ranch. He is pretty much a single shot guru. He had many rifles built on Peregrins, Ruger #1s, Dakotas and the Hagn. He felt that the Dakota 10 was a decent action but the rifles were over priced. He prefered to start with a Ruger for a custom basis but his newest was a Hagn that was built in the Martini and Hagn shop.

I was at his place looking at his Hagn before I ordered mine. Here is mine:

SS

[Linked Image]

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SS,
That is one beautiful rifle. Congrats. What chambering?

thanks for the info on the Dakota. They do seem expensive. I think I've also heard somewhere on these threads that some don't like them. I'm trying to remember but it was something like the cartridge couldn't eject straight back or something. I'll hve to look, it was something like that?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Found it. Bumped it back to the top. It was the cleaning rod couldn't go straight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sako, the Hagn is chambered in 300 win mag. I am still working loads up and it looks like the 200 partition is shooting the best right now. Its a good thing too because I leave for Namibia in 9 days.

I am not sure about the ejection problem with the Dakotas. I have heard they are a pain to clean because the cleaning rod doesn't get a clear shot at the breech. If that is the case then it would make sense that ejection could occasionally foul up. On the Hagn, I ordered it with an extractor only and now that I have used it I wouldn't have it any other way. If you tilt the barrel up cases just fall to the ground, if you hold it level they are laying in the loading channel to be picked out.

The Hagn is just a classy operation all the way around.

SS
Josh

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine are not traditional Single shots, but they are SS:

All of mine are specialty handguns.

6.5-284 XP-100
[Linked Image]

7mm Dakota XP-100
[Linked Image]

30-30 AI Thompson Contender
[Linked Image]

6mm-284 XP-100
[Linked Image]

6.5x57R Tanfoglio Thor
[Linked Image]

6.5-284 MOA Maximum
[Linked Image]

Rear-grip 6.5-284 XP-100
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/340283.jpg[/img]

I do all of my hunting, varminting, and competitive shooting with SS specialty handguns.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
XP, those are some pretty impression short guns. My guess is that you can give most rifle shooters a run for their money. Looking at a couple of them I am reminded how flexible and effective those picatinny rails are for getting the scope in just the right place. That is one of the things I worry about most on an expensive custom rifle, getting the scope mounted in exactly the spot I want it. Ralf and Adolf installed a custom Talley base for the front base on my Hagn and then they milled the rear base right into the barrel shank. It is an amazing bit metal working. They even matted the portion of the bases that is concealed by the rings like the rib on a fine English shotgun. The problem is flexibility in mounting different scopes. The 1.1x4 Schmidt and Bender Zenith Flashdot fits perfectly, I couldn't ask for anything better. The bad news is that the back-up scope is a 6x Zeiss and I can't move it far enough to the rear, the front ring limits the distance back. So now I am in the situation of having to crawl the stock quite a bit to shoot with my back-up scope. Hopefully I won't have any problems with the S&B.

SS
Josh

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SharpsShooter
XP, those are some pretty impression short guns. My guess is that you can give most rifle shooters a run for their money. Looking at a couple of them I am reminded how flexible and effective those picatinny rails are for getting the scope in just the right place. That is one of the things I worry about most on an expensive custom rifle, getting the scope mounted in exactly the spot I want it. Ralf and Adolf installed a custom Talley base for the front base on my Hagn and then they milled the rear base right into the barrel shank. It is an amazing bit metal working. They even matted the portion of the bases that is concealed by the rings like the rib on a fine English shotgun. The problem is flexibility in mounting different scopes. The 1.1x4 Schmidt and Bender Zenith Flashdot fits perfectly, I couldn't ask for anything better. The bad news is that the back-up scope is a 6x Zeiss and I can't move it far enough to the rear, the front ring limits the distance back. So now I am in the situation of having to crawl the stock quite a bit to shoot with my back-up scope. Hopefully I won't have any problems with the S&B.

SS
Josh

Josh,
Thanks.
The pic mounts are extremely versatile. All of mine have 20 MOA built into them. I hunt with the rear grip MOA and the center-grip XP's.
I use both rifle scopes and Long Eye Relief Scopes (handgun scopes) on these rigs, so a pic base is very versatile. Forward for the LER scopes and as far back as possible w/rifle scopes.
I don't feel handicapped shooting against the majority of rifles, even at longer ranges, if I can get prone.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marlinman93,
Thanks for the info.
I like those old Ballards too; nice to see them out hunting!grin
Great pictures, all of them.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks Shootinglady! Nice to know there are ladies who enjoy old singleshot rifles!

NRA Life
OAC Member
HAMF Member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
marlinman93, that is a stunning collection of vintage single shots. My compliments! JB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks a lot JB! There's more, but didn't want to bog the thread down.

NRA Life
OAC Member
HAMF Member
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Bog it on down, this is an opertunity to show off your babies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

++1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by marlinman93
Thanks Shootinglady! Nice to know there are ladies who enjoy old singleshot rifles!

Nice to know there's men who enjoy taking such good care of so many of the old rifles!

Originally Posted by marlinman93
There's more, but didn't want to bog the thread down.
You tease! Come on, keep posting. grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A local pawn shop has a BEAUTIFUL Browning single shot rifle with an octogon barrel in .45/70 for sale. I didn't measure the barrel, but it looked long... perhaps 26-inches or more.

It looks brand new, but I'm sure it isn't new. I looked it over carefully and it appears to be in very excellent condition with nice "wood"... I didn't see any marks or scratches in either the metal or the wood.

I'm not sure what it is... (high-wall or low-wall?)... but it has a breech-block like my Ruger #1 that (like my Ruger) drops down when the lever is "cocked".

However, unlike my Ruger #1, the Browning has a hammer. I didn't "dry fire" it, but I "felt" the trigger while holding onto the hammer, and it seems for have a "good" trigger.

They have a price of $999 on it, but I'm sure it could be purchased from less... how much less I don't know.

They also have a Marlin lever action rifle in .45/70 which is in equally excellent condition with decent wood and an octogon barrel.

If you're interested in either rifle, I'll look either one or both of them over again and give you more specific particulars about them if you tell me the specific information you want about them. smile

Sincerely,

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
OK, here's a few more!

Another Hepburn, with double set triggers, in .40-70 Sharps.
[Linked Image]

Stevens 44 in full schuetzen regalia, .22LR., Litschirt 20x scope.
[Linked Image]

Rolling Block, Black Hills Sporter #1. .44-77 Sharps Bottleneck. 34" barrel, and single set trigger.
[Linked Image]

More later!

Last edited by marlinman93; 08/07/07.

NRA Life
OAC Member
HAMF Member
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,044
Posts18,500,842
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.