Print Thread
Hop To
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Ran into an early rifle today and in the sn location it has stampted WRAC ? Was explained to me as being sent back for repair before 1903? Anyone here heard of such a thing?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Call Winchester and ask them

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
There is a story about this marking in the Madis book. As I recall, Winchester had price rules for retailers and distributors. Some sellers violated those rules and used the marking to obscure the serial number of the gun so it could not be traced back to them. But, my memory is foggy on it so you might want to check Madis on it....or check with WACA as they might have a more thorough explanation

Last edited by Levers; 05/14/18.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Have read that a few M92’s with illegible serial numbers that were sent back to the factory for work were stamped WRACO where the serial number would normally be found. Imagine that this may have also been true for M94’s....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I've had several of the 92s but don't think I've seen a 94 with the marking

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
BTW, the marking should be WRACO

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This Particular Winchester was sent back to the factory, and for some reason another Rifle with a duplicated serial # was mfg., and Winchester stamped the second one, WRAC,! PROVENANCE: Winchester Collector Arms Ass. Forum!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
This Particular Winchester was sent back to the factory, and for some reason another Rifle with a duplicated serial # was mfg., and Winchester stamped the second one, WRAC,! PROVENANCE: Winchester Collector Arms Ass. Forum!

That's interesting. Could you share the details?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm having memory troubles. Although not diagnosed with such. It seems to me that when a Rifle was sent back to Winchester, and some sort of repair was made, possibly only to the serial numbered frame, these marks were put over the serial number, with some sort of, stippilling, or hash marks, and the initials WRACO. The George Madis Winchester Book states, that Winchester did this when a Serial number was faint, or polished off. Some of the So called Winchester experts suggest, that it was done pre. 1900 by Winchester, at there Factory. Many Winchester Shotguns bear these marks, as does the Model 1894 Winchester. Calling Winchester would lead you down a road of Wasted time, as Winchester is no longer what it used to be, as most Gun Co. of yesteryear. Browning owns them now based out of Herstal Belgiuim, wher John Moses Browning died in 1926, of a heart attack, in his Son's, Val's presence. These Marks have been a debate for some time, and many feel that Sears and Roebuck, who sol Winchester's, had something to do with it, but I don't think there's any proof of that. It's kinda strange if you think about it because as good as Winchester was about their records, and repairs, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info. on it to date. Winchester made a lot of documented repairs, on their firearms over the years, and this info. is kinda vague. Very subject to conjecture.

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well like I said my mind isn't what it used to be. I just remembered some things. The WRACO marks were also found on model 1892's. There were some with just WRAC, but that seems to be an incomplete stamping or a broken die, as it should have said WRACO. Many gun's were sent to Winchester for repairs, that were repaired and did not receive these markings; hence the thought's from many at gun shows over the years, that it was only for repairs that involved the serial numbered part of the gun on the frame. Winchester Collector Arms Ass. would be the best current reference, as the Madis Book was based on George and his father doing their own research with firearms based on their own purchases, and encounters. Since then a lot of research has been done based on Winchester records, from the Cody Wyoming Museum that houses the current Firearms records. From everything that is known, today, these are not really rare or even a special desired collecting area of choice, but people will collect all sorts of stuff, so who really knows. By no way does it add to a Winchester rifles value.

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Been pulling out my research Books and notes, and trying to figure more out about this, and It seems to me that there is no real proof as to WHO put these Marks on Winchester Guns at or near the turn of the Century! Weather it be a Model 92, or a 94 or a Winchester Shotgun! My earlier statement that it was done at the Winchester Factory doesn't seem to be Correct, as I cannot back that statement up with Facts, or Proof! I am glad that we can post info. to try to learn more from our past. I will try to keep digging on this subject, as to me it is very interesting!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
I have been wondering about these markings also. I have a Mod. 94 38-55 that was my GG Uncles. the serial number has ////// over it and WRACO stamped over that. On the under side of the barrel I can see 32-40 with 38-55 stamped over that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Have read that a few M92’s with illegible serial numbers that were sent back to the factory for work were stamped WRACO where the serial number would normally be found. Imagine that this may have also been true for M94’s....

I have read this somewhere too. I saw one stamped WRACO1 and was told that they were the "test rifles" used by R&D.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by Poconojack

I have read this somewhere too. I saw one stamped WRACO1 and was told that they were the "test rifles" used by R&D.

I think we might be talking about two different markings, possibly. The WRACO1, was that stamped over the serial # and cross hatched marks, or was it stamped additionally, with the WRACO1, showing like you said, possibly a gun used in the Winchester R&D?

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Don't know how to put a picture here but it does have VP in an oval on the underside of the barrel

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Winchester started putting the VP on their Rifles, on the Model 1873, it means "Viewed Proof". I'm pretty sure it wasn't on their first Winchester Model 1866, as the Model 1873, was their second Winchester Model, mfg. at the start of 1873! All Winchesters have them, since! That was put on at the Factory when it was made!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

A Winchester Factory Memorandum dated Nov. 1, 1899 indicated that the meaning of V.P. is Violent Proof.
Have read that this indicated the barrel was fired with twice the recommended powder charge.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 41 invisible), 1,800 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,004
Posts18,520,527
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.