Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
By no means was I trying to ruffle any feathers/instigate by starting the thread just curious for my own information how fellow shooters thought about each action, respectively.

I have no doubt either the Predator or Timberline are exceptional actions in their own right and nothing is the final word one way or another.

Boils down to the nut on trigger....

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like to hear what Jerry Stiller has to say about the action Mr. Kampfeld has - if its out that much, Mr. Stiller will probably want to look at it, and may possibly switch it out with one that is within his tolerances.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Stiller Predator as I did with Borden,Lawton,Surgeon, Nesika etc.... etc...

Hell, I bet Ferrari has a lemon every now and then???

Last edited by 300MAG; 07/25/07.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Karl---spoke to someone about this and I was asked what method did you use to determine you had this much run out also what type of instruments did you use and what discrimination level did this instrument have.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used a Starrete depth micrometer, measuring from the face of the receiver to the bolt face, the way that you would to find correct headspace. It doesn't have tenths on the barrel, but I will guarantee my measurements within .0001. I've spent the majority of my life using such instruments.

This one is a magnum bolt face, but I've seen a .223 Predator bolt face with the same deviation. It's hard not to form an opinion when the few I've seen are like this.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No axe to grind says volumes. I have dealt with Jim Borden for years now, and can easily accept the notion of better tolerances.

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a sinking feeling that this is my action.....Karl I'll call you tomorrow.

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Karl---thanks the person who I am talking to about this (I have 5 of the actions so my interest is very peaked) has built easily over 50 rifles on the Predators and was part of the development of the action. He measured every one that was built in his shop and never saw the numbers you came up with so there may be an issue with this action.

I am waiting on a call from him now. I can tell you this we will be measuring all of mine when they come up there!!!

David

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 07/26/07.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still think Mr. Stiller needs to hear this!! I'm anxious to hear what he has to say.

S
SHW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Karl

I have a predator on order for a 300 RUM build. How does a Rem action that you have sleeved compare to the Predator? BTW My smith also has some concerns with the Predator.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys are starting to scare me!! I am having my first custom built on a Predator action and now I'm hearing all of this???

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You will I left Jerry a message on his cell.

NRA Life Member
S
SHW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Boss

Thanks for calling Mr. Stiller. I am curious to hear his comments. Please post as soon as you talk to him. Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Boss!!

I don't know Mr. Stiller, but from what I hear, if something is wrong or out of spec. he will make it right.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Jerry Stiller and his partner Curtis Helton are great folks to work with if you have a problem. Hey, they're pretty good too even if you don't have a problem. They may not be computer geeks, but they know how to turn a piece of metal into a quality product. Both guys are very sharp when it comes to manuacturing and production. If it's not right, I truly believe Jerry will do everything he can to make you a happy camper.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SHW
Karl

I have a predator on order for a 300 RUM build. How does a Rem action that you have sleeved compare to the Predator? BTW My smith also has some concerns with the Predator.

On a Remington action that I bore the bolt bore raceway and sleeve the bolt, when the bolt is locked down I run about .0005 clearance between the two. As far as the bolt face being square to the front of the receiver, they usually run .0001 - .0002 out, .0003 is about the worst I've had one come out.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kampfeld
...The Predators seem almost as loose as 700's, and don't seem to be much truer than an untrued 700 as well...

I should add that the threads on the Predator are much more concentric and squarer to the receiver face than an untrued Remington, which is a very important piece of the accuracy puzzle.

I hopes this puts some of the guys with pending Predator builds more at ease. smile

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by kampfeld
Still, I don't have any doubt that 1/2" groups will be attainable with the Predator.

300MAG, I really dont think you need to worry unless 1/2" is not good enough for you as a hunting rifle. It think this may be an example of unnecessary, extraneous detail for the job description. Obviously if this was a bench gun you could be concerned but I would be dang happy with a 1/2" gun that was reliable in the field.

Last edited by varmintsinc; 07/26/07. Reason: cant spell

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
+1 to Varmintsinc's words of wisdom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Karl,
Sorry I did not call you today! I'm so frigin' busy between work, kids softball, and the house build.... The long action you have is without question mine, since you have only one LA! That being said, I have no worries!!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I built a 300 WSM custom around a Predator action, and eventually it turned out very nice. I had some feeding problems and had a good friend do some modifying. He changed the angle of the feed ramp and installed a small sleeve on the front of the bolt just behind the lugs.(I wanted three in the basement and this seemed to cause some of the problem.) When I had the bolt pulled all the way back and started to push forward to pick up the case, the nose of the bullet wanted to dip and not feed. If I used my thumb on the back of the bolt shroud and put downward pressure on it, the action would feed perfectly. It seemed to me that the rear of the raceway is short in length and wanted to bind when fully opened. The bolt sleeve pretty much solved this problem for my particular action. I can now put three down below and the rifle cycles very smooth.

This is my first Predator action, and I cannot comment on the Borden actions as I've never handled one. I do know that this rifle will shoot... I took it to the range just before it was closing and was only able to get off 15 rounds. It shot better than I expected; my last 2 three shot groups with 168gr. TSX's were .500 and .437" at 100 yards. Not to shabby for a 7 3/4 pound hunting rifle with hunting bullets and only 15 bullets down the tube.

I love this rifle with the Predator action, as I do my Nesika, Winchester and Remmy actioned rifles. All of these actions with a quality tube, stock, trigger etc... provide us with quite a bit of enjoyment, interest, confusion, and as observed... controversy. In the right hands, and the right smith, ALL are quite capable of extaordinary accuracy. TL

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (1Longbow, 1moredeer, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,930
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.