Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now that I recall, a 22-250 (extremely early production rifle) No. 1 had very nice wood.

I wish Ruger would spend a little more effort on wood, and on the stinking trigger. I'd gladly pay more money.

I ended up with a Kepplinger trigger and a Moulds speed hammer. Since then I have learned a lot about tweaking the Number 1 trigger, and can get them light and crisp with a few modifications. You'd think that Ruger could at least do that. Then again, they are worried about liability.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Paul,

Wow! If I had known that you wanted one that bad, I'd have let you know. A local gun shop had one in .300 Win. recently, but last I was there, it was gone. frown I entertained the idea for a short time, (Very short!) But since I already had one in a 1-B, I just couldn't justify an "S". 'Sides, I don't really like cluttered up barrels, anyway. smile

Grasshopper

That would have given me four rifles in .300 Win. mag. I already have one #1B and somehow snagged up three "S" models all in .300 Win. mag. I went to the grand opening of the new cabela's up by Phoenix and they had another #1S, used and abused, but the price was in my estimation way out of line and they wouldn't dicker.
The #1 I have that is the hardest looking one is a "B" model in 25-06 that looks like it was run hard and put away wet. It looks almost mint compared to the one at Cabela's. It sold while I was there for the $950 they were asking for the gun. Guess old P.T. Barnum was right as I only paid $600 each for my three "S" models. My .300 mag. "B" is a .375" gun right out of the box with 200 gr. Noslers. The one "S" model is also a one inch or better rifle. The two 200th Year "S" models are safe queens for the moment. I might stick a scope on them just to see how they shoot, but no big hurry on that.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Paul,

I will keep a weather-eye out for #1-S models. If and when I find one, I'll let you know. If you think I'll forget, just ask 1-B, smile

BTW, I can't believe someone would pay $950 for a beat-up 1-S. blush Somebody bumped their head...

G.H.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Then again, they are worried about liability.

Isn't that the sad truth? We even have to tolerate that silly warning on many of their barrels. frown

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have always liked the #1, and in fact handled one in .204 only a week ago...and I was tempted, I'll admit that. And I would love to have one. However, I have heard that they are somewhat problematic as far as accuracy is concerned. And for me, that is a concern. I have two T/C's, one a G2 and one an Encore, in .17 Remington, mainly because I shoot left-handed and finding a lefty .17 is a real pain. Bolt guns, in addition to being cheaper, are probably easier to make accurate with less work. That is a perception, anyway.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
True... DELGUE... but they don't have the "mystic" and allure of the #1.

Keep thinking about it, you'll end up with one... eventually. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dear Delgue,

I have 2 Ruger #1's in .204, a #1-V and a #1-B. I am very happy with both as both are sub 1/2" rifle for 3 shot groups. I just hunt with the #1-B as its a little more accurate than my #1-V and a lot lighter to carry.

Doc

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Read something recently where a regional writer was reviewing a new bolt-gun, don't remember the details, just that somewhere in the article he bemoaned the fact that it only had a three-shot magazine capacity, would be better if it were five. Gotta keep in mind, guys and girls, those of us inhabiting this forum are, for the most part rifle loonies. Probably fifty percent of the market for firearms is withing that 95 percent of hunters who aren't really shooters and who sure aren't rifle loonies. To most of them a single shot rifle is an anathema.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ron T: I expect you're right, esp. if Ruger is talking about dropping the #1 or reducing the number of calibers it's offered in. I may have to see about that .204, or perhaps the 6.5 Swede when it comes out.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Attn Ruger: 22lr #1 in full dress please. Then we can talk about the Bob and Swede.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It would be, INDEED, a "sad" day if Ruger drops Bill Ruger's "pet" rifle. The #1 was his "love"... his "mistress", if you will.

But "Corporate America" has done many things worse than that... unfortunately.

However, I hope those in command at Ruger will preserve the #1 in all its forms.

Meanwhile, if you REALLY want (down "deep" where you "live") one, then I suggest you get off your dead fanny and GET it !~!~!

I've got mine... and YOU need to get YOUR's... then we can "smile" while the world around us goes "bonkers". smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Besides not being the ideal for dangerous game, the main reason I think some do not use a SS is a lack of confidence in shooting.
They want that second shot. I am sure cost could be an issue as well.
I don't shoot rifles, but my hunting handguns are all single-shots:
XP-100's, MOA Maximum, and Contender

I have not yet felt handicapped hunting or shooting them.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Xphunter. If the single shot was so poor during hunting dangerous game, a lot of young British officers in Africa and India would have bought the farm.

Seriously, if I could afford an African hunt, I'd take two rifles. My #1S in .300 Win. mag. and my .416 Rigby. Yes, Cape Buffalo would definitely be on the menu. It only takes maybe five minutes practice a day using spent brass and a couple of dummy round to get reasonaly quick as reloading for that second shot, should one be necessary. I've hunted with Number Ones since 1975 and I feel confident enough to not worry any more than someone with a repeating rifle under the same circumstances.
With practice, one can use the recoil and part of the reloading plan. As the rifle recoils back at you, you drop the lever and tilt the rifle to the right (left for left handers)to insure the empty casing doesn't hang up on the safety button. Then, you slide the hand at the forearm to the breech with the thumb covering the opening and the hand holding the rifle with the muzzle tilted down. You reach for the next round from your storage place of choice and with the index finger helping to guide the bullet to the chamber mouth the thumb is moved out of the way and the round allowed to fall into the chamber. Raise the lever closing the breech, aim and fire the next shot, should it be necessary. All this is done while continually keeping your eye on the target or game animal.
I know that sounds slow and complicated as hell, but it works.
The important thing is to make that first shot count, but do the rapid reload in case it doesn't. So far, I haven't had to take a second shot yet, but who knows? I might screw up come this years deer hunt. I hope not, but if I do, I know that I can get another shot off in plenty of time.
Edited to add, comment by Al Miler of Rifel magazine on hunting with single shot rifles.

"If hunting with a single shot were half as tough as it's supposed to be, millions of elk,buffalo and antelope would still call the Great Plains home. And as for that one round business --- few of last century's African hunters would have lived long enough to write about their adventures if they hadn't been able to crank out a quick second shot now and then. The truth is, a good game shot will do just as well with a single loader as he will with a repeater; an indifferent marksman will fare no worse."

He then goes into some of the various ways to do a reload for a fast second shot and the best ways to practice doing this. It only take 5 or 10 minutes a day to get up to speed. (no pun intended) When I take one of my "one-shooters" to the range, I always finish up with a couple of speed loading sessions.

Paul B.

Last edited by PJGunner; 07/21/07.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Nice post, Paul.

Obviously I own a single shot Thompson/Encore with an aftermarket .260 Remington barrel. The pistol grip on this rifle is very sharp and the stock fits me perfectly. The result is that if "feels" like it comes up very fast and I can get on target quickly. The added weight in the barrel makes the rifle very steady with recoil feeling more like a 30-30 than a .260 Remington.

I have 5 rounds in a stock cover sleeve....and with a little bit of practice...I can have a new round chambered in nearly the same amount of time it takes to move a bolt back and forth.

From time to time I practice doing quick follow up shots and have come to realize that the most time consuming action is reaquiring the target after the initial shot. With bolt action and single shots....you nearly always have to take your eye of the target....either because of the recoil or to get a better angle in operating the bolt. My Thompson/Encore comes up SO quickly that I am sure I can get a 2nd shot accurately placed faster than most with a bolt.

To this end, there is something to be said about recoil. I promise you that I can put a more accurate follow up shot quicker with my single shot .260 Rem than the average bloke with his bolt action .300 Magnum.

We are just splitting hairs, unless that hunter with his .300 Magnum is afraid of his rifle and misses the bread basket with his first shot.

Something to make you think about.....no?

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PJ,

This past weekend there were two separate .300 Mag #1 Ss for sale on Guns America (IIRC) for around $600! (The number on one was #976882760.) They were not beaten up either. There also as a .218 B for $900. I almost jumped one them but then remembered a big local show this weekend.

Grasshopper makes omne helluve personal sjopper. He fopund my #1B i 7x57 for me!

Good luck,
1B

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
1B. It seems like quite a few #1S models in .300 Win. mag. have been popping up in the last year or so. There's my 3, the one at Cabela's and now the 2 you mention. I know darn well they were chambered to other cartridges. I even saw one in .338 Win. mag. but the price was so out of line I had to ask the guy if snatching little old ladies purses was his day job? I mean $1,600 for a used and somewhat abused #1? Gimme a break. Some people at gun shows seem to think their stuff is way more valuable than it is. Oh well. there's one coming up this week end. maybe I'll bet lucky.
Paul B.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Xphunter. If the single shot was so poor during hunting dangerous game, a lot of young British officers in Africa and India would have bought the farm.

Seriously, if I could afford an African hunt, I'd take two rifles. My #1S in .300 Win. mag. and my .416 Rigby. Yes, Cape Buffalo would definitely be on the menu. It only takes maybe five minutes practice a day using spent brass and a couple of dummy round to get reasonaly quick as reloading for that second shot, should one be necessary. I've hunted with Number Ones since 1975 and I feel confident enough to not worry any more than someone with a repeating rifle under the same circumstances.
With practice, one can use the recoil and part of the reloading plan. As the rifle recoils back at you, you drop the lever and tilt the rifle to the right (left for left handers)to insure the empty casing doesn't hang up on the safety button. Then, you slide the hand at the forearm to the breech with the thumb covering the opening and the hand holding the rifle with the muzzle tilted down. You reach for the next round from your storage place of choice and with the index finger helping to guide the bullet to the chamber mouth the thumb is moved out of the way and the round allowed to fall into the chamber. Raise the lever closing the breech, aim and fire the next shot, should it be necessary. All this is done while continually keeping your eye on the target or game animal.
I know that sounds slow and complicated as hell, but it works.
The important thing is to make that first shot count, but do the rapid reload in case it doesn't. So far, I haven't had to take a second shot yet, but who knows? I might screw up come this years deer hunt. I hope not, but if I do, I know that I can get another shot off in plenty of time.
Edited to add, comment by Al Miler of Rifel magazine on hunting with single shot rifles.

"If hunting with a single shot were half as tough as it's supposed to be, millions of elk,buffalo and antelope would still call the Great Plains home. And as for that one round business --- few of last century's African hunters would have lived long enough to write about their adventures if they hadn't been able to crank out a quick second shot now and then. The truth is, a good game shot will do just as well with a single loader as he will with a repeater; an indifferent marksman will fare no worse."

He then goes into some of the various ways to do a reload for a fast second shot and the best ways to practice doing this. It only take 5 or 10 minutes a day to get up to speed. (no pun intended) When I take one of my "one-shooters" to the range, I always finish up with a couple of speed loading sessions.

Paul B.

Paul,
Thanks for the info. The excuse I posted is the one I hear a lot.
I have never hunted dangerous game, but 99% of my hunting is with a single-shot.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Poor shooting skills. Lack of confidence. Peer pressure.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd agree with some here that expense and not feeling confident with a single round are the two most significant reasons singles are passed by. About 25% of my units are singles with the rest being bolts. They all get loaded with a single round though. Mostly I just like the lines and simplicity of single shots. 1Minute

1Minute
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 222Sako, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 12,642 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,369
Posts18,547,149
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.