Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
101guns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just saw a friend's gun in this make and caliber. It's a BDL and must weigh 12+ pounds. Not a scratch on it. Anyone familiar with this set up. It has a multiple recticle Tasco 6-24 scope with rangefinder. Looks to have been purchased with gun. He told me to make him an offer if im interested.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend of mine had one and I have regretted not buying it when I had the chance. I really like the 6mm round and I really like heavy barrels. I need to go KICK myself again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first rifle is a Remington ADL 6mm and I have taken many deer with it. It was erratic when I bought it but thanks to knowledge learned on this and other forums it is now very accurate. I had the trigger worked, free floated it myself, recrowned it myself (took maybe fifteen seconds) and had it bedded. It is now my varminter with coyote and bobcat the intended victims. I swapped out my fixed 6x with #4 for a 3-12x42 Sightron and am loading 85 grain Sierra hpbt's. More than needed but fast enough for me and will work for deer according to thousands who use it. So what exactly are you asking?
[*]It is a Remington BDL you are getting so that is a definite known quantity in this equation. Absolutely expect it to shoot at least one load fabulously
[*]It is a varminter so you are expecting the weight
[*]24 inch barrel -too big - too short - just right ? what?
[*]trigger can be easily worked on by any smith for not much money
[*]6mm is possibly the best varminter round for the larger ones
[*]the scope say Tasco so I would already be looking for something else (strictly personal opinion)
Now the caution: this cartridge, especially for varmint, is really best suited for someone who rolls his own ammo. 70- 75 grain bullets would just humm in that rig but you won't find them offered. The closest thing is Federals 80 grain. Use it or just shoot 100 grain Fed, Rem, Hornady (favorite), Winchester..... Or have someone make you exactly what you would want on line. I have done this before I started reloading and was able to get 55 grain loads that absolutely screamed. Just depends on what varmint you want to hunt and how far you plan to shoot.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
PM me your friends phone number and I'll take it if the price is right....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds like my Varmint Special. You're right on the weight, ever ounce of 12 lbs. Good deer cartridge but not a deer rifle. From what I have heard of bean field rifles this would probably do it. But when I first saw mine the first thought was "pdog town, take me to the pdog town".

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have owned that same rifle since 84'and I have had great luck handloading for it. Mine wears a 4.5x14 leupold w/knobs. My load of rel 19 w/ 71grn bthp (berger) shoots very well. I've never gotten it to a pd town but it really wacks crows. While letting barrels cool at the range, I shoot clay pigeons on the 600yd berm with the 6mm
steve

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Is this gun a Remington Varmint Special? Basically an early version of the Sendero. I bought 2 of them this year. One a 70's vintage, the other an 80's vintage. Barrels are 24" and heavy. Paid $450 ea., no scope. They drive tacks.

Too old to suffer fools
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

One just sold on auctionarms.com (search item #8095386) for $499 and it was nowhere near as clean as what you've described. I've owned quite a few of the Varmint Special 700's, and have typically sold real clean (better than 95%) versions for around $525, less scope or rings/bases. The scope is probably worth $50-75 on the used market. If it's an early version (pressed checkering), it will be worth at least a $50 premium over the later (cut checkering) version as they are much harder to find in such good shape.

I'm not a dealer, so these are just my observations from owning/trading/selling more than 50 Rem. 700's.

On the 6mm Rem.; To get the most out of it, you will probably need to handload. I have not found a rifle chambered in this cartridge that will shoot factory loads anywhere close to its accuracy potential. They are typically good enough for pig/deer accuracy, but fall a bit short for the accuracy demands of long-range varmint shooting. A good handload with a frangible 55-75 gr. bullet will do amazing things to critters the size of ground squirrels!

Rich

"One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a Congress."
- John Adams
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
I just looked at one of these in 22-250. It has what looked like Leupy bases and rings and a Simmons 6.5-20 scope. I can get it out the door for $490. That's right at $450 when you back out the tax. The rifle's in good condition, not spotless, I'd say probably 90% or better though. No bluing wear and only handling marks on the stock.

What's it worth?

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the area where I live the scope would be worth $50-75 and the rifle @ 90% would be a $300-350 kind of deal.

For me total project no more than 4 bills at the top end.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Thanks Mark. I was just on GA and there was one on there listed for $750, which I thought was a little steep. If I do buy it, the scope will be replaced with a Leupy of some variety. Just weighing options. Looks like a new BDL, which doesn't come in heavy barrel, is selling for around $600+tax.

Thanks again,

David

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
David,

Varmint Specials will command a premium when they are super clean (95% or better), but lesser cond. rifles only bring average prices. Figure $50-75 for the scope, so $400 for the rifle is okay. This assumes that the throat is good. Just like Dober said, prices will vary depending on location. Where I live, a dealer could easily sell a Varmint Special in 90% condition for $450, plus tax and transfer. Bottom line is, if you like it, buy it and enjoy!

Rich

"One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a Congress."
- John Adams
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amen to that Rich!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
From what I have read about Remington's quality control lately, I would rather buy one of the early one's in .243. I sold one just like that years ago. Not real handy for calling in coyotes.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
First of all, 101, sorry if I may have inadvertantly hijacked your thread, but it's given me some good answers. Thanks for that.

I went back and talked to the guy at the shop yesterday afternoon and walked out with the gun for $460. That includes the rifle, what look like Leupy bases and rings but with no logo, and the Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50 scope. After shooting it this morning, I'm very, very pleased with my purchase. The scope is marginal at best, but it works for now. I shot 3 different factory loads with it this morning all going under 1" at 100 yards. No premiums. The silver box Winnies in 55gr. spire point, the "value pack" 40 pack of Winnies from Wally-World in 45gr. HP and the Hornady 55gr. v-max moly (maybe a premium). After I got used to it, I set a target at 200, and shot a 3 shot group with the 45 cheapos into 3/4". So yes, I'm very pleased. As for condition, the barrel has one spot at the muzzle with a little wear, otherwise spotless. The stock has a couple of honest handling marks, mostly around the swivel bases, but nothing major. I feel all could be raised/repaired. These are of no concern to me, as I don't foresee me ever selling this rifle. This is my first small calibre, unless you count the .257Bob. It's a lot of fun to shoot, especially after putting 20 350gr. loads through my .375H&H. A VX-III 6.5-20x50 is in the not-too-distant furure for sure.

Thanks for the information fellows,

P.S. I looked into it on the net last night, and it appears to have been built in Nov. of 1992.
David Walker

Last edited by x2mosg; 07/28/07.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 101guns
I just saw a friend's gun in this make and caliber. It's a BDL and must weigh 12+ pounds. Not a scratch on it. Anyone familiar with this set up. It has a multiple recticle Tasco 6-24 scope with rangefinder. Looks to have been purchased with gun. He told me to make him an offer if im interested.

Sounds like the earlier wooden stocked Varmint Special, as already mentioned.

I've said this before, and here it comes again...

Hands down, the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned was that same model and sdame caliber that you're looking at.

Sadly (or stupidly), I sold it about 10 years ago when I moved to a non-groundhog area. And... I'm now back where I was, hunting groundhogs, and still missing that rifle.

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have that exact rifle, bought it in new/unfired condition about 4 years ago. Last year it fired a 25-shot group that went .707" with 70grain SMKs at just a shade under 3700fps. I've shot many, many 10-shot groups at 200 yards that are sub-1". Favorite load is 52 grains of H414 and 55 grain NBT for 4100fps and some change. This rifle/caliber combo is a 'chuck's worst nightmare. This is one rifle that you'll never be sorry you bought!! ~JT

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,247
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.