-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While the 7mm Ultra and STW have impressive ballistics, my preference would be the use of a 24-inch barrel rifle. In that 24-inch barrel class, the 7mm Rem Mag has impressive ballistics and is one of my favorites. I honestly believe the 270 Wby is just as impressive and I almost purchased one years ago prior to the 7mm Rem Mag.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a 270 grin

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sounds like you need a 7MM Sharpe and Hart. Best of both worlds. Also, if the recoil of a 7 Rem Mag is PAINFUL your stock doesn't fit. Period.

Wayne

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
How about a 7mm Dakota

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I own 280's & 7 Wby's. One will pretty much do what the other will. I just happen to love my 7 Wby. I took my larget whitetail buck with my 280 Encore last year.

280 Rem, 280 Imp, 7 Rem Mag, 7 Wby will do all you want to do. Pick one and be happy.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I won a Sako 7MM UltraMag & am interested in trying out the cartridge. I would never have purchased the rifle in this cal. since I have a 300 Win.Mag.,257 Weatherby, 7MM Gibbs,& 280. The RUM can be used for bullets up to 160G. so it could be used as a "One Gun" for African plains game. But, thats not much fun.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NightBugle
No, I'm not recoil sensitive. I mentioned the RUM maybee having too much recoil only in that it may have more barrel jump or recoil in order to MOA accuracy. My old 7 Rem. wich I had loaded pretty hot I could consistantly shoot 5 shot groups at 100 yrds that I could cover with quarter. Never really shot paper at farther than that. But with that rifle I killed two elk, one at 350 and one right at 300, both one shot drop in their tracks shots.
My only reasoning behind the RUM would be a flatter trajectory. Maybe it's not enough to consider. The thinking behind the WSM is the so called potential better acurracy with a shorter action, meaning less twisting or deforming at the time of the shot, again I don't know if there is enough potential there to worry about???
I now prefer to hunt elk with a bow but the idea of hunting pronghorn and desert deer with something that can reach out there is very intrieging.
As far as what I'm going to put on top of it...I'm not sure yet. I do know I want some quality glass with a compisating turret on top.
I do hand load my own, so that is a plus.

NB,
I have cleanly taken deer/antelope with the ranges you prescribe with the cartridges I mentioned earlier. The 7-08 may be on the lighter side but it has done well for me in the 4-500 yd ranges on deer/antelope-5 animals come to mind. The 280/284 Win class cartridges on up will give you more fudge factor. Personal preferences would be the 284 Win, 7WSM and the 7mm Dakota.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You hit the nail on the head knockdown!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I offered my custom 7 ultra for sale on the classifieds last week. Look for " Flattest shooter on the planet".

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it's so bad why the sale?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 24_7
My opinion is to go with the 7mm Rem Mag because it will take an animal cleanly and quickly at 500 yards. My only fret is you seemed to be afraid of recoil. A 7mm Rem Mag will be very hard on the shoulder at the bench using premium slow burning rounds. I think you should get the 7mm Rem Mag, use premium rounds, get ready to feel the pain at the range and keep practicing until the pain doesn't matter any more.

I really chopped up the above post, just so that's clear...

That said, the 7mm Rem Mag's recoil cannot possibly be as bad as you say. I've never fired one, somehow, but I shoot a few heavier calibers and the recoil of THOSE is not as you describe! Don't freak him out for no good reason... for some people, a 7 mag is an absolute powder puff.

-jeff

Last edited by Jeff_Olsen; 08/13/07.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love the 7RM but if I were going to buy another 7 for long range work, that means I would probably shoot a lot. Which means belted cases are out due to case life. I'd go 7WSM.

Thank God for Mississippi!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My opinion is to go with the 7mm Rem Mag because it will take an animal cleanly and quickly at 500 yards. My only fret is you seemed to be afraid of recoil. A 7mm Rem Mag will be very hard on the shoulder at the bench using premium slow burning rounds. I think you should get the 7mm Rem Mag, use premium rounds, get ready to feel the pain at the range and keep practicing until the pain doesn't matter any more.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh That is one of the most humorous posts that I have ever read.Having owned three 7mmremmags and three 7mmstw rifles,I found all to be quite manageable,certainly not at all "hard on the shoulder".Now if you were 100 lbs,the recoil might be substantial to you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you only sell "junk" and keep the good stuff ? Just kidding-I couldn't resist it !It is a fair question .

I just retired from work the first of the year . I'm trying to simplify my life . Got a 6mm AI for a walk-about W.T.rifle . Got a 257 wby in Mark V with syn stock for bad weather and West Tex M.D. [jeep] hunting .Got another No. 1 in 270 wby that I bought as a donor a couple years ago but it is a tackdriver so I put a $300 set trigger on it and it has become my favorite .Got a really good shooting 338 Ultra that don't get used enough .

Maybe the main reason ? I put a euro Swaro on the 257 and an AV swaro on the 270 . I just kind of gravitate to one of them . With my reduced income [read broke!] status , I can't put a swaro on the 7 Ultra !

If you want to find the thread in the classifieds , you will see I didn't try REAL hard to sell it ! When I saw this thread , it seemed the poster might could use it . Hate to see something this good go un-used .

I've had 7 rem mags and still think it is the best choice for a one rifle guy . Had to smile at the recoil comment .Had a 7 STW . I figured [ rightly ] that the Ultra w/ long barrel might let me use RL 25 instead of RL 22 which is as slow as I could go in the 300 Ultra, 338 ultra ,and STW .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You got yourself a damm fine rounded out group of cartridges.Your set up good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I'd of had a good shooting STW , I wouldn't have traded it for an Ultra just to get the extra whiz . Truth is that one will basically do what the other will as far as hunting .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7mmRemMag, 7mmWSM. In that order.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by raybass
Get a 270 grin

And throw it in the river.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
JBD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't worry about recoil with the 7mm Ultra. I have used one in a Sendero extensivly and it will definitely get the job done without excessive recoil. An STW will do just as well. My longest kills have been with the 7mm Ultra on both Mule Deer and Whitetail across canyons in the west and beanfields in the east. If you are looking for a 7mm give both catridges a close look. If you can arrange to shoot one it would be even better.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
ACtually FWIW smaller folks tend to deal with recoil much easier than larger folks. ITs the largest folks I"ve dealt with that squeal the most..... Have a big ex college football player now a local PT.... had to put a brake on his 338 win mag... I'd worked all the loads and ammo and etc.... up with nothing more than a rest.... no past or anything.....

But to say a 7 rem mag kicks.... wow, go try a 378 wtby some day.....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (Boarmaster123, 7mm_Loco, BlackHunter, blackhawk44, aaronward9, 10gaugemag, 7 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,442
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.