Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
CAS: There may be better long-range TARGET bullets today than then 160-gr Gameking, but the topic is antelope hunting, and the alternative bullets suggested were the 120-gr Nosler BT and the TSX.

southtexas: Muzzle exit speed is all you need to compute energy and the drop below the horizontal bore line.

You also need one dimension of direction, elevation, to compute rise above and fall below the bore line and sight line for your choice of a target zero range.

If I were trying to impress physicists, I might be more precise.

If I am trying to make point about hunting ballistics, I try to discuss it in terms most people understand.

If I am being harassed by people who don't know enough to know how little they know, I really don't care if they can't follow the explanation.

HR IC

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lee24
CAS: There may be better long-range TARGET bullets today than then 160-gr Gameking, but the topic is antelope hunting, and the alternative bullets suggested were the 120-gr Nosler BT and the TSX.

So wait, which is it, should we just stick to discussing hunting bullets, or are you going to start with the tales of the 160gr GK out of the 7x57 setting competition records?

You're back into that jackrabbit mode again. Slow down, Skippy, you're confusing yourself.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The FACT that the Gameking beat all the .308 match bullets in various matches for a decade is evidence that this HUNTING bullet is a superior long-range bullet, period - accurate, wind-resistant, and predictable - contrary to the assertions of those who insisted otherwise. That is not a "tale"; the NRA record books contain the places and dates.

But I had some people tell me I was an idiot for saying the .308 168-gr Matchking was a good long-range deer bullet. I guess our military snipers need you folks to set them straight, too.

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Skippy, slow down. Now we are talking about sniper bullets? Crap, just one post ago we were talking about hunting bullets, then target bullets, now you changed the topic again to sniper bullets?

For the love of Pete, Man. try and stay on topic!

Reading back, no one posted that the GK wasn't accurate, wind resistant, or predictable, they just pointed out that the difference in wind drift over hunting ranges was negligible. For the luxury of a whopping 1.5" difference in drift at 400 yards, you got to pay a price in increased recoil and more drop. not much of a trade, IMO. Again, had you EVER fired a shot, you would know such things. Magazines and internet articles don't normally point out the intricacies that can be observed from just jerking the trigger a few times.

So, getting back on topic, if the sole reason that the 160gr GameKing is, as you say, "a superior long-range bullet" because it is "accurate, wind-resistant, and predictable", then in order to be intellectually honest, you must also argue that the bullets I listed are in fact superior to the GameKing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
southtexas: If I were trying to impress physicists, I might be more precise.

You obviously haven't been too successful with impressing ANYONE, physicists or otherwise, and you are embarrassing us everyday engineers. Sometimes it's best just to shut up and go away. But I do understand that you have other motives.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by castandblast
bdan-I was dissappointed in the velocities I was getting from my 7-08 with heavy bullets. Couldn't get close to advertised velocities with published data. (It has a short 20" barrel). Maybe with more powder experimentation I could get a 160 grain load to break 2600, but so far none have. I just went lighter on the bullets instead, trying to stay above 2700fps. Wouldn't you agree that there is a point at which low muzzle velocity begins to become a factor because it effects trajectory and remaining velocity at 400 yards?

Yes, I would have to say if you can't get above 2700 fps it might make sense to go with a lighter bullet. The 160's are probably ideal in the 280 Rem. and the 7 Mags, but maybe a little heavy for the little 7/08. I think if that was the case I would go with either a 140 or 150 grain, probably in the Nosler Ballistic Tip. But I don't think it makes sense to go lighter than 140 in a 7mm. (Barnes TSX might be an exception though)

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm thinking that this is a great excuse to build a 280AI to solve the problem for good. (As if I needed another excuse, or another rifle.....). wink

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
VAnimrod -
Why don't you respond to the thread topic with YOUR experience hunting deer or antelope, and with the 7mm-08 in particular?

Never shot a critter, personally, with a 7-08, nor a 'lope. Never claimed to, either.

Whacked stuff with a 7x57, and much other stuff, though. BT/DT with pards who have sluiced critters via the 7-08.

Pic can and will prove as necessary.

Simply stated, I hunt, I kill schit, I can prove it. You don't, won't, or can't.

Your choice as to the latter options.

Put up; shut up.

That's about where it stands.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
southtexas: The comprehension problem is that you are not an engineer or a physicist.

Nimrod: Since you didn't put up, will you please shut up?

At the risk of stirring up painful memories for TSX worshippers, see the suggestion in my original post about also trying the 154-gr SST at expected hunting ranges and wind.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yes, I am.

It is curious that you persist in making declarative statements when you have no data. This tendency results in your often being incorrect and losing even more credibility.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So, what kind of physicist or engineer are you, that you cannot discuss basic concepts of ballistics, scalars, and vectors?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the kind that knows that speed is not a dimension.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Wrong, southtexas. The answer is you are not qualified to critique engineering calculations.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What the hell makes you qualified to say southtexas ain't quailified?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And upon exactly what data are you basing your opinion that I am not qualified?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wrong, southtexas. The answer is you are not qualified to critique engineering calculations.

dude...

Jim

"The skillful woodsman who knows his game, and who gets close, can keep himself in venison or moose meat with a rifle most of us would consider entirely inadequate." - Jack O'Connor
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
southtexas: The comprehension problem is that you are not an engineer or a physicist.

At the risk of stirring up painful memories for TSX worshippers, see the suggestion in my original post about also trying the 154-gr SST at expected hunting ranges and wind.

Just a couple dead critters, that I've smoked:

[Linked Image]

More dead critters as I get some old pics scanned in. Or, I can have a couple fellas here that I've hunted with chime in.

Your turn.....

Comprende', compadre'?

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll see your two dead chucks (although mine are both headless!)... and raise you a coyote with a big a$$ bullet hole (yeah buddy... that's the entrance!)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Just a couple dead critters, that I've smoked:

[Linked Image]

More dead critters as I get some old pics scanned in. Or, I can have a couple fellas here that I've hunted with chime in.

Your turn.....

Comprende', compadre'?

Did you snag one of those LS Fireballs VA?

Last edited by castandblast; 08/29/07.
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 33 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,614
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.