Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
I'm hoping the VX3-HD 2.5-8 will fit on my Kimber 84m with Talley lightweight low rings. Haven't had a chance to mount it yet. Rings arrived the other day, so I just have to find the time to work on it.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It should fit just fine with room to spare. .260 is a short action. Whether or not you have enough room to move it back and forth in the rings to get the eye relief YOU WANT is the issue. From what I've seen with the Talley LWs is that the rings, being one piece with the base, fit closer to the ejection port than rings you put on separate bases. So, I suspect you will have no issues at all. I think it's more of a concern for people using that scope in rings on separate bases, especially on long actions.

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Thanks, 10Glocks, I'm looking forward to setting it up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is my solution with that scope using separate rings and bases. I am using Talley steel bases.

I can use the 2.5-8X36 on a long action using standard bases with zero room to spare. And on a short action with a little room to spare. So I use extended bases on my short action and double extended on my long action to get more room to move the scope closer to my eye. That's enough to keep this scope back far enough so I don't have to crawl the stock to get a proper view.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Here is my solution with that scope using separate rings and bases. I am using Talley steel bases.

I can use the 2.5-8X36 on a long action using standard bases with zero room to spare. And on a short action with a little room to spare. So I use extended bases on my short action and double extended on my long action to get more room to move the scope closer to my eye. That's enough to keep this scope back far enough so I don't have to crawl the stock to get a proper view.

My stainless classic 375HH has a 2.5-8x36 on it and it fits fine with the extended bases. I’d never want those double extended ones, they look horrible and I don’t like shot hanging over my ejection port.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE

My stainless classic 375HH has a 2.5-8x36 on it and it fits fine with the extended bases. I’d never want those double extended ones, they look horrible and I don’t like shot hanging over my ejection port.

Shut your cock holster. You know nothing about this. Commie chkunt.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It may fit, but you don't have any significant room to adjust for eye relief. Here's the same scope on a .308 short action using an extended front base. Even on the short action there is little room.

I'd rather be able to adjust for proper eye relief by using an adequate base and not have to crawl the stock than worry about how it looks. The double extended bases doesn't affect function whatsoever.

Here's my .300WM with a 3.5-10 which is significantly longer than the 2.5-8. If the 2.5-8 were on this rifle with the doubler extended base, it would have about as much room for back and forth adjustment as the scope does on the .308.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

It may fit, but you don't have any significant room to adjust for eye relief. Here's the same scope on a .308 short action using an extended front base. Even on the short action there is little room.

I'd rather be able to adjust for proper eye relief by using an adequate base and not have to crawl the stock than worry about how it looks. The double extended bases doesn't affect function whatsoever.

Here's my .300WM with a 3.5-10 which is significantly longer than the 2.5-8. If the 2.5-8 were on this rifle with the doubler extended base, it would have about as much room for back and forth adjustment as the scope does on the .308.

I’ve been pretty lucky, I don’t have any issues with eye relief or position with the extended mounts but you are right, there is really only about 1/4” of adjustment if one wanted to move the scope. Normally I would have just put a 1.5-5 on that rifle but we were headed out on a bear hunt and I couldn’t find a 1.5-5 anywhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I’ve been pretty lucky, I don’t have any issues with eye relief or position with the extended mounts but you are right, there is really only about 1/4” of adjustment if one wanted to move the scope. Normally I would have just put a 1.5-5 on that rifle but we were headed out on a bear hunt and I couldn’t find a 1.5-5 anywhere.

It's all relative to the shooter. So if it works for you, then the extended are perfect. I like my cheek on the stock at pretty much the same place on all my rifles. I don't want to have to crawl the stock. But what's crawling for me may be normal for someone else.

Here's the situation I ran into when I mounted the 2.5-8 on my X-Bolt .30-06 in Warne mounts. The top X-Bolt is a .270 with a 3.5-10, and the bottom is the .30-06 with the 2.5-8. The 2.5-8 is shorter than the 3.5-10. You can see where the eye pieces were relative to each other. The 3.5-10 was behind the safety while the eyepiece on the 2.5-8 was in front of it. There was zero room to move the 2.5-8 back so I didn't have to crawl the stock.

So when I decided I couldn't tolerate two different cheek welds on essentially the same rifle, I had to flip the front base around to be able to move the scope back. Now I can plant my cheek at the same point on the .30-06 as I do the .270. I don't like the overhang, but I need functional more than pretty, and the overhang does not in any way interfere with ejections. It's totally reliable.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Tag

Psalm 119:71

It was good for me to be afflicted so that I may learn your decrees.
IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by UnderMountain
I'm hoping the VX3-HD 2.5-8 will fit on my Kimber 84m with Talley lightweight low rings. Haven't had a chance to mount it yet. Rings arrived the other day, so I just have to find the time to work on it.

Should work fine.

I bought a Kimber 84M Classic .308 the other day it had a Leupold VXIII 3.5 x 10 40mm on it sitting in standard Leupold rings.....I sold it and I'm waiting on my Tally bases and plan on putting a Z6I 1x6 Swarovski on it.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I've got 3 Kimber 84M rifles....223, 7mm-08 and .338 Fed. Have a VX3 2.5-8 on the .223 and VX(1 & 2) 2-7 x 33 on the the other two, all in Talley Lightweight lows. Works perfectly and you can turn the mounts around to provide mounting the scope further back or further ahead. Enjoy the new rifle and scope!

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by UnderMountain
I'm setting up a Kimber Montana in .260 Remington. This rifle is going to be used on New England whitetails at ranges under 300 yards, with most shots in the 75-150 yard range. But--I do occasionally jump deer in the woods at very close range, so the ability to get a quick accurate shot off is also of importance. I'm pretty much set and forget as far as adjustments in the field, so the CDL turret is probably something I don't need (but never tried one so who knows?). I really like the VX3 1-75-6 and have had good experiences with older Leupold 2.5-8 models. Those scopes seem pretty much unobtainable now so I thought I'd go new with one of the scopes in the title. I like saving money, but Are the new Leupolds as good or possibly better than the discontinued versions? Anyone have experience or advice to offer?

From what I see Leupold is headed down a dark road with their current line of scopes ...they look cheap they have too many bells and whistles on them.

Leupold will never compete with the top line Swarovski or Schmidt and Bender scopes the market is small and the top two are going to be hard to beat....Leopold isn't capable.

Leupold should have stuck to their proven line of scopes....VXII and VXIII.

Last one I bought was a Leupold VXIII 1&3/4 to 5 with an elevation turret on top...I didn't need the turret crap but it was either buy it like that or go used. I noticed it was discontinued and I went ahead and bought one. Seems like a nice scope I'm just not crazy about the dial on top.

Only reason I haven't sold it is because I don't like to take a beating on a scope plus I might come up.with something to put it on.

To answer your question I would diffinetly go Leupold used.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,917
Posts18,498,401
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.