Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My first big game archery success, (not really that big, but its a start)
[Linked Image]
I think I could really get into this. Will be looking forward to all your advice and opinions. As you can see by my old bow I will be needing some.

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice shot placement...grin..

Just funnin' and congrats on your first bow kill...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always said a bow hunt starts, where a gun hunt ends. LOTS of fun but it can also be very humbling at times. TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A rush like no other!

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The thread title had me thinking you took the g/f out hunting. grin J/K! Congrats!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Any animal taken with a bow is a trophy. Congrats.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
i have yet to shoot anything but the unfortinate yet tasty squirles that pass by my cabin during small game sesion lol

a silenced soul will soon leave a .270s hole...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best to remove the arrow before the photo shoot...Congrates

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys, I thought I would leave the arrow in for the effect of the unusual shot placement. Thats what happens when you take someone who usually hunts elk with a 270 and mostly takes head and neck shots and put a bow in there hand. OOOpps.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Good job and the pic is great too. Keep shooting.

Joseph

Joseph
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BroncoLope
Thanks guys, I thought I would leave the arrow in for the effect of the unusual shot placement. Thats what happens when you take someone who usually hunts elk with a 270 and mostly takes head and neck shots and put a bow in there hand. OOOpps.

Just a hint not a slam on ya but a neck shot with a bow is an iffy shot.When you get ready for the shot keep thinking"right behind the shoulder........right behind the shoulder"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not bad, but i wouldnt recommend aiming for a neck shot, very iffy, glad you killed her, hopefully quickly. Put that arrow through the lungs and they wont go any farther than a rifle shot deer.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Any animal is a trophy with a bow, but as others mentioned.... neck should equal a mistake shot, not on purpose!

Congrats and keep going!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice. Don't get too happy on the need a new bow thing though. Looks like that one worked fine. Blooded mine newst one this year. plan on keeping it for a while too.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No suffering, She dropped like she was shot with a rifle. Broke her neck and cut her spinal cord.I Will be aiming at lungs and heart though.

Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats, It's amazing how fast a well hit animal goes 'lights out' with a good shot.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats BroncoLope. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the rest of your season.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
BroncoLope, Congratulations on your first deer kill with a bow!

From the title, I was at first skeered to read this post and hoped neither you nor that doe lost your virginity during the encounter..:)( hillbilly humor)

Concerning the high hit..Tell us a bit about your shooting method..assume sight pins?

IF I was to bet, I would bet that when you draw, you draw up and then come DOWN on the mark and then execute the release-loose.

This can be a problem when excited as often one doesn't really get down to proper line and settled before releasing..but do expond a bit on how you shoot..
Hope you didn't use the wrong pin..:)

With a stickbow anyhow, I push-pull draw up to full draw and anchor on the line for the shot..never ABOVE the line and then settling back down..Target archers do that ( mostly for theatrical effect..:)and some hunters may develop that habit to break over heavy compounds but it magnifies movement and also can lead to premature release before on line where one needs to be....Jim

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks,
LOL, buddy almost took a picture when I spread her legs to start gutting. Would not have been a good one I was getting a rock out from under my knee and it would have looked pretty bad.
I draw from the ground up, habit from practicing in my back yard. I have a downhill to a stream. If I draw up I would be coming across a forest road behind my property at full draw, as I came on target. I can't judge distance for crap so I mounted my rangefinder on my counter balance probably not the best thing, but easy access to check before the shot. She was 43yds my pins are set at 20,30,40,50,60. So I used the 40 and aimed a little high that was probably the reason. Arrow might have hit a twig between the two trees, it's hard to remember in the heat of the moment. I was a full draw and anchored, waiting for her to walk between two trees, so no premature release.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (160user, 219DW, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 62 invisible), 1,900 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,266
Posts18,525,357
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.