Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Docbar Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I always enjoyed reading John Wootters. I’m sure many here did too. I recently found a web page containing pictures and many of his articles and wanted to share it here.

https://johnwootters.com/gallery

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thanks, have a couple of his books

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thnx Doc

I like JW also.
At first I was skeptical of a few things he wrote
but I verified those.

I think he was entertaining as well as informative.

I have a couple of his sayings etched in my mind.

Thnx for the link.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have mentioned before that the very first time I met John (at one of my first SHOT Shows, and I attended my first in 1988) he said that gun writing was entertainment. He'd done "real journalisim" while working for the Houston newspaper, including reporting on a major hurricane, so knew what he was talking about. That said, he was a great gun journalist--and hunting story teller!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Thanks. I have one of his books…“The complete book of Practical hand loading”. It gave me several ideas about reloading projects and techniques.
I always enjoyed reading his work, kinda like those of our Mule Deer

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Docbar Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
He was one of my favorites when I discovered Peterson Hunting in the early 90’s, along with Milek, Barsness and Coogan. I also really enjoyed reading Gary Sitton. He always grabbed my attention. I still have most of those magazines, and occasionally dig them out and take a trip down memory lane. Good stuff.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have some of those magazines, and also dig them out!

I knew Gary Sitton too, though not was well as John Wootters--who aside from in-person meetings used to phone once in a while, and his calls were always pretty long!

Unfortunately, Gary had some personal demons (as quite a few really good writers have since the inception of the written word), and consequently left us long before he might have. Would have loved to read his take on hunting and rifles today.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Docbar
He was one of my favorites when I discovered Peterson Hunting in the early 90’s, along with Milek, Barsness and Coogan. I also really enjoyed reading Gary Sitton. He always grabbed my attention. I still have most of those magazines, and occasionally dig them out and take a trip down memory lane. Good stuff.

Gary Sitton! Now there is someone who could really write some great articles and stories. I always turned to his page first (the last page of the magazine, iirc) whenever I got the new issue. Wish I would have kept those magazines.

Wooters was also excellent. I believe he was a big .308 fan.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I knew Gary Sitton too, though not was well as John Wootters--who aside from in-person meetings used to phone once in a while, and his calls were always pretty long!

Unfortunately, Gary had some personal demons (as quite a few really good writers have since the inception of the written word), and consequently left us long before he might have. Would have loved to read his take on hunting and rifles today.

Gary was one of my favorites. He never actually came out and detailed the personal demons you speak of but he clearly dropped hints along the way that he made a mess of his life at times. But he was a brilliant writer. He wrote columns under a pen name as well. Also brilliant.

IC B3

D
Docbar Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by WarAdmiral

Gary was one of my favorites. He never actually came out and detailed the personal demons you speak of but he clearly dropped hints along the way that he made a mess of his life at times. But he was a brilliant writer. He wrote columns under a pen name as well. Also brilliant.

I believe his pen name was Jacob Bowers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks a million for posting this !

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got to meet him once around 1990 at a Hunting&Fishing Show.I always enjoyed John's writings.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really wish that whoever has Gary Sitton's estate would put together, as many books as it would take, an anthology of his work. His back of the magazine articles were worth the price of admission, and then some. May he RIP.

D
Docbar Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by deltakid
I really wish that whoever has Gary Sitton's estate would put together, as many books as it would take, an anthology of his work. His back of the magazine articles were worth the price of admission, and then some. May he RIP.

Agreed. I remember many great articles from him. Squirrel rifles, lever action rifles for turkey, hunting Alaska with a reader who won the trip, and many more.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I always like John Wooter's work. He wrote well. I enjoyed his style. I've got nothing against him, and I write this more as a question than a condemnation.

John wrote a book, Hunting Trophy Deer , published in 1977. I've got a copy here in front of me. John used his vast knowledge of hunting whitetails in Texas to its utmost. This and several articles he wrote got hunters thinking about culling inferior bucks. This is a story of unintended consequences.

The next thing you know, the whole world was burning their deer tags on every misshapen rack they could find. When I started my stint over at Deer & Deer Hunting, there was a large mass of hunters who were determined to rid the world of inferior bucks. I was appalled. I had read Wooter's book at the dawn of my hunting career-- picked it up used at the bookstore over on the next block. The part folks seemed to be missing was the part where all this culling was taking place behind a high fence. I've got nothing against high fences either. It's just that you cannot do effective culling on anything but a captive population. I was surrounded by men determined to rid their farms, national forests, and WMA's-- the entirety of our fruited plains, from sea to shining sea of inferior bucks.

Thankfully, that nonsense has died down in the past decade or so. I am proud of whatever small part I had in its demise.

As I dug back as to a reason for this madness, I came back to Wooters. It is a tribute to Mister Wooters that his idea of culling spread so far and so fully. However, I was not really paying attention to all this when it happened. I did not start deer hunting until the early 80's, and I read outdoor magazines mostly things other than hunting. On my first pass, deer hunting content got just a cursory glance. By the time I started paying attention, Hunting Trophy Whitetails had been out for some time , and there were articles everywhere about how to cull your herd and what to look out for in a cull buck.

I think one of the saddest things in all this was all the poor wretches that posted their cull buck pics on the burgeoning new medium of internet forums. Rather than proudly proclaiming their success at hunting, guys tried to make it sound like they'd done the world a favor. Truth is, that "cull buck" probably could have grown into something awesome given a few more years. It took until about the 2010's for the culling fashion to die out.

I have questions for you all. First off, am I correct in saying Wooters popularized this whole culling thing? I never read anything by anyone about this subject prior to him. Second, why didn't anyone do anything? What I mean is that it is pretty obvious that culling a wild herd is spitting in the ocean. Someone besides me must have seen the madness for what it was.

To what extent did Wooter's change high fence hunting? What I remember from early the '80s was that "cull hunts" were a big thing. Guys readily signed up for a chance to hunt deer with 8 points or less at a discount. Did Wooters influence or popularize this, or did he just document the fad?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read that book a long time ago. I don’t recall him advocating for anything like that, but then again it was years ago. Seems at odds with my impression of Wooters.

“Not many of us live long enough to kill a giant buck by accident.” John Wooters Trophy Bucks, Sports Afield October, 1977

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/21/21.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by WarAdmiral

I believe his pen name was Jacob Bowers.

You are correct, Sir. I came across a few Peterson's Hunting magazines last night from the early 90's and that's the name he was writing under at the time. Very talented writer.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by bluestem

Gary Sitton! Now there is someone who could really write some great articles and stories. I always turned to his page first (the last page of the magazine, iirc) whenever I got the new issue. Wish I would have kept those magazines.

Wooters was also excellent. I believe he was a big .308 fan.

Yep did the same thing.
I think Seyfried contributed as well.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shaman
I always like John Wooter's work. He wrote well. I enjoyed his style. I've got nothing against him, and I write this more as a question than a condemnation.

John wrote a book, Hunting Trophy Deer , published in 1977. I've got a copy here in front of me. John used his vast knowledge of hunting whitetails in Texas to its utmost. This and several articles he wrote got hunters thinking about culling inferior bucks. This is a story of unintended consequences.

The next thing you know, the whole world was burning their deer tags on every misshapen rack they could find. When I started my stint over at Deer & Deer Hunting, there was a large mass of hunters who were determined to rid the world of inferior bucks. I was appalled. I had read Wooter's book at the dawn of my hunting career-- picked it up used at the bookstore over on the next block. The part folks seemed to be missing was the part where all this culling was taking place behind a high fence. I've got nothing against high fences either. It's just that you cannot do effective culling on anything but a captive population. I was surrounded by men determined to rid their farms, national forests, and WMA's-- the entirety of our fruited plains, from sea to shining sea of inferior bucks.

Thankfully, that nonsense has died down in the past decade or so. I am proud of whatever small part I had in its demise.

As I dug back as to a reason for this madness, I came back to Wooters. It is a tribute to Mister Wooters that his idea of culling spread so far and so fully. However, I was not really paying attention to all this when it happened. I did not start deer hunting until the early 80's, and I read outdoor magazines mostly things other than hunting. On my first pass, deer hunting content got just a cursory glance. By the time I started paying attention, Hunting Trophy Whitetails had been out for some time , and there were articles everywhere about how to cull your herd and what to look out for in a cull buck.

I think one of the saddest things in all this was all the poor wretches that posted their cull buck pics on the burgeoning new medium of internet forums. Rather than proudly proclaiming their success at hunting, guys tried to make it sound like they'd done the world a favor. Truth is, that "cull buck" probably could have grown into something awesome given a few more years. It took until about the 2010's for the culling fashion to die out.

I have questions for you all. First off, am I correct in saying Wooters popularized this whole culling thing? I never read anything by anyone about this subject prior to him. Second, why didn't anyone do anything? What I mean is that it is pretty obvious that culling a wild herd is spitting in the ocean. Someone besides me must have seen the madness for what it was.

To what extent did Wooter's change high fence hunting? What I remember from early the '80s was that "cull hunts" were a big thing. Guys readily signed up for a chance to hunt deer with 8 points or less at a discount. Did Wooters influence or popularize this, or did he just document the fad?

Wooters started the whole "trophy management" QDM, raise your very own trophy buck bullshyt that has ruined deer hunting and been responsible for millions of posted signs going up and lease fees being charged all over the Country.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 33 invisible), 1,976 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,539
Posts18,531,126
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.