-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I would very much like to start trapping red fox around our place, but I know nothing about trapping! Could anyone recommend a good book or dvd that a beginner could get a good start with? There seems to be a lot of different books out there, but I want to find one for the complete novice, i.e. me!
thanks!

"To study without a book is to sail an uncharted sea, While to study only from books is not to go to sea at all" Sir William Osler
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Best thing to do is find an experienced traper in your area and ask him to be your mentor. Most all trappers will let you go with them on their line and will teach you a lot of what you need to know Reading good books will help but nothing beats hands on experience Find yourself some of Charlie Dobbin's books IMO his instructions are the best!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Find your local trappers' organization and join up. You'll find all the help you need.

Mathew 22: 37-39

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
One of the most used sets is the dirt hole set. Get your gear together and start to practice making the set in your backyard a few times a day. Come trapping season you will be able to bang one out real quick without making it a mess and leaving your scent all over.

My mentor used to time me and threatened to not let me in the woods if I didn't do it in less than 5 minutes.

-Piss into the wind.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would check out trapperman.com, and look through some of the threads there. I just started trapping 2 years ago, and learned everything I know from that site. Very knowledgable people.

Hope I dont get banned for promoting another site! just thought i would help.

joe

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tom Miranda made some very informative videos on trapping years ago. Also get ahold of a copy of any Fur Fish and Game mag and they have their own line of trapping videos. I haven't seen the fox but the mink and beaver were very informative.

Last edited by hunterdeneugene; 07/18/07.

my son was doing a science project on whales and he asked "whats a blow-hole for" and i said "I'll tell you what it's not for, and when I do, you'll understanded why I'm banned for life from Sea World"!
S
Sky Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Have you ever thought about going on a winter trapping trip with an outfitter? Spend a week doing it? You may have a good time and learn a lot.

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
J
J
I want to learn how to trap. I live in Oregon, and I've been to trapperman.com but I need to find something in Oregon, like Oregon trapper's association.

-Joed

Thanks Again

J
J
to any Portland, Oregon trappers. I'm licenced in the state of Oregon..Please Reply!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by joed
to any Portland, Oregon trappers. I'm licenced in the state of Oregon..Please Reply!

What do you want to know kid? That area is where I started. Still plenty of action to be had.

Owl

Spend time with your kids while THEY still have the time

We're out of paper so you'll have to wipe with a spotted owl

I married better than my wife did
IC B3

J
J

owl what size steel stretchers would be good
for the average size yote for western oregon

thinks joed

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 56 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,143
Posts18,502,764
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.