Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like leather on nice guns, so often buy it, but I also like light synthetics. Picked up a nice camo paracord sling on Amazon for my CZ All Terrain O/U. Looks good with the green Cerakote and is comfortable and none-slip. Made by Estobi $17.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like my old quick adjust Bucheimer.
Is perfect on my 760 .35 rem.

Am happy w basic carry slings by Andy's Leather too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I used an "Ultimate Gun Sling", by Specialty Outdoors, on my slug gun and muzzleloader last season. Worked like a dream, but with a lot of buckles and sliders on it, I'd be concerned that it would scratch up a nice walnut stock.

With my Montana sling, no such worries. And it's lighter in weight than the Ultimate.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I own 4 of these. Even in the rain duck hunting, this sling DOES NOT SLIP. The guy stands behind it too.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"TheClaw".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slogan Outdoors sling.

Best I’ve found in rubber slings.

Made in USA. Like a 25yr warranty. (Iirc)

If your a larger fellow, get the magnum size.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Need a few again. I don’t want leather.
Got a bunch of BC comfort stretch but want something thinner and “grippy” for some light rifles.

I have some mountain slings but usually make my own out of 1" nylon straps. I put shoe goo on them to make them grippy. They work quite well.

cool idea

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I like the Vero Vellini Slings in camo. Getting harder to find these.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017357372

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jackmountain;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that the last weekend of September was a good one for you and all in your world are well.

I was all ready to give you a glowing review of my favorite mountain rifle slings along with a link for same, whereupon I see they no longer are made.... cry

The folks at Redi-Mag in Oregon used to make a 1" nylon "Packer Strap" which had grippy rubber bits woven right into the webbing. They came with their proprietary swivels sewn right in and and while they're not the tightest or quietest swivels in the world, they're not the worst either.

It would appear they still make a 2" version with the rubber gripper compound woven in, but no longer make the 1", which is too bad as I've tried both and believe I've given away all the 2" ones now.

I should add that about 3/4 of the time I carry my rifle on my off or left side with the muzzle down and the rest of the time it's in my hands. Since we're hunting in both rough, steep country and also very much grizzly and black bear county, I carry that way as it allows me to carry a round in the chamber but the bolt up or not closed on it. If I happen upon something up close, it allows me to swing the rifle into action with my left hand and thumb the bold closed as it's brought up to shoot.

Anyways it takes longer to type than to actually accomplish. wink

In the past I've tried a couple different brands of plain nylon webbing slings and all of them were much too slippery for my usual way of hunting.

If you could find an old stock 1" Packer Strap with the gripper/rubber stuff in it, they were about $16 USD usually if memory serves.

Here's a link to the new ones, but again they're plain webbing and would be light enough, but like as not too slippery for my uses.
https://www.redi-mag.com/product-category/hunting/packer-strap/

The 2" one specifically mentions the gripper/rubber whatever it is.
https://www.redi-mag.com/product-category/hunting/2-2-sling-swivels/

Again these aren't horrible, but I found them needlessly bulky even though they're quite lightweight still.

Hope that was useful to you or someone out there. Good luck whichever way you decide and good luck on your hunts this fall as well for sure.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Slogan Outdoors sling.

+1 these are the bes0 I have ever used. You can cinch it up which greatly helps keep it from slipping off the shoulder- like every sling on the planet. It flexes too which greatly adds to comfort and lessens fatigue on the shoulder. Can be used a number of ways and great when climbing- you can slip into the middle of it and have the sling front and back side at same time. .

Last edited by kenjs1; 09/27/21.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Mountain Slings by Blackhawk/Butler Creek. If you can find the 1" wide ones they are the best but the 1 1/4" is all I have been able to find in the last several years. They are lightweight nylon with a strip of slip resistant material where the shoulder contacts. Comes with swivels for less than $20.00, well may be more these days, and are very lightweight and do not rot or mildew. I purchase them 4 to 6 at a time and just have them around when needed.

LGS had a bunch of these in a bin on sale for $10 a few years ago. Bought several. Should have bought them all.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Slogan Outdoors sling.

This, best I have used!

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A few years ago, I looked at a Boony Packer Safari sling. I made a quicky homemade version just to try out the concept and I liked it. So, I bought the real one. I much prefer it over a regular sling. The only issue is that when you're with other people, you need to be constantly aware of where the muzzle is pointing. I use a single trekking pole when hunting and don't have any problems with it. Using 2 poles might get cumbersome.

This for me also. They can be used in a multitude of carries. Muzzle up, down, gun across the back, on the shoulder, across the front, at the hip.
I use no other and have several. I also have several other type slings that haven't been on a gun in 15 years or more. I should sell them.....

Last edited by las; 09/27/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I’ve found the milsurlp green cotton slings for M1 carbines to be a fine rifle slimg. You used to be able to pick them up for a couple of bucks apiece. I expect they are more expensive now.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like the Brownell's latigo slings. The design is clever and it works well.

I don't particularly favor Brownell's as a business. They're kind of corporate-like, big business. Not as bad as Vista. So I suppose if I knew an individual craftsman that was making good slings, I'd favor them over the Brownell's, but I didn't the last time I needed a sling.

Now that I have the Brownell's, I might just make copies of it myself if I ever need more slings. I use Herman Oak veg-tanned leather. I like their harness leather better than latigo, but for a sling I might try bridle leather or even their tooling/holster/strap leather that I use for my holsters because it's harder.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Trader Keith’s sling

Made of the finest cotton (1.5" width) and impregnated with two rows of silicone rubber to prevent slipping. There are two sizes: fits one inch or three-quarter inch swivels.

Great for carrying a rifle and for shooting.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Does anyone know of a sling attachment, swivel, or hardware that is coated with something quiet, like nylon or rubber that is noiseless?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Leather.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brownell’s Latigo & Sinclair’s Montana sling.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 1,522 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,460
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.