Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by navlav8r
For range work, I can work with either but for general hunting, second FP with a Boone and Crockett or similar reticle. I normally have the scope set at 4X and I know what the subtensions are at 4X and then again at the highest power if I need to crank it up for longer range.

FFP 4X16 mil reticle the substentions work on all power settings exactly the same

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
These kind of posts can end up being long threads full of opinions.

Before this gets going, can we establish one basic fact? Unless you have looked through and actually hunted with a quality FFP scope with, and this is paramount, a properly designed reticle specifically designed for the FFP scope, you will not have an accurate opinion about FFP scopes.

One look through a FFP scope with a crapola poorly designed reticle and you will be turned off on FFP scopes forever and never get to understand their practical reason for existing and usefulness in hunting as well as on tactical sniping rifles. There is a reason these FFP scopes are so popular in the rest of the world.

Make your opinion about a FFP scope after having experience with a quality Euro FFP scope.

FFP all the way

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by liliysdad
FFP for all the things. All of them. Any decent FFP reticle is perfectly usable at any and all magnification levels. Lower in the range, where you won't be calling wind or holding elevation, it's a simple cross hair.

Literally the best of all worlds.

Ding ding ding

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boatanchor
This is a topic where you have to ask yourself a question.............am I a badass like Lil Dick and think I am the ultimate Tactical GURU.........???????????? If this is you then you absolutely want a FFP for every rifle.

Or am I more of a hunter...........??????????? with a little common sense in most cases a SFP is a better choice but there are exceptions

Obligatory “free rent” post

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I love the FFP as long as it has an illuminated reticle so it' useful at low power for close up shots. That being said, my son and I have been using the SFP Bushnell 3200 3-9 w/ MOA ballistic reticle on our 270s for a LONG time and they've been outstanding! We were out tonight checking our zeros on steel to 425 yards and both rifles were spot on and ready for Mr. Whitetail.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
it's easy to become overly dogmatic on the internet.

but besides a LPVO or a dedicated high mag bencherst setup it's hard to like SFP in practical hunting scenarios. don't hunt jungles this either.

unless we are just talking fixed powers. haven't a clue what focal plane they are in.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FFP for all the things. All of them. Any decent FFP reticle is perfectly usable at any and all magnification levels. Lower in the range, where you won't be calling wind or holding elevation, it's a simple cross hair.

Literally the best of all worlds.

My opinion exactly. Been using FFP for 20 years and no looking back.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by 117LBS
Originally Posted by boatanchor
This is a topic where you have to ask yourself a question.............am I a badass like Lil Dick and think I am the ultimate Tactical GURU.........???????????? If this is you then you absolutely want a FFP for every rifle.

Or am I more of a hunter...........??????????? with a little common sense in most cases a SFP is a better choice but there are exceptions

Obligatory “free rent” post

I use the FFP for hunting and on tactical rifles and prefer them over SFP scopes for the usual reasons. Much of the world disagrees with the above statement about the SFP being better for hunting.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
These kind of posts can end up being long threads full of opinions.

Well yeah,is not that kind of the idea ,when some one asks for opinions?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Seems a lot of the SFP fans denigrate the FFP based on peering through only a few examples. Yes, some FFP are either too difficult to see at low x or too thick at high x to be usable. However, well designed/hunter centric FFP's are usable throughout the X range and do offer a best of both options scenario.

IME, the "doughnut" reticles, such as Bushnell LRHS G2H and SWFA circle MQ in the 1-6hd, really help with usability at all X ranges. Of course, having a FFP lit cures a lot of problems in low power visibility, but I like reticles that are still usable when not lit, as plenty of things can go wrong with a scope's electrical components at just the wrong time. Further, if quick shots at close range are a possibility, you might not have time to turn the illumination on before the shot opportunity is gone.

I still don't mind a SFP that tops out around 8 or 10x, so long as it's a measuring reticle and not some BDC rendition. I don't care to be constrained to be at 12/14/15/18 X or more in order to have the reticle subtensions be usable. Too much X is a liability for shots at big game.

Last edited by Starbuck; 11/01/21.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 6X42 fixed power with a 4A reticle works in the woods around here. None of that FFP or SFP stuff needed 🥺

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
A 6X42 fixed power with a 4A reticle works in the woods around here. None of that FFP or SFP stuff needed 🥺

Your fixed power scope is either FFP or SFP

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by jwp475

The FFP/SFP thing only applies to variable scopes. A fixed power scope is a fixed power scope, reticle is fixed. Fixed power scopes have their own category. They are static in nature, not dynamic like a variable.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The FFP/SFP thing only applies to variable scopes. A fixed power scope is a fixed power scope, reticle is fixed. Fixed power scopes have their own category. They are static in nature, not dynamic like a variable.

Just the same the reticle is in the second focal plane with fixed power scopes. You just don't have variable power selection

Last edited by jwp475; 11/01/21.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ringman
I prefer sfp because I can see the reticle on any magnification setting. After trying a ffp scope I was very disappointed. The reticle can't be seen on low power and covers too much on high setting.

Yep 👍 me too.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Judman
I prefer sfp because I can see the reticle on any magnification setting. After trying a ffp scope I was very disappointed. The reticle can't be seen on low power and covers too much on high setting.

Yep 👍 me too.

4X16 S&B PPll P4 F mil reticle is visible on 4 power and doesn't cover to much on 16 power.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Yep 👍 me too.

4X16 S&B PPll P4 F mil reticle is visible on 4 power and doesn't cover to much on 16 power.

I've never had any decent FFP reticle become magically invisible at low mag, nor inhibit the view of a critter at higher magnification.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ok 👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Yep 👍 me too.

I've never had any decent FFP reticle become magically invisible at low mag, nor inhibit the view of a critter at higher magnification.

Personally I don’t care, but you obviously do… I’ll keep doin what I do 😎👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
SFP for LPVO, FFP for high magnification power optics

NRA lifetime member
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (06hunter59, 160user, 1badf350, 163bc, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,383 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,404
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.