Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Always interesting to read the thoughts her on LR hunting. Only one person in this thread (Jordan) mentioned the voodoo.......WIND. It doesn't make a crap what, or how much your equipment costs, doping the wind correctly is baffling to even the experts, especially on first, cold bore shots. I was visiting with a guy with last name Tubb a couple of weeks ago when we were whitetail hunting. He was mentioning the same thing.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wyoming260
The number of rounds is not the point of learning to shoot long range. Shooting time should be spent learning how a certain gun and load works, over varying conditions and what input changes how the shot lands. Buying a preset up long range rifle and scope does not buy that experience. I have been using the same rifle for about 10 years, as time has passed and more rounds have passed through it( with care ) the predictability of where the shot lands has gone up. When I first used this gun a 400 yd shot was a long one. Since then I have shot game at ranges out to 700 yds. And at that distance, I was not guessing about anything, the outcome of the shot was certain in my mind before the trigger broke. This confidence comes from shooting over varying conditions at various ranges and reading the conditions properly. It also includes times where that knowledge tells you not to pull the trigger, because varying conditions, (mostly gusty swirling wind here ) make being about to predict shot placement impossible. Paper , steel and rocks are where you learn these things and save the animal targets for certain shots in predictable conditions. A lot of people do not have the patience to not shoot when they should not. The programs available for ballistics and accuracy of new rangefinders are all part of the exercise that improve the shot predictability. And all need to be work with and field tested to improve your shooting
P.S. you can run 100s of rounds down range. But if there is no thought put into each shot and things are not learned from each shot, you just just burnt powder and flung lead.

Great post. However, Trigger time is the only way you are goong to know if you and your set up is up to the task. Shooting under varying conditions at varying distances off of various types of rests with a known and proven platform is the only way you are going to know which shots you can and cant/shouldn't take. Even practicing first shot hits at various ranges is crucial. Appropriate size targets, so you know you can hit vitals with the first shot is the important thing to remember. After that, all the other shooting and practicing and playing around adds to the skill set. I like punching paper at 100 yards, focusing on fundamentals and shooting multiple 10 shot groups, then for fun, I shoot 2" targets at 400 yards. The best I do there is 8 out 10, but I keep practicing. Also, if your goal is to shoot 600 yards, practice at 800-900 yards and then 600 seems like a walk in the park.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My local range goes to 1500 yards , so every session includes long range shooting.

These are with regular hunting rifles to dedicated target rifles.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i mostly use a 257 Weatherby mag. for hunting , my rifles all have custom barrels except one i purchased this fall and its a Weatherby a Accumark 257 W.MAG. also that has had some accuracy work done . i have spent many hrs,, days , years shooting out to 700 yards with a 257 Weatherby mag cartridge also even burned out one custom 257 W. mag barrel learning this cartridge , i have shot many long range rifle shoots even won a few bucks doing those money shoots , also shot 1000 yd. matches and shot FTR in the Master Division . my 257 hunting Rifles have Nightforce and target Leupold scopes on my hunting rifles. my longest one shot kills with a 257 Weatherby mag. was a measured 700 yards by a Marine hunting friend who was in Viet Nam and was with Carlos Hathcock i do always have a bi-pod on my rifles when i am out west hunting other wise in a stand i use a tripod rest. at farther long range hunting for bigger animals i bring out my custom 338 Lapua / nightforce scope rifle, i am sure their guys out there and on this site 24 hr. Campfire that do have some very good equipment too and know how too shoot long range excellent . good luck to all hope your hunts are safe and a lot of fun,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 12/09/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Before the ammo crunch I fired 700-800 rounds per month shooting long distance. Most of that was in PRS matches or preparation for a match. I did that year round even during hunting season.
I have tapered back due to difficulty in buying reloading supplies.
I have a 400 yard range in my backyard and 1000 yd range on a lease.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Bergara 6.5 cm I got to give PRS a try right before COVID. It has a Zeiss V4 6-24x50 with turret that seems very capable to me. I’ve struggled to find a great load for this gun everything shoots MOA but nothing drastically better. Using the free Zeiss software on my phone and the cheapest factory ammunition I’m hitting targets at 1100 yards with minor adjustments from a mediocre bench. Field positions deer sized vitals targets are routine at 6-700 yards.

It’s incredible to me how much simpler it is with the newer optics & software to make very long shots. I do have my own 225 yard range at home & a 500 yard elk rock have been shooting for 50+ years many thousands of rounds over the years. I shot my elk rifle less than 50 rounds the last 3 years preparing for elk hunting since nothing has changed. I shoot it starting at 400 yards move to 5,6,700 yard gongs smaller than deer vitals until I hit them last year that took 5 shots 4 the year before. We had 15-20 mph winds sight in day one year I never could hit 700 yard target.

So in my opinion if you can shoot reliably at 200 a capable long range scope can allow you to reliably hit targets at longer ranges. We have a good friend hunts elk out of the same campground has had 3 straight 12 year old kids get a cow on their first hunt. Lay one killed his cow with a single shot at 649 yards. Dads 300 scope adjusted for him prone with a rest & 10 minutes of practice dry firing to prepare. Ive hunted dove with the family & the kid can shoot but that is mostly equipment making the shot possible.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Irrelevant.

Last edited by JackRyan; 12/12/21.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JackRyan
Most people couldn't kill a possum from 50 feet, but they will yap all day long about their 338 Lapua and 20 power scope.

This is the "long range" forum. If you want to talk about killing possums at 50 feet, go to the hunters forum.. I also don't see where anyone has mentioned 338 Lapua in this thread. However, if they wanted to, they could do so in this forum. I don't particularly care for the big beast 338 myself, but I don't condone anyone that uses one. I have my own stories about such things at my range concerning a younger guy shooting a 338LM with big Vortex scope on top. Funny chidt too. He was embarrassed when I shot better with irons at 100 yards. His girlfriend was watching my target and said, "dear, that guy just shot better than you with irons". Cute little thing too. I just looked over and winked at her... Again, if you want to talk about killing possums at "50 feet", we can take it over to the pistol section...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yer right. There ya go.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Absolutely as many as i can

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I generally burn 40 pounds or more powder during g a normal year, from 100 to 1,000 yards, and anyone that talks to me at our range Gets told to practice LOTS in the worst conditions and in the positions they intend to hunt, regardless of the distance they intend to shoot at.
My son built a dedicated long range deer/ antelope rifle last year , and practiced regularly with it.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 81 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,721
Posts18,494,661
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.