Print Thread
Hop To
S
stumpy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Has anyone heard of this or know anything about it? A friend sent this and I have some doubts.

" . . .They put a little of the lube on the head of the bullet. Then run a patch with PE down the barrel. When the bullet accelerates down the barrel, the copper jacket does not liquefy. It allows for a slightly higher muzzle velocity and the bullet does not distort. It flies downrange a lot flatter. It works best for sniper weapons, but should be great for general hunting rifles also.We have a number of SWAT departments over here buying the lube for the same reason."

stumpy

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I might be confused, but I cannot believe that lube in the bbl will help accuracy at all....enlighten me..

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Dubious, as always. Sounds kind of like the claims made for Friction Block about 12-15 years ago. One problem they ran into was that velocities for subsequent shots in the string went down as the stuff wore off. Then vertical at longer ranges becomes a problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stumpy
Has anyone heard of this or know anything about it? A friend sent this and I have some doubts.

" . . .They put a little of the lube on the head of the bullet. Then run a patch with PE down the barrel. When the bullet accelerates down the barrel, the copper jacket does not liquefy. It allows for a slightly higher muzzle velocity and the bullet does not distort. It flies downrange a lot flatter. It works best for sniper weapons, but should be great for general hunting rifles also.We have a number of SWAT departments over here buying the lube for the same reason."

stumpy

Peanut butter will do the same, for lot cheaper. But you have to use the creamy style, as the chunky will have a negative affect on the BC. It's the trans-fats that defeat thermal breakdown while the sugars carmerlize to create a friction barrier, so none of that healthfood organic garbage.

Now with even more aplomb
S
stumpy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Kinda of what I figured. Evidently this stuff is sold as a durable and effective lubricant in the oil field and some are using this PE in their rifles.

stumpy

Last edited by stumpy; 09/13/07.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If it were a controllable amount or application for each shot, maybe, beyond that there was the thing years back with another claim like that, that had our artillery end up way short on first shots....not good.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,972
Posts18,499,360
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.