Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've never had or shot a pocket pistol like a Kel Tec or Ruger LCP. I've heard they can hurt to shoot, or at least they're not too fun. How does it compare to something like an LCR shooting 38 special non +p?

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I pocket carry a S&W 642 in 38 spc +P on occasion. It doesn’t hurt to shoot at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With some decent grips; who cares if it bulges a little in the pocket, depending on pants / shorts.

I'm not much of a fan of mouse gun semi's.

MM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by newmexican
I've never had or shot a pocket pistol like a Kel Tec or Ruger LCP. I've heard they can hurt to shoot, or at least they're not too fun. How does it compare to something like an LCR shooting 38 special non +p?

Just recently took my old Kel-Tec P32 to the range. I got through two mags full, and the upper web of my hand was so badly cut by the slide that I stopped shooting it. They are last ditch guns that are not fun to shoot.

The Ruger LCP (I have one of those, too) is also no fun due to the extreme recoil of the .380 ACP from such a tiny gun. I have the original one, not the new one, which is larger.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I never found my S&W .380 Bodyguard uncomfortable to shoot, per se. My advancing hand arthritis does make it harder to shoot accurately

My current pocket gun is a .38 LCR and I like it a lot. To carry or shoot

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Keltec 32 cal. right after I bought it they came out with the 380.
I don't think they are uncomfortable to shoot, just hard to hold onto

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With some decent grips; who cares if it bulges a little in the pocket, depending on pants / shorts.

MM

Me either. I've pocket carried my NAA Mini Revolver (.22 lr) far more than either of my mouse autos.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I've got a KelTec .32. It's never cut me. Easy to shoot.

I've got a Ruger LCP, the original model, and that's never hurt me. Never cut me. Not painful to shoot at all, although I've never shot more than 50 rounds through it in a session. Extreme recoil? No.

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by newmexican

If you remember what a pocket pistol is for, the lack of range comfort makes sense.

Far too many man-boys badmouth pocket guns because they are difficult to shoot, but I think it is mostly because few man-boys carry concealed. And man-boys mostly like to play dress up on their pistols, and pocket pistols are too single-focus.

For example, my favorite pocket pistol is the Kel Tec PF9 and it takes some work to get used to. But once mastered, it gives a very concealable, ultra-lightweight 9mm weapon. I've shot J-frames, Shields, and SCCY, but I keep the PF9 in my pocket. I own lots of other pistols that are more fun at the range, but I mastered the PF9 to enjoy convenient concealed carry.

So does it hurt? Hell yes, especially with +p.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I've got a KelTec .32. It's never cut me. Easy to shoot.

I've got a Ruger LCP, the original model, and that's never hurt me. Never cut me. Not painful to shoot at all, although I've never shot more than 50 rounds through it in a session. Extreme recoil? No.

Well, naturally, I didn't mean that a son of Krypton would have any problem with either of them.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The .32 caliber cartridges, and .380 are not bad most of the times. A 9mm and .38 Special in very light guns can get a little rough. I've got a Taurus 605 2" in .357 Magnum. It's not fun with full power loads.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well I don't know about the Keltec 32, but shooting my Smith & Wesson 340 PD with full House 357 Magnum loads will bring a tear to your eye! smile

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MM

I think the title of this post is somewhat misleading. Even the light weight 38's LCR, 642, 442, etc aren't uncomfortable to shoot. Point is with good grips they are controllable.

The little semi's aren't uncomfortable to shoot, BUT they do move around in your hand so it's difficult to shoot well. They have to virtually be readjusted in your hand after every shot if you want a consistent grip.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My Kahr 9mm is really to shoot. It's a little snappy, but not too bad considering it is a 9mm.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I reckon how a handgun fits your hand matters more than folks think. I have short fingers, so mouse guns don't bite me.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My suggestion is to practice with the pocket guns in the manner you are likely to use them- the gun and 2-3 reloads. If it draws blood, make adjustments between you and the gun. If it is simply uncomfortable to shoot, grit your teeth and work harder.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I will likely never own another J frame. After switching to small autos, I won’t be going back; especially now that I can have a hi-cap small auto. I’ll take my 12 rounds of .380 over 5 rounds of .38 Special every day of the week. The pistol conceals better, carries better, its lighter, I can shoot it faster and more accurately, I have much better sights, more ergonomic grip, and better sights. Reloads are faster, hold over twice the ammo, and easier to carry.

My current pocket gun is the LCP MAX. I think Ruger just plain hit the ball out of the park with this one (and I’m not much of a Ruger guy); the pistol is very well thought out. For me the biggest improvement is the ergonomics. I have found a pocket handgun I don't hate to shoot.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I will likely never own another J frame. After switching to small autos, I won’t be going back; especially now that I can have a hi-cap small auto. I’ll take my 12 rounds of .380 over 5 rounds of .38 Special every day of the week. The pistol conceals better, carries better, its lighter, I can shoot it faster and more accurately, I have much better sights, more ergonomic grip, and better sights. Reloads are faster, hold over twice the ammo, and easier to carry.

My current pocket gun is the LCP MAX. I think Ruger just plain hit the ball out of the park with this one (and I’m not much of a Ruger guy); the pistol is very well thought out. For me the biggest improvement is the ergonomics. I have found a pocket handgun I don't hate to shoot.

How many rounds have you put through your LCP MAX so far? How did it shoot and which ammo did you try ?

I’ll probably pick one up soon to go with my original LCP and LCP II in 22 lr. I handled one at my LGS the other day and was impressed with the feel of it in my hand and it’s size for the # of rounds it will hold.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hollow points were Gold Dots, and Hornady (can't remember which), and Federal (again, don't remember which). FMJ from Fiocci, and Winchester. Just over 400 rounds through it so far, no problems.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a SIG P938 9mm.

Shoot 147 gr. std. pressure.

And while the muzzle energy is down a little compared to the lighter/faster offerings, it is pleasant to shoot, extremely precise, and has similar to superior terminal performance.

GR

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 14,476 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,167
Posts18,542,956
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.