Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm getting stuff rounded up for this winter to start back trapping. I ran a line about 15 years ago but the area where I lived didn't have many coyotes so I never really went after them but where I live now is covered with them (I've shot 49 in the past 3-4 years). Anybody got any preferred or special tricks? Time tried and tested lures? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Best bait I've found is a dead skunk. I bury it and set close to the carcass , using guide sticks or rocks. Next best is tainted meat in a hole set with 'Gusto" lure as an attactor.
These two sets never fail for me.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Most of the same sets and techniques for fox will catch them, but you want to be sure you have enough trap to hold them. Don't know how big they run where you are, but the ones around here will destroy a coil spring two or similar trap. The 3N used to be my choice but in recent years I leave them hung up for decorations and use the MB 650C with cast, offset jaws. They are head and shoulders above any other trap I have ever seen for coyotes. If you put one of those on a coyote and if you've got it staked right, he's your coyote.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Female coyote urine (especially in estrus). IME dogs are more interested in pee than they are food. I used to know a guy that kept a three legged bitch coyote in a pen with a drain system, and sold bottles of the stuff to fur buyers. It seems like it was $50.00-$100.00 a gallon in the late 70s to early 80s. He hasn't done that for years, but buyers might still know someone else who does.

Last edited by JaquesLaRami; 09/24/07.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer snares. Cheaper, faster, lighter and few losses. Don

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good stuff! Keep it coming!

Skunks are no problem around here as I pass (over) several a week on the highway between here and work. Never thought of that one. The wife may have my hide for hauling them in so I think I may pass on that one! I used to inadvertently manage to catch a few each year on the line so if I gotta smell anyways I may give it a try sometime.

As far as the traps, I'm using a #3 Duke with a Beefer spring kit, 2/0 stainless chain and a double swivel. Back in the day I hauled in some pretty big bobcats with those and some of the local guys that trap have said they've had good luck out of that same set up without any problems. The 'yotes around here aren't all that big generally but I've seen a few that neared 40lbs.

I've heard about the estrous urine but haven't been able to find what I want. None of the commercial companys I've checked (Hawbaker's, Blue Ridge.......) carry it so if I find it I'll try to post it here so everyone knows.

I was always a dirt hole set guy and probably overused that set but I always had good luck with it. I've caught a few bobcats with a scent post set but like I said I've never been around coyotes much. I've been told that it is very effective so it's definately in the book of tricks to be tried.

Thanks again for all that have listed and if anyone else has anything please share!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I prefer snares. Cheaper, faster, lighter and few losses. Don

I've never even given them a try. I always wanted to but have just never gotten with anyone with the know-how and willingness to teach me. For now I'm just going to try to get my feet under me again with a small line of traps but it is for sure planned for the future.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The future is now....... No time like the present to start. Hang a few when you set steel. Make it part of your line. Heck, the anticipation alone, is reason enuff to try 'em. Won't be long till you figure it out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think one of the best ways to trap coyote (besies snares in winter) is to use 2 different sets per stop. They don't need to be right next to each other. They can be 15 - 20 feet from each other, but with different sets and different smells. Usually a dirt hole and a flat set.

You know dirt holes already. So try some flat sets. They are very easy. Find a piece of dried wood, or a large rock, or whatever. Put the lure on the underneath part of it and set it down where you are going to make your set. Make sure that part is not on the ground though. What you are trying to do is have the lure out in the open so it can be smelled, but underneath so if rain comes it won't get washed away so easily. set your trap out in front about 8 inches the same way you would for a dirt hole. Make sure and bed solid. I like to use a little bit of peat moss on my traps in the fall so if it rains the water sort of drains better and the traps seem to still work. you put urine on top of the object. it doesn't have to be in heat urine.

If you can't find what you want in trapping supplies, google Northwest Trappers Supply. they usually have just about everything you would need.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We used to trap coyotes a bit, we used urine, usually put it on a dried cow patty in the middle of the set. The pair of traps were buried with dry dirt from under an old house on top to prevent freezing. Some of the best sets were set on the dam of a pond, as the coyotes will travel them rather than cross a ditch. We also used a drag rather than staking them down, that way you could reset in the same spot, didn't ruin it with one catch. Wear rubber gloves to eliminate scent. Coyotes are not easy, let me know if you catch any that are missing some toes. I'll bet you don't.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Coyotes are super alert to odors and can smell steel traps quickly. Boiling and waxing your traps along with wearing ruuber gloves and keeping all your stuff as scent free as possible is mandatory. If you are going to kneel down to make a set wear hips boots. I use barley hulls to bed my traps Doesn't freeze and is odor free. Mouse urine is great for dirt hole sets.

I use MB 650's with laminated jaws, center swiveled and base plated, I never hard stake, use a 6 ft chain with a drag. I don't own nor use Duke traps Had a couple bad experiences with them and consider them all junk!
Coyotes up here are tough on traps and can really tear them up. I use snares in the winter time when coyote trails are obvious and they work well, Easy to carry a dozen or more with you when running your line.

Last edited by DaGriz; 09/25/07.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've looked into several other brands and types of traps. I went back with the Dukes out of habit more than anything else. When I was trapping before I was just a teenager and was given several traps by an old-timer in our church that had given it all up. There was only one store in town that carried traps and that's all they carried. They were cheap enough to buy on a teenage lawnmowing salary and always did the job. Admittedly I was usually after much smaller game then with the hardest animals being an occasional otter or large bobcat. Right now I've only purchased about a dozen in a few different sizes to get the taste again and get my feet back under me. As I (if I?) get back into it a little more I will need to get into a little better and a lot more traps. As I mentioned before I'd like to give the Conibears and snares a try just to try something different and see what's out there.

Thanks again to all who have posted. I appreciate the help and recommendations from ya'll and anyone with anything else please feel free to share.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You might want to check your state trapping laws about using conibears. Where I live they have to be completely underwater or at least 4ft above ground. Pretty tough to use them for coyotes whith those restrictions.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by DaGriz
You might want to check your state trapping laws about using conibears. Where I live they have to be completely underwater or at least 4ft above ground. Pretty tough to use them for coyotes whith those restrictions.

DaGriz:
Your signature line says, "My relatives killed Custer." I find that disgusting, and racist, that you would put that on your signature line.

My grandfather, who went to Montana in 1866, killed, and scalped, a lot or your relatives...! Both before, and after, the Custer Debacle.

Maybe I should part of that, as my signature line...! What would you think about that?

My grandfather was one of the civilian scouts, for Colonel Terry, who arrived at the Little Big Horn, from the west, June 27, 1876.

George Armstrong Custer would have been a close relative of mine, through his mother Maria Fitzgerald Custer, whose maiden name was Ward, my last name also. Maria Custer would have been my great, great aunt, on my fathers side. Which is why I find your signature line so disgusting and low class...!

Your signature line NEGATIVELY effects MY ATTITUDE, toward the forum management, because they haven't made you change it, or delete it.

As I said, it's racist, and disgusting...!

Bill

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
waslolyesni wasicun wowlyukcan

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DaGriz; 09/27/07.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm glad i don't get my feelings hurt so easily !

Call the ADL and report him..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Fellers, I just want to catch some 'yotes. How'd we get off on shooting indians and scaplin cowboys anyways??? Yeah, I've traced my ancestory too and I found cowboys, indians, peasants, an english lord and even a knight to the king. What's the big deal? We've got a guy in our church who's grandfather was a nazi officer. Do I look at him any differently? Nope! Unless anybody on here has a relative that was a coyote I don't see the connection.

Here's an idea.....
LET IT GO!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Now that that's over back to business.

Good call on the regs.

Ours read, "The use of body gripping traps with jaw spread in excess of 7 1/2" is prohibited except when such traps are covered by water.

It is unlawful to set above the ground any steel foothold trap with teeth set upon the jaws or with a jaw spread exceeding 6 1/2".

It is unlawful to set above the ground any body gripping trap with a jaw spread in excess of 5" when using any bait, lure or scent. However, baited body gripping traps with a jaw spread between 5" & 6 1/2" may be used within an enclosure with openings no greater than 60 square inches and the trap trigger recessed at least 12" from all openings. Traps must be staked to prevent enclosures from turning over and may only be used on private lands with written permission of the landowner. No deadfall traps may be used.....blah, blah, blah..."

Last I looked I had figured on about a 330 for 'yotes so I guess that's out the window for the most part. I still wouldn't mind giving them a try on foxes, coons and some muskrats though. What I've seen and heard they seem ideal for the muskrats and a coon's curiosity would be a pretty good play with them also in an enclosure.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
LMAO! Sorry skull, no coyote here so I can't give you any help other than maybe try trapperman.com.

Luck favors the prepared.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd fo'get the connies (even if t'wer legal in yor area) for yotes. Twas good advice as regards legholds and snares. Mix it up. Keep the eyes peeled for regular trails and crossings with the snares. If you average 15 yotes a year with a rif-fle you should be able to snare some. Lots cheaper...less time consuming...carry more in tow...win-win.

Can't remember who above as was said it, but twas true words; do the snares and you'll soon "get" it!

good luck on the line,

best,
bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (10Glocks, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 62 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.