Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I was looking at replacing the X Mark Trigger on a newer stainless 700 SS Mountain Rifle. I was looking at Timney or a Rifle Basix and I see that I select the trigger weight at purchase. Does this mean that I can simply swap it out myself and it is ready to go?

I had assumed I would have a gunsmith do it (I had them lighten and tune up a couple Howa HACT triggers), but maybe that's not necessary if they come from the factory ready to go? The online videos look pretty simple. I am not very handy and certainly not a gunsmith, but I can swap out a couple pins. Am I good to go?

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I put a Trigger Tech in my 700 by watching a youtube video.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Swapping triggers isn't difficult. The worst part is the bolt release spring in my opinion. Can't answer the question on whether the new trigger comes set or not. I replaced my lawyer proof recall trigger with an adjustable Rem trigger.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out a TriggerTech for your M700.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bonepoint
I was looking at replacing the X Mark Trigger on a newer stainless 700 SS Mountain Rifle. I was looking at Timney or a Rifle Basix and I see that I select the trigger weight at purchase. Does this mean that I can simply swap it out myself and it is ready to go?

I had assumed I would have a gunsmith do it (I had them lighten and tune up a couple Howa HACT triggers), but maybe that's not necessary if they come from the factory ready to go? The online videos look pretty simple. I am not very handy and certainly not a gunsmith, but I can swap out a couple pins. Am I good to go?
It's easy for ya... But get the TriggerTech.... Mucho superior - then toss that X-Mark trigger into the nearest dumpster you can find..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I just put a Jewel in my 700....be sure and remove the bolt and some line up pins/punches are nice.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I’m no gunsmith but I’ve swapped several Remington 700, X-Mark triggers for Timneys. I had to relieve a little bit of material on one older HS Precision stock for the safety lever IIRC.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Trigger Tech gets my vote!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have Timney's in my 700s. Out of curiosity, for those using Trigger Tech why do you prefer those?

Last edited by Milwroad; 01/28/22.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Trigger Tech! Replaced my 700 just last week with a TT after asking the same question three weeks ago. They said it was “drop in” and they were 120% correct. I spent a little bit more money and got the upgraded version, the Special, and it is wonderful. Can’t recommend it any higher…

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Trigger tech so far has been very reliable even in very dusty (Colorado from a bipod) conditions.

They all break very clean with 0 creep and with only one adjustment screw for pull weight they are as user friendly as it gets.
they are also very repeatable when changing pull weight (click adjustment) , I use Specials for some of my dual use guns and you can count clicks going up or down and return it right back to where it was.

I have used every model they have and they are all I have used in the last 3-4 yrs, likely 30+ triggers, I use the Special as a dual use trigger for target work and hunting, the Diamond for a pure bench trigger and the Primary as a pure hunting trigger, it will go down to 32 ozs easily
I also have a 2 stage Special in one of my hunting rigs and really like it.

Timney is good, I have used many over the years but my money buys Trigger Tech these days, simple, rugged and very user friendly.
I also like the TT shoe design, it fits most fingers very well.

I have used many different Triggers over the years including Jewell, Rifle Basix, Timney, and most of the other popular manufacturers and most are very good if properly adjusted.
I quit using Jewell, they are very sensitive to dust and dirt, I have seen several that would not reset or that would fire on close at the most inopportune time but they are a great bench trigger which is what they were designed for.

I prefer a trigger with a defined break, that's why I like the TT triggers, even on the Diamond with only a few oz pull I can feel it break.
Many will argue over triggers, they tend to have almost a cult following,especially in the competition world.
some prefer this feel or that feel, in the end it' all about what you like personally.

Last edited by hillbill; 01/28/22.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve replaced a number of Rem 700 triggers with Trigger Tech and Timney. Follow the directions ESPECIALLY how to drive out the rear pin, and it’s very easy. I prefer the Trigger Tech.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the replies. I haven't tried enough aftermarket triggers to have a preference, but there seems to be a lot of support for Trigger Tech, so I will go that route. Thanks.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bonepoint
Thanks for the replies. I haven't tried enough aftermarket triggers to have a preference, but there seems to be a lot of support for Trigger Tech, so I will go that route. Thanks.
You will NOT be disappointed... Congrats.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Redneck is right. You will not be disappointed.

GreggH

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I but the American made ones

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Trigger Tech installed and set to 2.5 lbs. Feels great and ready to go. Thanks for the help.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I thought I had some good triggers until I put a Trigger Tech on one of my rifles.The way it breaks is noticeably different.I didn't realize it until I was at the range.When my rifle fired,my crosshairs were still spot on.With my other triggers,set at 2.5lbs,I could tell my crosshairs would move a tiny bit like maybe 1/4" as my rifle went off.They claim it is a friction-less trigger,it really is.I now have three of them

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Will trigger tech triggers work with the old bolt locking safeties?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by badwolf
Will trigger tech triggers work with the old bolt locking safeties?

No, the body design is different then what you would encounter with a walker. The safety lever pivot is different on TT's. You might get away with it on a TImney.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 16,298 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,306
Posts18,545,519
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.