Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Gents,
If there are any Martin afficionados out there, I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me a little bit about the Martin Jaguar compound. It is a 'hand-me-down' and the specs are rubbed off the riser. I have taken several deer with it, and truly have no complaints. It may not have perimeter weighted cams, and shoot 300+fps IBO, but I ain't complaininig about it...the price was right!! Thanks in advance...

Mike

'Life is tough; It's tougher if your stupid"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I cannot tell you quantitatively about a Martin Jaguar, but I can tell you a lot qualitatively. I purchased mine in 1996 and I've taken several deer with it, and I love it.

Previously I had hunted with a Martin Cougar Magnum since 1984. The difference was spectacular. Much faster, much tighter groups, much less noise and a much better feel. I forget the letoff, but I'm thinking it's about 60%. I hunt with about a 62 lb pull. With this bow, I can hold at full draw indefinately. The Advantage camo paint job has held up well in all these years. It really spruced up my act.

I am not an all-year bow shooter. I pull mine out in July and put it away around Nov 10. By then I usually have something nice in the freezer. It is been a much less demanding bow than the Cougar Magnum-- usually takes me just a few evenings of practice to get back in form.

I shoot XX75 2413 aluminum shafts with 110 Satelite Titan heads, and by opening day I'm confident I can nail anything in a 40 yard radius of my stands.

I found this bow while my buddy was looking at a Mathews. He paid twice what I paid for mine. I suspect he's nailed about the same number of deer.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I apologize for the tardy reply to my post. Thanks for your insight and opine. I agree in terms of satisfaction, and I , like you pull it out 2 months before the season, and retire it when blackpowder and gun comes in to play. I just had it tuned and a new 'Z' string installed along with some silencers from SVL. NIGHT AND DAY noise wise. Interestingly enough though; I asked my local bowshop to chrono it and I was only shooting 219fps w/ 61lb draw weight! This is giving me only 41ft/lbs of energy with a 2014 XX75. I was going to shoot Spitfires but he advised me against any mechanical due to the lack of energy. I am now shooting 85gn NAP Thunderheads, and my groups have shrunk considerably. Just something to think about if you are considering mecahnicals.... Thanks and have a good season. We start up here on the 15th of next month!! Can't wait..

'Life is tough; It's tougher if your stupid"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No problem. I just found your reply too.

I was shooting thunderheads too a number of years ago and was having trouble getting pass-thru. I switched to the Satellite Titans on the recommendation of a friend, and have had only one not come out the other side. That one was a brisket shot and the head made it to the heart and lungs before stopping. The bucks' movement churned it around and made mincemeat of the whole thorasic cavity like a blender.

Mechanicals intrigued me for a while, but I finally decided I was getting good enough patterns with a 4-blade fixed that I gave up.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,343
Posts18,526,859
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.