Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
had one of the same guys that has been "buggin" me for the last week in last night. hes lookin at a 3.5-10 VX-7. this is the guy that bugs me the most because he comes in like he knows everything, then i have to basically school him.

i asked this guy about his rifle and all it was is a model 70 black shadow... i know, i know nothing wrong with this but to get into 500 600 yard shots? come on ya gotta step the game up a little bit! everytime, he comes in, handles the same scopes and always walks away saying "well, ill go on the internet and do some research"!

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dober,
I have been reading your posts for many moons, I dont usually post much,, just read and sift through the info that is written,, and as you know, much is not info,, just speculation and dreamers ranting,, But I just wanted to say Thanks for all the great input to this site,, as I agree to your way of thinking ,, It is eay to tell you can talk the talk cause you walk the walk,, I am a big 7mm fan, have several 7mags, an STW, 280 improved rcbs, and a 7 08,, I used to hunt in 4 states each year but have slowed a bit,, drawing tags is part ,, but I can relate to your loading and shooting experience,, makes stopping by this site very interesting,, and there are several others as well that run in your league, good stuff !!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Jeff,
There are guys in our club with bad shoulders, etc. who just can't shoot from position with a sling anymore. Then there are those of us who can't use post front sights anymore. I just shot a friends rifle set up with some nice sights on a match rifle and I could actually focus on the bull. I can't shoot service rifle anymore, but would maybe give F class a try? Just because we are getting older doesn't mean we have to give up on everything.
I am getting in shape for this years season. I am sighted in for 300 yards and might get in a fist fight with my know it all brother in law who thinks nobody should shoot that far.
Maybe because he has a 30 dollar 4X scope and never practices?
I put a stand on the other side of a big field and hope to shoot one right in front of his stand about 300 yards out just to chap his lips. I would like to buy him for what he knows, grin and sell him for what he thinks he knows.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whelennut
Maybe because he has a 30 dollar 4X scope and never practices?

I get the feeling this describes many in the "anti-LR" crowd.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
IMHO there are a lot of WANNA BE long range shooters out there, but they do not want to practice. Practice is what it takes for a long range shooter to get good enough for hunting. According to a great number of shooting related forums, everyone out there who reads them must be a DANIEL BOONE cause they say a lot about 500 and 600 yards. The most I have seen at our local range of 100 yards is, 6 and 8 inch groups of three shots, but this is good according to them. Here in pennsylvania most shots are 50 yards or less due to the forestry. these same people will tell you they shot at 400 yds, YEAH RIGHT. Enough ranting about a bunch of WANNA BE'S.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since we are talking about a killing sport, the stakes get high and it actually matters what posers and blowhards think and do.

I've thrown out a standing bet at the local gunshop of $100 for anyone who can hit my 10" steel plate at 600-ish yards ON THE FIRST SHOT, from hunting positions (IE, no sandbags). No takers. It sure shuts people up though.

I've said this before... if people go out and shoot at longer distances, I mean hundreds of rounds over numerous sessions at a MINIMUM, they will learn two things: first, that hitting out to "moderate" long range is easier than they thought it would be, and second, that hitting beyond, say, 500 yards in realistic field conditions is a LOT harder than they thought it would be.

I mean hitting first shot, every time.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

In the hunting field I use a bi-pod for such shots,do you allow bi-pods in your standing bet??

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sure! Any normal "hunting" setup. Why, you coming over to Oregon to take my hundred bucks? :-)

I figure it's a no-lose for me. If someone can pull it off, I'll get to learn some stuff from a good shooter.

I will say, the winds are unpredictable and hard to read up there... word to the wise...

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I got a sling, no big deal. I"d hate to fly all the way over there though and take a look at it and say, nope, would not shoot at game in that instance, but I bet over the course of a day I"d find a time I'd be willing to ding one in... 10 inch target at 600 yards is really a HUGE target.

Would be fun thats for sure.

Oh yeah, any weekend I shoot, its never less than 88 rounds and sometimes much more than that, shoot like that almost every weekend spring through summer and ya tend to get decent. I"d take it on with my iron sights given the chance.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, I'm sure you'd take my $100 in a heartbeat! Blindfolded. One arm tied. A lot of guys would.

I am referring to the vast majority of guys you hear in the gunshops braggin' on how their new magnum means they can shoot "1000 yards!"

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hey, a magnum can shoot 1000 yards.. it'll even tend to stay supersonic if the idiots are using some super light bullet....

Of course accuracy is as suspect as them knowing what 1000 yards is....

Quick story.. had a guy bragging when I was guiding.. they went riding and he has a 257 wtby mag... Factory ammo loaded ESPECIALLY for him only..... they use little kernels of powder that look like mini powder kegs..... anywhich way they stumble on a blackbuck, he takes a poke. Spine shot... they come back in bragging about 1000 yards... I call the bluff when I foudn out where they were...can't see that far.. plus no one was in that pasture prior either, so of course I roll up there during the day, follow the fresh tracks, comment about distances and check with my rangefinder and it was a legit appx 325 yards, don't recall exactly... So well call the bluff again, no way, it was 800 then if not 1000..... anyway they tell my group we don't know anyway.... of course when I produced a rock with blood on it from where the antelope fell, AND the empty 257 case where he ejected it from the front seat of the jeep, and my rangefinder.... Oh well...

Average guy is hard pressed at 300, hell most can be hard pressed at 100....
Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh btw don't let JWP show up either....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Having put some rounds in pursuit of that 10" plate myself, I would love for someone to show me how to hit it first shot every time.

POI shifts a LOT from day to day up there... variable winds. I think. They blow one way at the shooting position, another in between, and another at the plate. I think.

I have it ranged in on my turrets with my DPMS .308 but boy, from one day to another things really move around.

As I say, it would make me happy to hand a good shooter a crisp Franklin and pick their brain a little. I'm somewhat topped out at 500 yards as far as reliable hit production. Maybe I need a new place to shoot! :-)

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
I've thrown out a standing bet at the local gunshop of $10 for anyone who can hit my 10" steel plate at 600-ish yards ON THE FIRST SHOT, from hunting positions (IE, no sandbags). No takers. It sure shuts people up though.

-jeff

OK Jeff, I will take that bet.

Anyone know the drop table for a 150 grain tsx at about 3000 fps at the muzzle zeroed at 200 yards?

I will twist the turret and give it a try.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 10/04/07.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Note Im changed the $$. shocked

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 10/04/07.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Know what you mean..I bet a similar guy 1000 dollars he could not hit a dinner plate 3 of 5 at 1000 yards like he said he could...BTW..open sights on an AR...anyone know offhand the drop of a 55 grainer at 3000 at 1000 yds...

Shut him up also...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff, how far south are you?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You need to spotting scope the terrain before shooting, adjusting the focus at all ranges to see what it does at all yardages... read the mirage and all the leaves, and grass, and watch the terrain for features that indicate good chance of differing possibilities like adding in extra sideways wind(gully coming in) or blocking the value of the wind(knoll that your bullet is protected from the wind for some time) Things like that you only learn by shooting and feeling out.... ask some retired military snipers a bit...

As to the poster on the 1000 yard drop, sorry, the 55 will be horribly subsonic at that range, I'd expect zilch for accuracy IMHO. FWIW dealing with drops and heavy bullets from the 223, IE 80-90s at fair speeds of 2800 or so. 300 yards to 600 yards is 10 moa, another 20 moa from 600 to 1000 IIRC, its been a couple years.... I think I recall 600 to 800 as 10 moa and then 5 moa each for 900 and 1000, but I'd have to get my data book out again to be sure. Its buried somewhere in shooting gear.

Jeff

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JonA
Jeff, how far south are you?

We be at Ewwwwwgene, Orygun.

BMT

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Howdy folks!

Now... let me say this... I alluded to a standing bet I had WITH GUNSHOP WANKERS. I'm not floating $100 out there to every serious long-range shooter on the planet! :-) You guys might put me in the poorhouse!

But, since we are here now, BMT I can't wait to either hand you ten bucks or vice versa! You'll enjoy my steel plates course regardless of the outcome and we'll have fun. I'll bring my big DPMS .308 which is serious fun at long ranges. And I can show you how to torture my 500-yard plate if you can't already.

JonA, I'm west of Eugene about 20 miles. Come on down! A hudred bucks might just cover your gas at least and, we'll have fun.

Again, though, just to be clear- I was NOT betting guys who literally hold world records and long-range champions, as some of you here are and do if I understand right, that they can't hit a 10" plate at 600+ yards... I was saying that I've used that bet to shut up guys who were driving me insane around here. Big difference.

But if any of you hotshots want to come to Oregon to shoot with lowly old me, I'll buy you a hell of a dinner! Any time. I would LOVE to learn from someone(s) who really knew what they are doing.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 338rcm, 2500HD, 160user, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 1,900 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,558
Posts18,510,470
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.