Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I talked to a friend awhile back and he said he sometimes carried his .38 with 148 gr. wadcutters. He's shot them into wet newspaper and water jugs and likes what he sees. Accurate and low recoil too. I've handloaded and shot them but, never thought of them as a defense load.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They will do the job well.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't/can't carry, but I wouldn't feel bad if I shot an assailant with wadcutters. Better stuff for the purpose for sure, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to take a hit center mass from one.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve been known to load the Hornady hollow base wad cutters upside down with a full charge of Bullseye. 140 gr as I recall, and they make a gruesome wound channel for a measly old .38 Special.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I’ve been known to load the Hornady hollow base wad cutters upside down with a full charge of Bullseye. 140 gr as I recall, and they make a gruesome wound channel for a measly old .38 Special.

I would imagine loading them in either direction would leave a nasty wound channel. I'm loading some 77gr WC's for my daughter to practice with, thinking of loading them double for a carry load for her. Think nasty wound channel times 2...

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I also load 148 gr WC's ass backwards with Bullseye. Shoots accurate and hits like a shovel !!!

Hang on tight !
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There's a lot to be said for a chunk of soft lead moving at a sedate velocity. I sometimes wonder if we're overthinking this whole business.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
There's a lot to be said for a chunk of soft lead moving at a sedate velocity. I sometimes wonder if we're overthinking this whole business.

THIS^^^^

30 cal., 230grns, Bhn 10+/-, at a velocity that some might call pedestrian, 1100fps, soft damp sand.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Oh yeah, when it comes to defense loads, pretty much everybody over thinks it. I'll probably use wadcutters in my Taurus 605 2".

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by leemar28
I also load 148 gr WC's ass backwards with Bullseye. Shoots accurate and hits like a shovel !!!

The hollow base wadcutters if you load them to fast will sometimes break in two inside the bore and leave 2 holes on target. I freaked my uncle out pretty good one day with this. I loaded 7.0 gr. Herco. I knew it would probably do that. I dropped down to 4.0 gr. for my normal target shooting.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Full charge 38 special wadcutters. 148 grain solid base hard cast wadcutters over 3.5 grains Bullseye.
https://www.grantcunningham.com/2011/11/ed-harris-revisiting-the-full-charge-wadcutter/

HBWC's fragile skirt limits muzzle velocity (and performance).

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It's all a moot point where I live due to no kinds of carry being allowed. (Oh the joys of living in a state which is essentially red but governed by a small area/high density blue liberal population.) Two loaded pistols are indoors with me: a .45 loaded with 230JHP's, and a .38Special stuffed with dead soft wadcutters. Range time mainly sees .38 wadcutters, .22's, and .45 lead SWC's.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's all a moot point where I live due to no kinds of carry being allowed. (Oh the joys of living in a state which is essentially red but governed by a small area/high density blue liberal population.) Two loaded pistols are indoors with me: a .45 loaded with 230JHP's, and a .38Special stuffed with dead soft wadcutters. Range time mainly sees .38 wadcutters, .22's, and .45 lead SWC's.

So Maryland provides you with police protection all the time! That’s pretty awesome…

I’m tired of the government deciding that it’s illegal to carry and protect yourself when they decide.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Will the 38 wadcutters drive thru the car door to tag the turd shooting at you from behind it? Right side up or upside down? Just asking...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Will the 38 wadcutters drive thru the car door to tag the turd shooting at you from behind it? Right side up or upside down? Just asking...mb

If you're shooting through the door to stop the guy that's shooting you from behind
Originally Posted by 450BM

So Maryland provides you with police protection all the time! That’s pretty awesome…

I’m tired of the government deciding that it’s illegal to carry and protect yourself when they decide.

Just to be sure, there are NO States that provide protection from assault. Further LEO are under NO obligation to defend/protect you from such....

This is by no means a slam on LEO, but for the most part they are around to investigate and clean up the mess...... It is a rare opportunity when they are at the right place at the right time!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Indeed. Pretty much what me and my pards reckon on. Still and all, if caught carrying it's a surefire ticket to time spent in "stoney lonesome"- and not worth the risk of becoming a felon and losing all my attendant rights. Solution: just avoid the sh*thole places in the state and be done with it. And don't say "just move to a state with friendlier gun laws". How many of you would pull up stakes and move a thousand miles or more from family and friends to start over from scratch? Even if I could afford to (which I can't), at my age I won't do it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Better to be judged by 12 instead of carried by 6. And today's evil spills outside the shi*thole places ( at least in NC ) and is hard to avoid at times. If heading to Mogadishu ( Durham ) or Little Chicago ( Charlotte ) its best to plan accordingly.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I carry Mackay's 38 wadcutters in my model 60s in 38 spl. Used to carry 125 factory hp. But Mac said these penetrate better than 125s in a short barrel.. His experience compared to mine is 1000 to 0.. I will take his word for it. But if I knew was was headed for trouble, I would have other guns. The model 60s are so easy to carry for one not comfortable with the Glock system of pistols.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
better than a sharp stick.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to carry Buffalo Bore 38 spec Hard Cast Wadcutters va when I carried a 38 cal snub nose for my pocket gun.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
blammer, lots of experience in this field?

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 47 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,747
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.