Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hlg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Need a value on a very good hardcover copy of The Riflemans Rifle by Roger Rule.Thank You

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Lots of different hardcover variations

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
First edition (1982): $400

Second edition (1996): $295

Signed copy may be worth more. I have one with his phone number in it. Wonder what that is worth?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hlg: I am watching this thread with interest as I have 3 mint condition original hardbacks and one of the rare slip cased "Deluxe" signed limited editions (#118 of 500!)!
Come July of this year I will be selling all of mine.
Hard to believe it has been 40 years since this wonderful reference book came out - as I recall I bought 10 (ten) of the 1982 originals to qualify myself to being able to buy 1 (one!) of the limited edition "Deluxe "signed versions.
I sold 9 of the original 10 originals keeping one for myself and the "Deluxe" edition for investment.
The profit I made on the sale of those original nine copies paid for my "Deluxe" edition - I felt good about that but always was miffed with myself for not buying more back then.
Then over the years I have bought and re-sold several of the originals - I have not imbibed of the 1982 reprints nor of the "paper-back" editions but they all seem to sell (re-sell) promptly.
Again I will be watching this thread closely.
And this... are you buying or selling?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have been told that the second edition has some supplemental information/corrections to the first. Does anyone know if that is true?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not much at all, send it to me for disposal.
Roger was from my home town.
One day a old man came into my store for a watch band.
While I was installing the band, I over heard my wife speaking to the gentleman. He told her he had owned a gun shop at one time. When I brought the the watch back to him I questioned which gun shop he had owned. He told me Argunots (spelling). That gentleman and his gun shop had been mentioned in Roger’s book and a special thanks to the gentleman and his partner.
I asked him if he knew where I could find a copy of the bool as our library copy ended up missing.” Whats it worth to you” he asked, probably $200-300 I said. His response was not expected, would you trade the watch band for it. I was floored and excited. When he brought the book it was missing the dust cover and inside the book was signed to Laughton Hard with thanks. I asked Mr. Hard id he would sign it to me. Its one of my most prized possessions. I looked for that book for years at book shops and local sales. Good things come when you least expect them.
So I dont know the price’s today but mine is priceless
Jeff

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I looked for a long time to find a hardcover for under $150 last year. They are great books. Most were +$200

Last edited by Grumman; 02/26/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Grumman
I looked for a long time to find a hardcover for under $150 last year. They are great books. Most were +$200

The soft covers are $100. Good luck with your search.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I never saw or heard of a dust jacket on the Rifleman's Rifle?

The soft cover is fairly inexpensive and readily available as they can be pumped out as needed by the printer. They are OK for reference, but they are printed on a slightly thicker grade of newspaper. The photos are not nearly as enjoyable as those on the first or second hard cover editions.

I have seen prices much higher than posted here. The 2d Edition bringing at least $300 and the first much higher than that.

I have a signed copy of the 2d Edition personalized to me from Roger Rule. I had a signed original copy that I gave to my PH in Africa, after the hunt when he visited the US at the Great American Outdoor show. When in Africa he and the other PH's in the camp were huge model 70 fans and admired my pair of pre 64's, a 375 H&H and a 30-06 Featherweight. My 1955 30-06 Featherweight and another PH's 1955 270 Standard were less than 100 serial numbers apart. They were probably made the same day!

Last edited by sbrmike; 02/27/22.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sbrmike: No the originals did NOT come with "dust covers" as I ordered many of them.
Perhaps 338Reddog was/is misconstruing the "slip covered" Deluxe Edition of the Riflemans Rifle - that slip cover is a heavy material (board or cardboard?) that is covered with a very nice looking simulated leather material that matches the color of the originals bindings/covers?
Again this was on/came with the rare Deluxe Editions only.
Nope never seen a "dust cover" on ANY of versions/editions of this wonderful book.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sbrmike: Your post got me to thinkin and lookin'up and figger'in and to make a long story short my figger'in came up with an "average" daily total of pre-64 Winchester Model 70's produced came to almost exactly 86 (eighty six!) being produced per work day (week days).
This again is an AVERAGE daily production over the time the pre-64 Model 70's were made.
And I am sure during the production period of the "Featherweights" the production was higher per day than the pre-War years and the War years so indeed your vintage Rifle may have been made "the same day" as your professional Hunter friends Rifle.
Long live The Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Sbrmike: No the originals did NOT come with "dust covers" as I ordered many of them.
Perhaps 338Reddog was/is misconstruing the "slip covered" Deluxe Edition of the Riflemans Rifle - that slip cover is a heavy material (board or cardboard?) that is covered with a very nice looking simulated leather material that matches the color of the originals bindings/covers?
Again this was on/came with the rare Deluxe Editions only.
Nope never seen a "dust cover" on ANY of versions/editions of this wonderful book.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Me thinks your right

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Mom found a copy at a yard sale a couple of years ago ($10.00) a friend bought it from her. He did it to re sell. I should have got it for a reading copy. I am not sure I want to ruin mine. Lol

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by sbrmike
When in Africa he and the other PH's in the camp were huge model 70 fans and admired my pair of pre 64's, a 375 H&H and a 30-06 Featherweight

Mike, I hope you created a thread with pics of the rifles and the animals taken. If not, pics man!

My copy sits on the corner of my desk. I have grown weary of getting up repeatedly and fetching it off the bookshelf.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am Lucky enough to have a softcover on my nightstand and 3 hard copies, one for each of my kids, all 4 Roger signed for me, very prized books for sure.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 338reddog
My Mom found a copy at a yard sale a couple of years ago ($10.00) a friend bought it from her. He did it to re sell. I should have got it for a reading copy. I am not sure I want to ruin mine. Lol

I think a lot of us here buy the soft cover books to thumb through and use for reference, rather than ruining our collectible hard cover editions.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sbrmike
I never saw or heard of a dust jacket on the Rifleman's Rifle?

The soft cover is fairly inexpensive and readily available as they can be pumped out as needed by the printer. They are OK for reference, but they are printed on a slightly thicker grade of newspaper. The photos are not nearly as enjoyable as those on the first or second hard cover editions.

I have seen prices much higher than posted here. The 2d Edition bringing at least $300 and the first much higher than that.

I have a signed copy of the 2d Edition personalized to me from Roger Rule. I had a signed original copy that I gave to my PH in Africa, after the hunt when he visited the US at the Great American Outdoor show. When in Africa he and the other PH's in the camp were huge model 70 fans and admired my pair of pre 64's, a 375 H&H and a 30-06 Featherweight. My 1955 30-06 Featherweight and another PH's 1955 270 Standard were less than 100 serial numbers apart. They were probably made the same day!

Prices have gone down considerably. Keep an eye on ebay. That is what is going to tell you what they are selling for. Back when I got mine, they were going for $450. Not so much anymore..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I may make a post it will take some time to find pics of guns.

Anyhow my 375 H&H pre 64 Winchester Model 70 talked loud in Africa. An Impala at 175 yards, a Blesbuck at 200 yards, and a Kudu at 270 yards. All one shot DRT except the Kudu. He was trotting and I didn't lead him enough. I held on his nose but the PH later told me that I should have held one meter in front of his nose at that distance on a trotting Kudu. The PH's only told me the ranges after I downed them all. Not like on TV where they spoon feed you. No tracking needed though. These shots were all off of sticks / Sitting.

The 30-06 Fwt took a Springbuck at 100 yards Offhand and a Duiker at 190 yards from a knee.

There are stories and pics in the "African Hunting Gazette" magazine Spring 2017 page 80 Issue and Summer 2017 issue page 48. They used to archive older issues online.

Last edited by sbrmike; 02/27/22.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just checking to see what the current values of the rule book is.

I bought a paperback copy when I read this post the first time and have been keeping an eye out since.

A 1982 came up on eBay a day or so ago for around $300. Didn’t really have that much money for a book but took a wild hair made an offer of $250 not expecting much but they accepted. Hopefully a pretty good buy have to wait until I see the condition in person.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
How life changes! In the days I was travelling a lot. When road trips, I religiously hauled around the Blue Book, Rifleman's Rifle and a (pre Standard Catalog) S&W Book. A dream to have all content on a laptop! When I was at Oxford U., UK in Nineties, opportunity to hold in privileged white gloved hands, manuscripts dating to 15th Century. It was a high privilege of my "Studies Endeavour" and trying to act impressed. Yet, conjuring "The Bear" historic local Pub on personal agenda! My irreverence!

The point, "books", manuscripts or stone tablets, are for content! Vehicles toward learning, knowledge & referejnce. The few exceptions, days of my youth, the category arriving in "Plain Brown Envelopes!" smile Different strokes! Nowadays, we have such laptop capabilities and Internet to connect us to materials as well as GB! I'd ever rather put my dollars in the guns & freeload! Internet references & @ GB for expert info!
Just my take!
Best!
John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 204guy, 67 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,812
Posts18,477,605
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.