Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kunas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
anyone have a line on some 2 3/4 12 gauge turkey loads, seems to be pretty tough to find in stock anywhere. I just picked up a valmet with 2 3/4 chamber that id like to try out this year turkey hunting

thanks Ron

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure you will find much in the way of dedicated turkey loads in 2 3/4". I think there are some TSS loads out there, but they are expensive. In lead, you will have the most luck finding high brass #6 and #4 shot. Due to the limited capacity of ther 2 3/4" shell, I'd likely go with #6 shot for pattern density. Plenty of turkeys have fallen to rounds like these.

Here is Winchester #4 and #6

https://www.sgammo.com/product/12-g...ce-number-6-shot-winchester-super-x-high

https://www.sgammo.com/product/12-g...ce-number-4-shot-winchester-super-x-high

Here are some Winchester 2 3/4" # "Turkey Loads." (I'd probably still opt for the #6 shot above based on shot size, density of shot pattern, and velocity. In #4, I'd go with thuese due to weight of shot in the shell.)

https://www.mackspw.com/Winchester-Super-X-Turkey-Load-Copper-Plated-12-Ga-2.75-1-1-2-Oz

Last edited by 10Glocks; 03/02/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Back before we knew you had to use special loads for turkey I got by with heavy upland loads in #5 and #6 and did ok.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ron I have some Silver box Winchester #4 turkey loads I could part with. I shot them for several years in the fall in my old SxS.

I'm pretty sure I still have them I'll check tomorrow and see how many I have.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Local Walmart here has plenty of 4,5and 6 shot pheasant loads. I’ve killed a pile of turkeys with 2 3/4 1 1/4oz pheasant loads growing up. They’ll work fine at “normal” ranges.

IC B2

K
kunas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by TheKid
Local Walmart here has plenty of 4,5and 6 shot pheasant loads. I’ve killed a pile of turkeys with 2 3/4 1 1/4oz pheasant loads growing up. They’ll work fine at “normal” ranges.

outside of "normal" ranges the valmet has a triple duece on the bottom if they hang up further out. i checked one of our walmarts this morning with nothing there

thanks for the replies

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like the way you think. I would way rather hunt them with a rifle or pistol than a shotgun but sadly I think our rifle season went extinct this year. We don’t have many turkeys left anymore anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've not seen any 2 3/4 " in awhile either. I used to see a lot of Remington 2 3/4" turkey loads but, not anymore.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Specific loads for turkey are usually just overpriced #4 or #6 pheasant loads.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Not always hikerbum, specalized wads, buffered shot... sometimes there is a difference. Not always, but sometimes...

kunas, dug around in my shop and I have 10 rounds of Federal Premium 2-3/4" mag with 1-5/8oz of #4 available if you need it. Also have 7 rounds of Hevi-Shot 2-3/4" Duck with 1-1/4oz of #6. I think you can kill a turkey with duck loads, lol! PM me if you're at all interested...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Turkey loads usually have a bigger payload.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winchester used to make 2 3/4 inch turkey loads, because I've used them years ago, and they worked good. When my granddaughters started out turkey hunting, using 20 gauges, I used the 2 3/4 inch high brass #5 shot and they killed turkeys just fine. It does not take an expensive shell to kill a turkey.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
It is fun having options though...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

THIS !!!! Stop over thinking it. I have killed probably a hundred with "duck and pheasant" loads in 5 and 6 shot. I have killed a handful with 7 1/2 high brass in tight cover to great effect...

"High Brass" duck and pheasant loads are the "Remington Corelokts" and "Federal Blue Boxes" of the shot shell world...

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 03/03/22.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby

THIS !!!! Stop over thinking it. I have killed probably a hundred with "duck and pheasant" loads in 5 and 6 shot. I have killed a handful with 7 1/2 high brass in tight cover to great effect...

"High Brass" duck and pheasant loads are the "Remington Corelokts" and "Federal Blue Boxes" of the shot shell world...

This..... call then in, hunt them.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
6 full boxes total.

4 boxes Winchester (10each) 12 ga. 2&3/4" 1&1/2 oz #4s 1260 fps

2 boxes Federal Flight Control (10 each) 12 ga. 2&3/4" #4s. 1315 fps.

$130 shipped UPS for all.

Pm me with a cell number and I'll text you a pick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sure when I first started spring turkey hunting with my old New Haven 600 (a Montgomery Ward's branded Mossberg 500) with a C-lect choke I was using #4 or #6 Federal hi brass 2 3/4". Didn't know any better at the time. Wish I still had that gun, then I might try and pull off a "retro" turkey hunt the way I did it when I was young.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You really don't need to know any better today

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I'm sure when I first started spring turkey hunting with my old New Haven 600 (a Montgomery Ward's branded Mossberg 500) with a C-lect choke I was using #4 or #6 Federal hi brass 2 3/4". Didn't know any better at the time. Wish I still had that gun, then I might try and pull off a "retro" turkey hunt the way I did it when I was young.

Same gun my dad hunted with only it was a Westernfield 550C. But came from Monkey Ward's. The poly-choke actually was more effective than one might think.

I like going retro every once in a while, too. Sometimes carry my grandpa's "Choke Bore" Iver Johnson single 12 that he bought new in 1929. Took a bruiser of a fall gobbler last year with a 1948 Model 21 Winchester 16 gauge............a purple, Federal high brass #6 game load.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Time for the riddle yoderbOy

What do you call a guy that claims he's been paid by the turkey hunting and choke tube industries for two decades won't tell who paid him and hides behind a bogus user name on the internet ?

I think they call that a phoney....

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Same gun my dad hunted with only it was a Westernfield 550C. But came from Monkey Ward's. The poly-choke actually was more effective than one might think.

I like going retro every once in a while, too. Sometimes carry my grandpa's "Choke Bore" Iver Johnson single 12 that he bought new in 1929. Took a bruiser of a fall gobbler last year with a 1948 Model 21 Winchester 16 gauge............a purple, Federal high brass #6 game load.
I still have a WesternField 550 deluxe complete with basket weave impressed checkering, white line spacers, damascened bolt and etched game scenes that I hunt with regularly. The stock is a beautuiful, highly figured piece of feather crotch black walnut.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I still have a WesternField 550 deluxe complete with basket weave impressed checkering, white line spacers, damascened bolt and etched game scenes that I hunt with regularly. The stock is a beautuiful, highly figured piece of feather crotch black walnut.

That's a rare one. Would love to see pics of it !!

Mostly WesternField was the bargain basement, working man's gun. I mean........really. A generic Mossberg.

Dad's is the vertically slotted wood on the pump. Smooth pistol grip. And below plain Jane walnut. The bluing is about as high quality as the walnut. But it was always absolutely reliable for him. It's around 50 years old and has never been in need of any repair.

Last edited by Yoder409; 03/03/22.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC

What do you call a guy that claims he's been paid by the turkey hunting and choke tube industries for two decades won't tell who paid him and hides behind a bogus user name on the internet ?

Answer the riddle yoderbOy

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Mostly WesternField was the bargain basement, working man's gun. I mean........really. A generic Mossberg.

Dad's is the vertically slotted wood on the pump. Smooth pistol grip. And below plain Jane walnut. The bluing is about as high quality as the walnut. But it was always absolutely reliable for him. It's around 50 years old and has never been in need of any repair.
Mines also been completely reliable and never needed any repairs. It takes me back to my childhood when me and my brothers looked forward to the Wards and Sears catalogs coming in the mail every year. We'd pore over the pages of those catalogs for hours, particularly the gun/sporting goods section. I thought those 550 deluxes were beautiful when I was a kid but couldn't afford one. Years later when I found this one in like new condition at a gun show I snapped it up.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Kent 'fast lead' 2.75 #5's is an absolute hammer thru my old fixed-full Wingmaster.

As with any shotgun/choke/load combination, its all about finding what is going to throw a tight pattern consistently. You just have a little less room for error with the smaller-capacity charges.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC

Come out the closet and answer the riddle yoderbOy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Mines also been completely reliable and never needed any repairs. It takes me back to my childhood when me and my brothers looked forward to the Wards and Sears catalogs coming in the mail every year. We'd pore over the pages of those catalogs for hours, particularly the gun/sporting goods section. I thought those 550 deluxes were beautiful when I was a kid but couldn't afford one. Years later when I found this one in like new condition at a gun show I snapped it up.

I always thought Dad's gun was uckin' fugly. When I turned 12 I bought a brand new Winchester 1200 with my trapline money. Made Dad's gun look like a tomato stake.

Then I started hunting turkeys and patterning guns and then turkey tubes started to appear like the old Hastings and Woodward............. So I took Dad's tomato stake one day and wound the flamethrower choke as righty-tighty as it would go and had a 40-yarder at 30" paper. Surprised the chit outta me !!!

Decades later............... I've been eyeing 550C WesternFields in 20 gauge just to have a lighter gun, but with that same old "throwback, retro" feel.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I intend to take my old WesternField 550 turkey hunting this spring. Probably take my Sears J.C. Higgins 16 gauge side by side too. I like the retro guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Black_ice
Kent 'fast lead' 2.75 #5's is an absolute hammer thru my old fixed-full Wingmaster.

As with any shotgun/choke/load combination, its all about finding what is going to throw a tight pattern consistently. You just have a little less room for error with the smaller-capacity charges.

I have a box of their 4s. The plant is in my county. Used to be the Activ plant. Still have some of their nickel-plated 5s, which are local favorites. Had some 3” ones advertised (no 3” gun) some years back and had a number of calls for them long after they were gone. Good stuff.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC
6 full boxes total.

Why didn't you guys speak up and tell me I had this ammo over priced.....if Ron doesn't want it I'm going to list all 6 boxes for $70 shipped.

Its just sitting in my ammo cabinet.

I also found some 2&3/4" Winchester XR Rooster #4s with the Shot Lock Technology in a 25 rd plastic shotgun ammo box.
Brownells shows them out of stock at $38 a box for 15 rds....I believe there was 22 or 23 rds in the box.

If Ron doesn't want it I'll probably list it for $45 shipped....I bought it to.shoot in a Winchester 97 I had that I don't have any more. As I recall they shot pretty good in it.

Does that sound fair ?

K
kunas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by LFC
6 full boxes total.

Why didn't you guys speak up and tell me I had this ammo over priced.....if Ron doesn't want it I'm going to list all 6 boxes for $70 shipped.

Its just sitting in my ammo cabinet.

I also found some 2&3/4" Winchester XR Rooster #4s with the Shot Lock Technology in a 25 rd plastic shotgun ammo box.
Brownells shows them out of stock at $38 a box for 15 rds....I believe there was 22 or 23 rds in the box.

If Ron doesn't want it I'll probably list it for $45 shipped....I bought it to.shoot in a Winchester 97 I had that I don't have any more. As I recall they shot pretty good in it.

Does that sound fair ?

Sold !!!

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Ah! A Winchester 97! I have a scar on the top of my thumb from the very first time I racked one of those things decades ago! Lol!

NRA life member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Black_ice

I have a box of their 4s. The plant is in my county. Used to be the Activ plant. Still have some of their nickel-plated 5s, which are local favorites. Had some 3” ones advertised (no 3” gun) some years back and had a number of calls for them long after they were gone. Good stuff.

I killed my first bird with Activ 3" #4 shot 2 ounce loads. Still have a few left. Kicked like a mule.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
first one I killed was with Activ 3" #5 I think I still have a few as well

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I shot some when they came out I thought they shot like shet.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Killed a few with Activ 2 3/4” nickel plated 5 shot………….bad medicine for gobblers. Gary

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my gun liked them as well.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a few of the old Activ shells. They didn't pattern as well as other comparable shells and never made it into my turkey vest. In the 2.75" shell the Winchester XX baby magnum was always my go to shell. I have an old Remington 870 that killed a lot of gobblers with those short red hulled Winchester shells. They are copper plated shot, have a buffer mix in the 1.5 ounces of shot and were hi tech back in the day.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Kunas- pics of your 12 ga./.222?

K
kunas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
couple pics of the valmet 212, put a redfield 2x7 tv on it. Wicked accurate with old winchester 50 sp ammo. Had a few boxes for many years just waiting on something to shoot them in, will work up loads when the factory winchesters are done.

Attached Images
valmet 212.jpg (9.54 KB, 32 downloads)
valmet 212-1.jpg (9.47 KB, 31 downloads)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,937
Posts18,519,017
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.