Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My Grandpa killed 7 busks in his lifetime with a recurve in Wisconsin, all stalking. I have killed 9, mostly blacktails in Washington state and another 17 from a stand...

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by sgt217
My Grandpa killed 7 busks in his lifetime with a recurve in Wisconsin, all stalking. I have killed 9, mostly blacktails in Washington state and another 17 from a stand...

Impossible...grin ..

Most people don't have the stamina or desire to stalk wild bucks and fail constantly. Until you don't....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by sgt217

Impossible...grin ..

Most people don't have the stamina or desire to stalk wild bucks and fail constantly. Until you don't....

The slower you go the better you do...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
out of curiosity define stalking.

Vs still hunting.

Its pretty rare for us to see whitetails bed up. I see moose do it quite a bit and we can stalk them.

But have to have a target to stalk.

That was what was neat about mule deer. They bed where you can see em sometimes and you can watch em walk to the bed at times. Gives a much better chance. At least I can get down to moccasins or heavy socks close enough to try to finish.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
when i started bowhunting back in 1970 before the days of the compound bow , bowhunters could put up a homemade deer stand 6 ft. high and the whitetail deer never seen you .but as years went by deer got an education from bowhunters so we had to put our stands up much higher now days . yes maybe in the old days of the 60`s to early 70`s we could sneak up on whitetail deer sometimes which i could do with snow on the ground and just follow fresh tracks , but that practice does not work very well anymore and that was more of a still hunting with a bow. whitetail deer today have been very educated by the doe mama deer the dumber ones are dead that gene is long gone, also if you hunt the north country of Minnesota because of all the wolves these whitetail deer are weary and more spooky. i really hate to see wolves out west mule deer will be easy pickens for the crafty wolf .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
out of curiosity define stalking.

Vs still hunting.

By stalking, I mean spot and stalk. See an animal and either sneak up on it while it's bedded, or move to intercept.

Still hunting I would define as slowly and deliberately moving through the woods, in hopes to come across or incidentally sneak up on an animal.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Western North Dakota mule deer with a bow in the badlands I "hope" for 1 or 2 stalks in a 3-5 day hunt. My personal goal is just getting to full draw un-detected. In the past 12-15 years I have killed 3 mule deer bucks and missed 2 dandy mature bucks. The biggest heartbreaker in my life was drawing blood on a mature mule deer buck 2 years ago and never finding him. I still have nightmares about that one. The only conclusion that myself and hunting partners have come up with is I ended up in "No Man's Land" above the heart/frontal lung area and the spine. No matter what, you learn something on every hunt or stalk so get out there and do it. A lot of times I think people get paralysis by analysis or just spend too much time on internet sites hoping to find a magic bullet. Access to hunting land seems to be a factor I have seen change in 30+ years of hunting. We are fortunate in ND to have some public land to hunt on but finding a parking spot seems to be a bigger issue every year. All that being said, get out there and do it. Slow down when you think you are going slow enough is the best advice I can offer and the wind is EVERYTHING.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,731
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.