Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I got a 1953 Win M70 at a gunstore for $400 in 2012.
It would have been worth twice as much but it had a broken stock wrist.

Someone must have run over the rifle with a car in 1953 and never used it again. The rifle has almost no wear.

I had bought a re-barrelled 30-06 1956 M70 in 2005 for $585 and put a 270 pac nor barrel and Bordon Rimrock stock on it...... I still had the 1956 M70 Walnut stock.

So I performed a stock transplant... and produced a lovely 308 M70.

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice wood.

My 1953 M70 FWT .308 is one of my most accurate rifles and one of my favorites.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
"53 was at the very peak of Winchester quality, definitely a keeper, and you were so lucky to find it at any price.

Phil

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

I got a 1953 Win M70 at a gunstore for $400 in 2012.
It would have been worth twice as much but it had a broken stock wrist.

Someone must have run over the rifle with a car in 1953 and never used it again. The rifle has almost no wear.

I had bought a re-barrelled 30-06 1956 M70 in 2005 for $585 and put a 270 pac nor barrel and Bordon Rimrock stock on it...... I still had the 1956 M70 Walnut stock.

So I performed a stock transplant... and produced a lovely 308 M70.

[Linked Image]

I see the stock didn't pass sticks barrel break in method, but the Burris XTR rings and scope held up great on that "featherweight"!!!.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 53 FW wears a receiver sight and has never had a scope mounted on it. It shoots far better than I can!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 160user; 03/03/22.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
im sure one of the gun heads here on the fire could resurrect that broken stock for you Clark......

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Happy pre '64 Win 70 ending! Love 'em! smile Now if the barrel doesn't 'shoot around corners', presumably it's not bent!

I can't agree with the statement that '53 was the "peak of Winchester quality", but I suppose that could be definitional. The pre-wars & early postwar iterations in my opinion were the about the quality peak. But then too, they were all with clip accoutrements (magnum chamberings excepted) and without scope bridges tapped. Perhaps some folks might claim those features depreciated functional quality. For smoothness, definitely the earlier genre! The integral milled ramp a quality plus too! Functionally as 'rubber meeting road' they were all great rifles. Though especially my '63 300 Win Mag, M 70, elevator 'down button' already 'pushed' in respect of the stock... Oh my!
Back to the O/P, how about a 'range report?'
Best!
John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 160user
My 53 FW wears a receiver sight and has never had a scope mounted on it. It shoots far better than I can!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now that is sweet as hell. I love a good shooting rifle. And a good looker too... Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Clarkm: I may recognize that Rifle?
I was the POH-lice in a large Puget Sound area city for 29 years and back in about 1982 I was called to a "domestic disturbance" where the wife had taken her husbands shotguns and Rifles out to the curb of the street. Layed them onto the curb and then drove over them with one of the family cars!
He soon got home from work and saw the carnage and went apoplectic.
The insensitive act harmed all the guns (about 10 of them including Browning Citoris, Weatherby MK-IV's and a couple of pre-64 Winchester Model 70's!) - destroying some and just breaking a few others.
Anyway that state was/is a "community property state" and if the bitch wife wanted to break/destroy her husbands property she was legally entitled to do so!
Personally I wanted to kick the bitch directly in the twat - but I left that for the aggrieved husband to consider.
Anyway your photo reminded me of that incident and either a horse rolled on that Rifle or it was victim of some weird incident.
Looks good now - and be nice to your wife.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by crshelton
nice wood.

My 1953 M70 FWT .308 is one of my most accurate rifles and one of my favorites.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

There's a self-assured man.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Clark M & 160User: Damn - my pre-64 Winchester Model 70 collection includes 11 "Featherweights" and only ONE of my Featherweights has the relatively rare "solid bolt" feature!
And here on one thread we have two of them.
Good for you's guys.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Clarkm: I may recognize that Rifle?
I was the POH-lice in a large Puget Sound area city for 29 years and back in about 1982 I was called to a "domestic disturbance" where the wife had taken her husbands shotguns and Rifles out to the curb of the street. Layed them onto the curb and then drove over them with one of the family cars!
He soon got home from work and saw the carnage and went apoplectic.
The insensitive act harmed all the guns (about 10 of them including Browning Citoris, Weatherby MK-IV's and a couple of pre-64 Winchester Model 70's!) - destroying some and just breaking a few others.
Anyway that state was/is a "community property state" and if the bitch wife wanted to break/destroy her husbands property she was legally entitled to do so!
Personally I wanted to kick the bitch directly in the twat - but I left that for the aggrieved husband to consider.
Anyway your photo reminded me of that incident and either a horse rolled on that Rifle or it was victim of some weird incident.
Looks good now - and be nice to your wife.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Interesting!

In 1984 I had a neighbor [800 feet away on 5 acres near Snohomish] whose wife threw his guns in the woods. He had collected Win M12 shotguns and told me it took many years to collect the 28 gauge.
In 2000 he was long gone, but the new neighbors cleared land to build a barn and found a gun [m70?]. It was a blob of rust. They mounted it on the barn wall. I was able to give them a story to go with it.... like you have given me.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Clarkm: Another story from the Pacific Northwest and my memory dates it to about 1980 - 1985. Maybe you remember it also?
Seems a logger/construction type guy down in Enumclaw, Washington (the locals refer to it as "Enumscratch") got wind of his wife taking up with another man and she was planning on meeting for the first time with a divorce lawyer!
So as a preemptive act of defiance/anger he took out his bulldozer and drove it through the family dwelling a couple of times - totaling it!
I am sure once the lawyers got into the "property settlement" phase of the divorce that the husband was directed to "reimburse" the cheating bitch for her loss in the value of the property.
An old saying comes to mind - "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"!
Sad about that Model 70 being subjected to the incessant rains out Snohomish way.
Stay dry.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 10 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.