Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Man this IS the sandwhich er, ah....sammich.

Awsome. I used to keep a boat down on Maryland's Chesapeake Bay and This is the Beef sandwich to beat.

Big Al's in Essex is the place to go.

Pugs..........???????

Maryland is not known for its BBQ, but we do have something special. Its called Pit Beef. I've sampled this across the Baltimore region, and it is awesome. All I can say is it is unbelievable. Cook the roast directly over the charcoal. Turn it frequently, until it is black on each side. It needs to be rare, so take it off the fire as soon as it reaches 120-130 degrees. It will continue to cook while you're slicing it.

BALTIMORE PIT BEEF SANDWICH

Time: 1 hour, plus 3 hours' to 3 days' marinating

For the rub:
2 tablespoons seasoned salt
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

For the sandwich:
1 3-pound piece top round
8 kaiser rolls or 16 slices of rye bread
Horseradish sauce (see recipe)
1 sweet white onion, sliced thin
2 ripe tomatoes, sliced thin (optional)
Iceburg lettuce (optional).

1. Combine ingredients for the rub in a bowl, and mix. Sprinkle 3 to 4 tablespoons all over the beef, patting it in. Place in a baking dish, and cover with plastic wrap. You can cover the beef with the rub for a few hours, but for maximum flavor, leave it for 3 days in the refrigerator, turning once a day.

2. Prepare a hot grill. Grill beef 30 to 40 minutes, or until outside is crusty and dark brown and internal temperature is about 120 degrees (for rare). Turn beef often. Transfer to a cutting board; let it rest 5 minutes.

3. Slice beef thinly across grain. Pile beef high on a roll or bread slathered with horseradish sauce. Garnish with onions, tomatoes and sliced lettuce. Serve.

Yield: 8 sandwiches.

HORSERADISH SAUCE

Time: 3 minutes

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup prepared white horseradish, or to taste
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and black pepper to taste.

Combine ingredients in a bowl, and whisk to mix. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups.

BTW... Put a splash of your fav BBQ Sauce on the sandwich. We call them samwiches in Baltimore.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good post Denny. I've been thinking I need to try this with some venison. For the record, I've never had a decent pit beef from a restaurant but there's a couple of little wagons that produce some wonderful stuff. In particular there's one down near the Home Depot on route one that I'll stop at if I'm down that way on a Saturday.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Pugs,Try Big Al's on Eastern Blvd (Ave?) near Back River in Essex.It's just a little joint with two or three stools and some picnic tables.He has a couple of other locations but I have never been to them.

During the sommer months at lunch time they come from all over.He even enjoyed a moment of fame in a NY Times write up.Rated #1 in "Bal'mer"

Might hafta buy another boat.Lemme see hhmmmmmmmmm.

44 footer Sea Ray Sedan Bridge, W/twin diesels smile smile
Might hafta trade the Harley tee shirts in on a blue blazer, crisp whites and a pair of deckies

Leave dockside early AM for St. Michaels and back in the Inner Harbor by 2100 hours for cocktails.

[Linked Image]

Ok , back to reality

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 21, 17CalFan, 1234, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,464
Posts18,508,289
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.