Print Thread
Hop To
R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
A local pawn shop has a "minty" looking Browning Highwall in .45/70 for sale. It looks to be in excellent condition. They have a price of $1195 on it which is $100 or so under the "Blue Book" value, but I think it could be had for under $1,000 cash.

The action is very smooth and it has several different "disk" inserts that come with it for the rear "fold-down" peepsight.

I wouldn't mind having it, but I'm happy with my RSI. If any of you are interested, PM me with any details you wanna know and I'll take another look at it for you... or if you prefer, I'll give you the shop's address and phone number and you can contact them yourself. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Depends on which model it is. Might be a good value or might not. If it is a BPCR model that would be a great price. The Browning BPCR has a half octagon 30" barrel and a globe front sight with a spirit level, PG stock with a flat shotgun butt plate.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Paul39
Depends on which model it is. Might be a good value or might not. If it is a BPCR model that would be a great price. The Browning BPCR has a half octagon 30" barrel and a globe front sight with a spirit level, PG stock with a flat shotgun butt plate.

Paul

And, it will say Black Powder Only on the Badger made barrel... I have one, as described above.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
As a further comment, in my area, Southern California, I haven't seen a used Browning/Winchester/Miroku model 1885 Highwall go for less than $1299.00

Some of the lowwall Browning/Winchester/Miroku model 1885's also go for that much. It is a function of the area, the scarcity of the rifle, the caliber, and what the traffic will bear. The Market place at work...!

Bill

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Stillwater
Originally Posted by Paul39

Paul

And, it will say Black Powder Only on the Badger made barrel... I have one, as described above.

Courtesy of Browning's lawyers! (I have one too. Great rifle.)

Paul

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mouthwash is "minty." Guns in excellent shape are "like new."
_

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Mouthwash is "minty." Guns in excellent shape are "like new."
_

Or, As New In Box (ANIB)

Bill

R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Here's the information on that Browning High-Wall...

I really looked it over good and made notes. As it turns out, it is in very good condition, but not quite as "minty" as I originally thought from the rather fast look I had at it previously.

It was made by Miroku and has a 27-inch octogon barrel measured from the muzzle back to where the barrel enters the receiver. If you include the receiver, it would probably be a 28 inch octogon barrel.

The serial number is #016xxPV247... and it has a tang peep sight with 4 different sight discs. Three of them have a single hole in the center of the disc and three different sized holes while one disc has 5 holes in it arranged in an arc.

I examined the metal closely and I did not see any flaws, blemishes or scratches in any of the metal parts.

I did see a few light scratches and "dings" in the wood on both the forearm and the butt-stock, but they are not all that noticeable except on close examination.

However, there is a "ding" on the top, left edge of the forearm and another on the top of the comb of the stock that weren't there the last time I looked at the gun. The shop owner said that another rifle fell against it and apparently caused those two "dings". They aren't bad, but you can see them without straining.

Someone has replaced the screw that holds the upper peep sight ramp to it's base which, in turn, is screwed to the rifle's tang. As a result, the sight is not "solidly held" it it's upright position. The buyer would need to get the proper screw from Browning and replace the substitute someone put in the peep sight to screw the upper ramp to the lower sight base.

The rear sight located on the rear of the barrel that "dove-tails" into a slot on the barrel has been removed. The slot in the rear of the barrel is there and in excellent condition, but it is empty.

There are two � inch holes with wooden "threads" inside the holes the wood... one in the forearm and the other is in the butt-stock. It appears to me these are for threaded wooden pieces which are used to hold the sling swivels. The buyer would need to obtain these missing threaded "plugs" if he wished to put a sling on the rifle. I assume these are factory parts and could be relatively easily obtained.

It has nice, but not highly-figured wood and the rifle has a schnoble forearm which, with the octogon barrel, gives the rifle a "classic" appearance.

Overall, I would rate this rifle to be in about 95% condition... but then, is IS a used rifle, but has had obvious quality care. Had it not been for the other rifle falling against it, I would have rated it 97%-98%.

I forgot to check to bore, but anyone who took care of the rifle's outside as good as the original owner did would also take care of the barrel as well, so the lans and grooves should be good. However, I'd check it before anyone from the "fire" attempted to buy it.

The action is flawless and smooth... and all of the metal parts have that deep, dark glossy bluing on them.

When evaluating my comments about this rifle, you must understand that I am a VERY "picky" person when it comes to the condition of a fine rifle. So please use that information as a "gauge" of how I judged the .45/70 Browning High-Wall rifle.

Incidentally, I spoke to the pawn shop owner about his price and he said that the price of the rifle is $1199 firm. I'm listing the address and phone number of the pawn shop and the contact person. Contact "Pat" at the Loan Star Pawn Shop, 5335 N. Dixie Dr., Dayton, Ohio 45414. Phone: (937) 277-3344

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for the particulars. I have no idea what that model would be worth, but my gut feeling is that it is no bargain. The rear sight sounds like something aftermarket. Again, the value would depend on the brand/model. Tang sights can vary from less than $100 for the cheaper Italian sights to close to $500 for the best American versions.

Paul

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She's not a BPCR , ....Boys.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Sounds like it could be a Traditional Hunter model.
$1200 is pretty close to what it would go for around here anyway.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
She's not a BPCR , ....Boys.

GTC

Your right, it's not a BPCR, but the LTD model...!

Bill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,309
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.