Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hello folks,

I shoot a low poundage bow bow and use Slick Tricks and Muzzy broadheads. These have served me well over the years but I was wondering about some of the newer options out there like the B3 Destrukt or SlickTrick Assailant.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What do you consider a low poundage bow?

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
More info is needed, Draw length, poundage, arrow weight, speed of the arrow.

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
60# bow with a 7.75" brace height and a 26.5" draw length. I guess low poundage is a relative term.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I've just used slick tricks from back when you had to order them direct from them.

Killed this bull with my switchback set at 57lbs, 30 yards, watched him go lay down and kick his last from where I shot him.

I have not seen anything about killing with a slick trick that would make me rethink/rework my arrow setup.

Kent

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I’ve killed four elk at 62 pounds draw weight, three with Slick Trick standards or Viper 100s.

Ranges were 12-50 yards - the 50 yard shot was a full double lung pass through with the Viper.

Your setup ain’t broke…

Last edited by AH64guy; 06/09/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot my 10th bull elk last year all with 60# or a little less bows drawn to ~29" and shooting arrows weighing from 360-425gr. I have used Muzzy 90gr 4 blade broadheads on most of them but the last couple have been shot with Wack'em 100gr 3 blade heads. I'll be shooting 50# this year due to a shoulder issue and will be shooting arrows in the 360gr range with 100gr Wack'ems. No doubt in my mind they will work just fine.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Magnus Stingers are a very good low poundage ( or high poundage) broadhead.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Cut on contract heads penetrate the best for every setup. Ultimately I would shoot what ever is the most accurate head you can find. When deciding on what is most accurate, I like to shoot on clam days and in the wind. I also shoot the broadhead at all distances I think I might shoot while hunting. A critter hit in both lungs with any broadhead will die.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if you have the ability to know how too sharpen cut on impact broadheads its still tough to beat a Zwickey broadhead out of a longbow or a recurve bow.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Zwickey is a decent head but there are better 2 blade broad heads. Roger Rothaar hunted with a 45# recurve and designed his own 3 blade heads called the Snuffer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HaYen
60# bow with a 7.75" brace height and a 26.5" draw length. I guess low poundage is a relative term.
Compound?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't consider 60# to be light. If you're worried about penetration find a good COC 2 blade.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Zwickey is a decent head but there are better 2 blade broad heads. Roger Rothaar hunted with a 45# recurve and designed his own 3 blade heads called the Snuffer.
And they were the loudest of any traditional broadheads we ever shot with our recurves. But good Lord if you ever shot at a hearing impaired deer. They would tear a hole!

Most of my bow/elk buddies use slick tricks and love em. A few like Ramcats. I’ll be shooting Slick Tricks next year on elk.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Use a good fixed place that’s not huge and you’ll have no problem.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
60 lbs will be fine for almost any broadhead on the market. Just don't get too wide and all will be fine.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Godogs57
And they were the loudest of any traditional broadheads we ever shot with our recurves. But good Lord if you ever shot at a hearing impaired deer. They would tear a hole!

Most of my bow/elk buddies use slick tricks and love em. A few like Ramcats. I’ll be shooting Slick Tricks next year on elk.

The point I was trying to make(no pun intended) was that this guy killed monster whitetails with a 45# recurve and a pretty heavy 3 bladed broadhead.

I didn[t know that it made noise like that, I think Feradyne makes it now. I bought a few packs of Slick Tricks during Covid. Out of 10 broad heads 2 would not spin right , they are recommended by a lot of people. Its a good sturdy design and they have excellent steel on the blades. I will use them this year in Maryland.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

If you have any old Snuffers you don't want, please send me a PM and let's see what we can work out. I have no problem shooting them. Death whistle and all.

To the OP question, there are so many great heads out there I think it all comes down to
A: cut on contact heads, and
B: what you have confidence in.

And BTW 60# is not light in my world. 40 is, but I've seen kids get clean killing pass throughs with 35# too.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bbassi

If you have any old Snuffers you don't want, please send me a PM and let's see what we can work out. I have no problem shooting them. Death whistle and all.

To the OP question, there are so many great heads out there I think it all comes down to
A: cut on contact heads, and
B: what you have confidence in.

And BTW 60# is not light in my world. 40 is, but I've seen kids get clean killing pass throughs with 35# too.

Yep….lotta guys love the original version.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

i always shot arrows that were 4 fletched RW helical with Zwickey broadheads seemed to work fine for me ? but i would spin every Zwickey broadhead to get it straight on the arrow and rechecked the broadhead once it was sharpen by me.my broadheads were always hot glued on a solid broadhead insert. was alot more work but it did keep the arrow quieter . sure left a good bloodtrail to follow for me but some people can`t sharpen broadheads or knives best they use a different type of broadhead.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 31 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,873
Posts18,478,779
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.