Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I liked Snuffers.

No probs w flight, running 3 fletch helical. Shelf shot w material gapped for quill clearance.....never understood shooting 4 fletch as it guarantees some crash.

No noise issues w big ol Snuffers, but then my recurves paper tune beautiful.

3 big blades.... mandates a bow of some thump, IIRC they say 55# or heavier in trad.
Also, according to a Stickbow thread, Roger Rothhaar shot 60# Black Widow and Assenheimer bows for a while

When older he dropped to 45#..............his draw length was 29.5 though.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/11/22.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Zwickey is a decent head but there are better 2 blade broad heads. Roger Rothaar hunted with a 45# recurve and designed his own 3 blade heads called the Snuffer.
And they were the loudest of any traditional broadheads we ever shot with our recurves. But good Lord if you ever shot at a hearing impaired deer. They would tear a hole!

Most of my bow/elk buddies use slick tricks and love em. A few like Ramcats. I’ll be shooting Slick Tricks next year on elk.

The point I was trying to make(no pun intended) was that this guy killed monster whitetails with a 45# recurve and a pretty heavy 3 bladed broadhead.

I didn[t know that it made noise like that, I think Feradyne makes it now. I bought a few packs of Slick Tricks during Covid. Out of 10 broad heads 2 would not spin right , they are recommended by a lot of people. Its a good sturdy design and they have excellent steel on the blades. I will use them this year in Maryland.

one thing about old Roger Rottharr " spelling is wrong " he got caught in a portable deer stand at midnight hunting big bucks and paid a big fine , those Snuffer heads are a decent broadhead but hard to sharpen. i did enjoy Roger`s stories but after his conviction never heard much about him after that, kinda same thing happened to Noel Feather after he got caught never heard about him again either. but their stories were interesting and even helpful back in those days.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So pete, does this mean you don't like poachers? Does that include people who hunt over bait corn?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think RothR cooked his own goose.

He wrote something like “ I will never bother shooting any buck under 145 inches”

That year he was arrested dragging an untagged dink outta da woods after midnite.

He should’ve Katy Perry Ed up.

“ I whacked a dink and I liked it!”

“ Just hope the fish cop don’t find it.”

“ It felt so good”

“It felt so right “

“ think I’ll fry some to night!”

Last edited by Angus1895; 06/12/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by HaYen
Hello folks,

I shoot a low poundage bow bow and use Slick Tricks and Muzzy broadheads. These have served me well over the years but I was wondering about some of the newer options out there like the B3 Destrukt or SlickTrick Assailant.

60 ain't low poundage, it's probably the bog standard draw weight, and also mechanical broad heads give and take from the same hand. If the shot is too far back they kill better and if it's too far forward they often won't kill at all.

Getting something that flies well and flies quietly is pretty much all that matters. I have boxes of broad heads and both the muzzys and slick tricks are two that always shot well so I still use them even though I can't believe I've been using them for 15 years now. As for the B3's, buy em and report back!

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895

He wrote something like “ I will never bother shooting any buck under 145 inches”

That year he was arrested dragging an untagged dink outta da woods after midnite.

“ It felt so good”

“It felt so right “

LOL!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

“ It felt so good”

“It felt so right “

the game wardens were after Roger rather it was right or wrong , one or more of the people in his area were the tell teach teacher type people , we got a few on the campfire too ? these tell teacher boys always feel they are so perfect , but are just keyboard little selfish boys , momma baby`d them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago...........both the Mrs and my boy (10 or 11 at the time) shot 38#. I believe (it's been a lotta years) on 2013 XX-78's.

She used 75 grain Rocky Mt. 3-blade replaceable. He used 65 grain Steelforce Titanium 2-blade fixed.

Every deer she shot was a complete pass-through. Same for him except for an 8-pointer he drove through and hit the far shoulder blade on. That deer dropped in its tracks and kicked a little.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i had pass throughs also always over many years, my last 200 lb.`er 4 years ago was with a 50 lb. bow using a 2219 / Zwickey Eskimo 4 blade that i hand sharpened plenty blood . but now with my very bad shoulders i have a crossbrow that will shoot Zwickey Eskimo broadheads excellent hope to get another chance or 2 on a bigger buck again !

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Lot of good options new and old. & some really poorly constructed heads out there as well. Think sharp sharp cut on contact with structural integrity, not too big for your setup & above all be sure your Bow tune, arrow & BH are facilitating an arrow with true flight.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if you can learn how to put a serrated type edge after the broadhead has been sharpened that really makes a deer bleed.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pete53

“ It felt so good”

“It felt so right “

the game wardens were after Roger rather it was right or wrong , one or more of the people in his area were the tell teach teacher type people , we got a few on the campfire too ? these tell teacher boys always feel they are so perfect , but are just keyboard little selfish boys , momma baby`d them.

Nah pete, we just can't stand poachers. Especially poachers who want to portray themselves as God's gift to bowhunting. Some people actually suck up to those guys, can you believe that?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I've been shooting Thunderheads for around 35yrs with excellent results and have never had a reason to change. I've toyed around with others but always ended back up with Thunderheads when the season rolled around. They are scary sharp out of the package, tune great, make big holes and their price don't break the bank. I've got so many stocked up now over the years that i'd be crazy to shoot anything else at this point. I shoot a 50lb Allegiance and a 100gr Thunderhead and have no problems what so ever with pass thru's. My daughter shoots 46lbs and has the same results. Lots of good options and choices out there now a days when it comes to broadheads but i've personally always preferred a sharp fixed blade.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
smokepole , try to forget your keyboard tuff guy negative attitude and try and be a little bit more positive. some people make a few mistakes ,
you probably have too ? that`s where being positive and forgiving their mistakes makes a person a real man not a boy . try it you will probably start feeling better too ?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, pete, I try to cut everyone some slack. Your bromance with shart notwithstanding, he doesn't deserve any.

PS, there's nothing "tuff guy" about what I said but nice try.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
LOL, pete, I try to cut everyone some slack. Your bromance with shart notwithstanding, he doesn't deserve any.

PS, there's nothing "tuff guy" about what I said but nice try.

well good for you ! you seem a little positive today .so have a great week

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You too pete. Time to ramp up the practicing for hunting season.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
good luck this fall and be safe,Pete53

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, Bclark, BangPop, 6 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,686
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.