Print Thread
Hop To
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Greetings:<P>I'm interested in getting a good hunting dog, but after a not to successful run with an English pointer and then a Shorthair, I guess I just don't have the time or know-how to keep a pointer sharp. I like to hunt pheasants locally, but I always spend at least four long weekends per hunting season in southern Arizona hunting quail with my brother in law. <P>I've noticed that points are rare in that country, because the birds all run like the dickens! I thought it was just my dogs, but my brother in law says he can't see much use for pointers in that country, as most birds won't hold a point.<P>I like Springers, but have heard a lot about Labs lately, though I suspect they might overheat quickly in that desert.<P>I guess the bottom line is that I need a breed that suits my hunting, is easy to train, and doesn't take a lot of tuning to keep functioning. I've had it with pointing dogs running all over creation flushing birds.<P>Any advice?

GB1

J
J
Flusher:<P>Have you looked into a pointing lab. I don't know about them overheating, but my buddy has one that definitely does not run big. I don't know how much he actually "points." To me it looks like he kinda hesitates as if he's not sure. But the sonofagun retrieves evrything that hits the ground!<P>For a close-working dog that's biddable and retrieves everything, I sure would think a Lab would do ya.<P>Also, I don't know much about spaniels, but isn't a Springer and all other flushers supposed to work close? I might look into them too, especially if you're worried about overheating.<P>Luck, and let us know.<P>Jimbo

The Only Time Gin Is Bad Is When You Have A 44 In Hand.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gentlemen:<P>I am in the same mindset as Flusher. I had two very good GSP's, and hunted the tar out of them. They were both good retrievers and worked pretty close most times, but those dogs quickly learned not to hold points too steadily on desert quail and wild pheasants. Maybe it was the cover I hunted, row crops and desert, that was conducive to birds running (you gotta hunt 'em where they are), but I soon learned to let the dogs creep some. Once that started, it took some work to keep them from wanting to break point.<P>This time, I'm going with a Springer. I'm on the waiting list for a bitch out of a very good breeding, which should whelp September 22, and I'll be glad to not have to worry about pointing ethics for a time.<P>Don't get me wrong. I love pointers and shooting over pointers. I'm just not sure that southwestern birds are the optimum place to run them.<P>As to Labs, I like them, but not enough to choose one over a traditional foot hunting dog. <P>Looking forward to the Springer.<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
T
T
From what I've seen, German Shorthairs and Brittany's are the most popular dogs out in the southwest. All those guys aren't buying pointing breeds for nothing. I bet a flusher or lab would work good too, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a pointing dog, especially if you hunt them in the right places.<P>Teach

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 15 invisible), 1,649 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,588
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.