Print Thread
Hop To
B
bigbear Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
New to casting. Where to find it, how much to pay.Is it worth having it mailed to me? Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use wheelweights for my casting of both pistol and rifle bullets. You will need pure lead for casting bullets/balls for muzzle loaders.
I get the wheelweights from the tire dealers and avoid shipping. The last time I bought some they were much cheaper than buying alloy from a foundry but if you choose to do that, Handloader Magazine usually has some advertisers.

Welcome to the casting fraternity.

Rolly
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
WW metal is the best, most universal. Lead is really high right now, the highest in history. Still, there are tire shops that will still part with them. They really want someone to pick them up on a regular basis. Personally, I would not pay over .30 cents a lb. for used weights. Foundry alloy is still an alloy, it varies. By getting enough WW you can make your alloy very consistent by melting in large batches. There are lots of good folks here who will help when you need it, just ask!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
bigbear, where are you located?

location has a big part to do with how easily it is to get WW's.

I can get all I want from my local tire shops for free.

as far as having it mailed.

Flat rate boxes at the post office are your friend! Just tape em up really really good!

What calibers/cartridges are you going to start casting for?

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bigbear
You are coming up on prime wheel weight hunting season.
All you need is a pair of channel lock pliars. The best hunting is found at dusk at any large shopping mall's parking lot.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hey arkypete,if your luycky enough to be on the L.A. freey system here in Cal. around 3:45 to 6:35 they seem to be just falling off the wheels. Dave

If you can't do it right the first time
then let someone else do it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I haven't cast bullets in years, but have still tried to stockpile lead and wheelweights to make my own if need be!

Once as a boy I went with my dad to a military pistol range that had been around for a couple decades. We had to dig down several inches, but eventually found all the spent, jacketed bullets we could carry.

That was a great source for pure lead.

The fellows here who get the wheel-weights regularly apparently know managers who are friendly and predisposed favorably towards guns and shooting. Sometimes tire stores I've inquired at sell their wheel-weight scrap to me, some others have been damn-adament in saying "No!" It promised to some environmetally-friendly scrap yard.

I usually get it in 5-6 gallon buckets, about 1/2 full or so. Used to be $20-$30 or so. Price should have really soared since then.

Almost forgot - my dad melted his lead with an old blow-torch (and steel pot) he got from my grandfather, that's now mine. I've used a Coleman Butane stove to melt and clean lead or wheelweights myself.

Silver solder and linotype are sources for lead too, altho not always in large or reliable quantites. After my father passed, I melted his diving weights into ingot, too. wink

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I dont' think you'll find linotype around much anymore.

A source few find or think of is medical buildings renovation or abandoning. All the X ray ares have 4x8 sheets of lead lined sheet rock. New hospital they built here messed up, I managed 4 full sheets of the scrapped sheetrock.

The old hospital is being converted to ISD building, that xray room is ripe at some point too!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I got my wheelweights from any tire store that would give them away. They are dirty and you need to flux it and skim the dirt out of it quite a bit.
I got my linotype from a friend who worked in a small printing shop. They bought an old linotype machine and got the linotype with it. More than they needed.
I got my pure lead and bar solder from an old high school buddy who is a plumber, he scrounged it when they made the transition to plastic pipe.
I have a lifetime supply and haven't had to buy any since I bought the linotype back in the 80's.
whelennut

Last edited by whelennut; 10/15/07.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got about 980# of dead soft lead from an office remodel about 8 years ago (CEO who was worried about corporate spying, had his office and adjoining conference room lead lined). Paid $0.09 per pound for it.

Got about 200# of wheel weight lead from a friend who was moving and didn't want to take it with him. For Free.

Don't know what current prices are for any of it. I'm sure I would be shocked . . . I think I'm set for a long, long time.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,190
Posts18,523,946
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.