Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
bg Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi, I've hunted with other peoples dogs for a while, but finally took the big step to get my own. She's a beauty. Any advice on how to train her? I'm reading the books and watching the videos now. Thanks, Bill.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Bill:<P>Well, there's a whole lot to dog training, but it's also not rocket science. Here's a couple things I've found helpful:<P>If she's a pup, let her be a pup! Focus on 80% play, 20% training.<P>Keep the yardwork in the yard. When you run her in the field, let her enjoy herself to her heart's delight.<P>NEVER give her a command if you're not in a position to enforce it. Once she knows what a command means, only say it once. If she doesn't comply, GENTLY force her to do it as you say it the second time, then release her quickly. The point is to let her know she has to comply, while still keeping her hot.<P>Put her away wanting more. When you think she's just starting to enjoy it, you're done! Always end the session on a positive note.<P>Buy Bill Tarrant's "Best Way to Train Your Gun Dog: The Delmar Smith Method." It may be out of print, but find that book.<P>Finally ....<P>Can we see some pictures, please???<P>Here's some of Jack last week. He's seven months now!<P> [Linked Image] <BR> [Linked Image] <BR> [Linked Image] <P>Let's see some of yours!!<P>Rick<P>

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
B
bg Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hey, Thanks for the reply. We don't yet own a digital camera (or any camera right now) so will have to get a disposable and get the pixs developed, scan,... Thanks for the info. Your Jack looks like quite the character. When and How long did you start to train him. I was told to wait till 6 months on the bird dog stuff, but right away with the general commands, like sit, stay, heel, come and kennel. Shes doing better than I thought for her first lessons. Thanks again. Bill

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<P> Bill my "V" is now 12 yo and retired from hunting, well, a few hours here and there. I guided with him at a hunt club for almost 8 years.<P> He is out of "Dual Champ Askim" from Northern IL. He, "Cayenne", is just a tremendous hunter and you are Lucky to have a "V" pup.<P> Patience is the #1 thing you have to have when training a V. The first year you must only shoot birds over him, forget any kind of advanced training, a vizsla doesnt need, and wont respond to, high pressure training.<P> The best thing you can do is send him to a good pro-trainer that is experienced with vizsla's. Enough birds and enough praise and help will make her a great hunter. Vizsla's are just big babies their whole lives. This is a wonderful trait but can make some individuals a bit slow to mature and you might have to add another 1/2 year, or year, to finish them, as I said "patience".<P> My Cayenne is in the Coffeeshop "kennel" under my name. Good luck with your pup.........Rick

"Like with any House of Prostitution we ought to charge admission at the United Nations building"

"Even better, we should bulldoze it down and put a public shooting range in its place." "We'd be a safer country for it".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Bill:<P>You might take a good look at 10point's response, as his experience is specific to Vizslas, and mine is more general. I've trained GSP's and even thought they are versatiles like the V's, from what Rick says the two breeds have quite a different temperament predisposition.<P>My Springer Jack is quite a bright dog who really loves to please. I started with Here, Hup (sit), Fetch (Mark, Fetch, Leave It), and No at about 13 weeks. I'm leaving Heel 'til he's much older. <P>At about 5 1/2 months he started seeing birds. First cold, dead pigeons, then warm deads, then double-clipped wings (here's a big tip: don't cut the feathers, they stay sharp and can hurt a young dog. Pluck the pinfeathers right out), then single-clipped, then both partial clipped (so they fly away low), and finally flyers.<P>From early on I banged things around when I fed him. First a few pots and pans from the back door, then closer and closer to his pen, then a 22. short from the inside the house, then out the back door, then closer and closer to his pen, then right there in the pen with him as he ate. Here's a tip ... watch the tail. If it ain't a' waggin, get down there and reassure with your voice and with a few headrubs, etc. The dog needs to associate loud noise with positive things.<P>Jack handles a 16-gauge now without a problem.<P>Lately we've been working on the whistle for Hup (one blast), Here (series of double blasts), and Turn (toot toot).<P>It's grteat to see a good gundog come along. Make it fun for both of you and you're a big step in the right direction! <P>I could go on, but ...<P>Rick <P>

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

B
bg Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the info. I appreciate all the information I can get. Sorry so long for a reply, I've been building my daughters tree house and my wife springs another Viszla pup on me, a boy this time. So I guess I'm in the V business in a couple of years. I'm thinking about raising my own quail, just about 2 dozen or so to train with then let go on my dad's place. I found one book at the library, "Raising Game Birds", by Dan W. Scheid. I'm not looking to make money, just birds to train with then let go. Anyone have any experience. I figure I have twice the work ahead of me know. I'll try to attach a pix of the little lady. How do you attach a pix anyway on this site? Thanks Bill

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Congrats BG !! I'm sure she'll be a terrific hunting companion !<P>You might look at Sherry Ebert's video.. its very good and low pressure methods IMHO.<P>Also, if you have a pro near you that wouldn't mind you helping and learninig.. that's the ULTIMATE way to learn about training methods etc...<P>Best advice I ever received was from Bill Gibbons... he said "when your workin that dog on a check cord.. or just trainin' ... zip you lip."<P>Hope you and your new pup have a great future !<P>Here's a couple pics of some of mine...<P> [Linked Image] <P>FC/AFC Rusty's Blue Earth Rexx (past in January)<P>Lots of others... just dont' have pics of all of them ;-) their all by Rexx btw..<P>Good Luck with yours !!<P>--Steve<BR><p>[This message has been edited by WayCool (edited February 21, 2001).]

--Steve
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
[Linked Image] <BR>WayCool's Shoin Me The Money (2 years green broke, this is his first broke trial season)<BR>

--Steve
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
[Linked Image] <P>WayCool's Cold Beer N Brie (will be running in the NGSPA Futurity in 2 weeks)<P>

--Steve
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome pictures, WayCool!!<P>I used to run shorthairs. Loved my Sam! Had to put him down about five years ago. Still miss him-he was my first "my own" dog, and he knew I was his master. He was out of the Moesgaard's line. Got him from the late John Merrell. Helluva dog, that Sammy-boy!<P>Rick Bin

IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I hear ya Rick... ! Knew John pretty well.. terrific trainer and person. Suprises me some he had any Moesgaard dogs ;-) used to cuss em quite a bit(mine included).. he really liked them tough Greif bred dogs.. I sure do miss John's stories :-(<P>Well.. I'll tell you a funny story... about John,<P>When Rexx was just young dog(maybe 2 or 3) I ran him in an All Age stake at Tombstone, AZ .. anyway he got away from me during the running and ended up over where they were running the gun dog stake... John happened to be riding in the gallery and they found Rexx on point.. so John went over and put a lead on him and brought him back to camp...<P>John was cussin him when he brought him over to me... he said.. "Lithgow... are you left handed or somethin ?" I replied.. why as a matter of fact I am... he said "gosh darned no wonder.. I brought this dog in and the whole darn time he kept wanting to go over to the WRONG side of my horse" .. "now I know why !" "I kept jerkin him over to the side I had a hold of.. but he just kept going back over to the other side..."<P>We both gotta good laugh out of it....<P>Good Ole John.... sorry bout the long post..<P>--Steve

--Steve
B
bg Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the info. Here in the TX hill country we're in a decline on our quail. Thats why I'm thinking about raising a few for training. We have them at my dads place but to few and far between to hunt. The little girl is right handed (pawed) and the little boy is starting to point with is left (still to young I guess -8 weeks). the girl, Rovas (Hungarian for "foxy" or "sneaky") is coming along real fast as far as the basics. Wanted to get her on the basics so my wife will take her for walks and get her out more. She still gets distracted by overhead bird, and chases the duck when I let her, but she's young. Thanks anyway and I'll look for the video. Bill

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I'm a weimaraner man myself but due to the prejudices in the field trial world, we lump you viszla guys in as family. Here are some tips 1. NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE PUT AN ELECTRIC COLLAR ON THAT DOG! 2. Take the dog every where you can, they love to be with you and this will have a positive reflection in the field. 3. Stay away from to much pigeon training, drop a buck or two on a quail now and then. When the quail dies cut off one wing tie it to a 10 ft. pole on 5 ft. of string and let the pup chase it in circles, every turn or so let the pup catch it then praise her. This will get her "birdy". 4. ALWAYS HAVE A GENTLE HAND WITH HER! Viszlas are very delicate and its easy to ruin one with a quick temper (one time is all it takes). get her birdy, get her having fun and the rest is in the bag.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,058
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.