OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Copyright 2022 – Stephen Redgwell

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Dave, Edmund and Ken
---

As always, Dave was the first to speak.

"What an afternoon, yesterday! I didn't realize my supply of 270 ammunition was so low. I was at the bench for hours!"

"Do tell. Were you using that famous 4831 recipe that you gave to Jack O'Connor?" Ken was in a mischievous mood. He knew that his comment would trigger one of Dave’s stories.

"You bet. I'll never forget the day I told him. He was so excited and very grateful. After his first hunt with it, he couldn't stop praising my technical prowess. But it was only because I convinced Bruce Hodgdon to buy up that surplus government powder. He didn't want to! I had to insist.

Ken nodded, "I see..."

"I explained that it was a smart business move. And of course, I showed him that 4831 and the 270 Winchester were a match made in heaven. Jack always held me in awe. It was well deserved, if you ask me. I knew from the start that 4831 and the 270 were destined for greatness!"

Edmund was puzzled. "But I thought one of Bruce Hodgdon's scientist friends convinced him to buy that surplus powder!"

Dave laughed. "Where did you hear that? Listen Edmund, if it wasn't for my friendship with Bruce and his family, you wouldn't have the powders you use today. And the Hodgdon family wouldn't have got rich! But that's a story for another day."

Ken loved Dave's tall tales. "That's right, Dave. Why don't you tell us why he bought all that powder? We’re still using 4831 today, but it isn’t the same as the old surplus stuff." Ken looked at Edmund and said, "Just listen, my friend, and Dave will explain everything."

"My pleasure, guys. You see, Edmund, after World War II, there were literally tons of surplus military propellants around. They would have wasted it if I hadn’t persuaded Bruce Hodgdon to take it off the government's hands! They would have dumped it in the ocean! Governments aren't very smart."

"They were gonna dump it?”

"Yes Edmund, the government was gonna dump it. There were trainloads of 4895, 4831 and BL-C sitting around unused. And Ken, as to the chemical difference between the old, surplus 4831 and its replacement, all I can say is, it’s better! I suggested the changes to what would become the new propellant myself! Smart shooters are still using my improved formulation today."

Ken stifled a laugh. "Really? Is there anything else you can tell us about Jack O'Connor using it?"

"Oh sure. I was visiting him and brought some surplus 4831 from the base. I was employed at the range then, if you recall...I regularly tried all the surplus powders by test firing them in my rifles.”

Ken bit his lip and nodded, saying, “Um, yes, I remember you saying that...”

Dave continued. “I had already turned Jack on to Winchester rifles. Then I gave him some 130 grain Partitions that I had John Nosler make according to my specifications. The rest is history! I really was Jack's mentor. And John Nosler’s too, come to think of it."

Ken could barely contain himself. "So you see, Edmund, all Dave had to do was explain to Jack the value of 4831. It was kismet! The world owes Dave a huge debt of gratitude for introducing Jack O’Connor to the 270 cartridge, the Winchester Model 70 and surplus 4831 powder!”

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.