Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane
The ole Echo gave up the ghost two weeks ago. Enter Mr. Stihl.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My Echo schit the bed too. I just got a Milwaukee fuel battery deal. Mostly I just need to clean underbrush so it should be fine.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Originally Posted by roundoak

Which works best? I’ve got a machete and it’s great but doesn’t cut the stubble close to ground level like a scythe would - never used one tho.

Specialized application. Thin blade scythe grass and thin weeds. Wide blade scythe for thick weeds and briars (no wood brush). Brush hook for wood brush, small tree limbs and trees.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MikeL2

Which works best? I’ve got a machete and it’s great but doesn’t cut the stubble close to ground level like a scythe would - never used one tho.
That shorter blade scythe in the middle is a brush scythe, will work better for tall weeds and brushy trails. I have one stashed away, but my Stihl brush cutter is much easier to use! I guess main advantage over power tools is no gas to carry, but you'll need a sharpening stone in your pocket.

Yep, got that covered. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
The ole Echo gave up the ghost two weeks ago. Enter Mr. Stihl.

Smart move, mister. grin

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Usually a woods pal, made in Boyertown Pa. A jonsered chainsaw and an axe.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
Brush hog behind a Ford 2000, chainsaw and machete.

To be honest - it's mostly clearing the fire lanes - in forest trails either stay clear from repeated use or if new ones are being "created" - path of least resistance. I have no fetish about a 100% straight line so bushwhacking isn't high on the list. Go with the flow of natural openings and trim/remove as little as possible.
A lot of the terrain I hunt Whitetails in you can't get a tractor and mower on it, therefore labor intensive. Some of that terrain is so thick and brushy that deer will take the path of least resistance thru it and will use logging trails or farm machinery roads whenever they can. I have also, found that by setting up a tree stand on the perimeter, then cut out paths, it funnels deer to places where I can get a shot with a bow or gun.

Last edited by roundoak; 08/12/22.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teal
Brush hog behind a Ford 2000, chainsaw and machete.

To be honest - it's mostly clearing the fire lanes - in forest trails either stay clear from repeated use or if new ones are being "created" - path of least resistance. I have no fetish about a 100% straight line so bushwhacking isn't high on the list. Go with the flow of natural openings and trim/remove as little as possible.
A lot of the terrain I hunt Whitetails in you can't get a tractor and mower on it, therefore labor intensive.

True - the tractor is for the fire lanes that divide up the property - all else like to various areas or food plots or stands is done with machete mostly.

Me

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm using one of the 58cc brushcutters from amazon and a round chainsaw blade.

I like to stay back just a bit from the falling bugs as I cut the brush.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took a chain saw to dad's old stand area and the deer skirted it into the thicker areas. I had the same conversation with a guy at work who spent a lot of time cutting shooting lanes. After a day of watching the deer go around those, he got his buck by setting up in the thicker stuff behind them. I've always been a proponent of just getting up higher in a tree stand and looking over the underbrush. The deer move through that kind of cover more slowly and naturally. In pressured woods, security is job one for a mature buck and if they make it past opening morning, they are in the thicker stuff where I've found them.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
in the past i use and owned all those tools but now days to knock grass and brush down i use a J8 bombardier takes about 1 hour but i still gotta clean the tracks and that takes 2 hours.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Windfall
I took a chain saw to dad's old stand area and the deer skirted it into the thicker areas. I had the same conversation with a guy at work who spent a lot of time cutting shooting lanes. After a day of watching the deer go around those, he got his buck by setting up in the thicker stuff behind them. I've always been a proponent of just getting up higher in a tree stand and looking over the underbrush. The deer move through that kind of cover more slowly and naturally. In pressured woods, security is job one for a mature buck and if they make it past opening morning, they are in the thicker stuff where I've found them.

Agreed - given the choice or opportunity - I'll go higher to gain perspective rather than clear brush.

Me

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Specialized application. Thin blade scythe grass and thin weeds. Wide blade scythe for thick weeds and briars (no wood brush). Brush hook for wood brush, small tree limbs and trees.

Thanks for the advice! I just ordered an old Collins Brush Axe on EBay. Still looking for a good mid sized sickle that I can pack into the property

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I appreciate the suggestion to minimize cutting - my project is primarily to open up better (less noisy) trail access to a stand and hopefully a better route to drag back to a road or better trail

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Used to use the brush hog about middle summer (season starts Oct 1st) but to many stumps. Now I use the mini excavator. If I can't push the stump out, I'll dig it out.

I'll get trails down to dirt, and then spread clover on it. It's real thick after we had it logged and somehow the trails lead to and past various stands and blinds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I appreciate the suggestion to minimize cutting - my project is primarily to open up better (less noisy) trail access to a stand and hopefully a better route to drag back to a road or better trail

I get that. I'm the type to be in the stand a good 45 mins before you can see. Plenty of time for them to forget the noise they heard.

Me

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
What about one of these? You can cut a lot of grass and thick weeds if sharp

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco

Never seen one of those! I’ll look it up. Looks like just the ticket.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by hanco

Never seen one of those! I’ll look it up. Looks like just the ticket.

Used one all summer in 1969, no weed eaters then, called them yo-yo’s. Grass whip is what they are calling it. Tractor supply

Last edited by hanco; 08/12/22.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have one just like it. I would much rather use the Stihl.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by jc189
I have one just like it. I would much rather use the Stihl.

Me too!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,518
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.