Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
This pic is prior to cutting the stock to add the forend tip. The black is just paint so my son could visualize the overall length and look of the forearm with the barrel.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow that is some excellent work, I would've ph ucked it all up with me taking the old barrel off LOL. You sir have some true talent!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Great thread to follow along and a great dad/son project too. Wish I had those skills and some patience.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
African Blackwood is an excellent choice. And doing a grip cap treatment in the same species would be an elegant touch, given the species. I'm in the middle of doing a Richards Microfit for a Mark X, and I had to cut off the Bubinga forend and grip cap (sometimes referred to as African Rosewood except for the fact that it is not a Rosewood). I REALLY didn't like the look. Currently fitting a nice piece of Macassar Ebony for the tip and grip cap.

The Macassar is probably a little more stark in contrast, but the stock I'm using warrants it. This link is a pic of the tip, the Macassar, and the Bubinga I cut off.

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KsY5as8b-Xbx4r_9MXXmg0e-SLMAaQTX/view?usp=sharing[/img]

Last edited by Sniggly; 08/29/22.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sniggly
African Blackwood is an excellent choice. And doing a grip cap treatment in the same species would be an elegant touch, given the species. I'm in the middle of doing a Richards Microfit for a Mark X, and I had to cut off the Bubinga forend and grip cap (sometimes referred to as African Rosewood except for the fact that it is not a Rosewood). I REALLY didn't like the look. Currently fitting a nice piece of Macassar Ebony for the tip and grip cap.

The Macassar is probably a little more stark in contrast, but the stock I'm using warrants it. This link is a pic of the tip, the Macassar, and the Bubinga I cut off.

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KsY5as8b-Xbx4r_9MXXmg0e-SLMAaQTX/view?usp=sharing[/img]

All that and you left it at a 45?

IC B2

Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by z1r

I started hunting with my dad when I was a kid. At the time his rifle was a sporterized 1917 Enfield. He had done most of the work himself, minus having the sight ears ground away and some chrome plating done. He told me about ordering a new stock and sanding it to finish. I remember the gun well. The stock, while not bad looking, did look like a well used bar of soap. He had added a forend tip at 45* and a grip cap and white line spacers all around.

Fast forward to the weekend....I took the stock to his shop to use his bandsaw to cut the tip off the grip (his bandsaw is is really nice and big, mine needs a new blade and I just didn't want to mess with it for this). I'm sitting with Dad and my Brother in the shop, I'm carving carefully on the stock and we are talking about what I'm doing about the forend and grip cap. Dad keeps telling me about the sled he has for his saw and how we can cut a 'perfect' 45 for the forend and even cut one to match on the grip. I politely decline, and he goes on to say he has some thin maple for spacers and even some plastic sheets he had for knife handles in red white and blue that might 'look good' and make it look 'slick and fancy'.

I love my Dad, even when he's wrong.

Sadly the 'Old Enfield' got stolen years ago.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by z1r

I don't want to completely hijack this fine thread that MrFixIt has going on his build, but frankly, I never once thought of cutting it square. Not because I deemed the angled cut as esthetically superior, but...I just didn't think about it. Didn't cross my mind. Maybe PM me?

Last edited by Sniggly; 08/30/22.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Mrfixit
Originally Posted by z1r

I started hunting with my dad when I was a kid. At the time his rifle was a sporterized 1917 Enfield. He had done most of the work himself, minus having the sight ears ground away and some chrome plating done. He told me about ordering a new stock and sanding it to finish. I remember the gun well. The stock, while not bad looking, did look like a well used bar of soap. He had added a forend tip at 45* and a grip cap and white line spacers all around.

Fast forward to the weekend....I took the stock to his shop to use his bandsaw to cut the tip off the grip (his bandsaw is is really nice and big, mine needs a new blade and I just didn't want to mess with it for this). I'm sitting with Dad and my Brother in the shop, I'm carving carefully on the stock and we are talking about what I'm doing about the forend and grip cap. Dad keeps telling me about the sled he has for his saw and how we can cut a 'perfect' 45 for the forend and even cut one to match on the grip. I politely decline, and he goes on to say he has some thin maple for spacers and even some plastic sheets he had for knife handles in red white and blue that might 'look good' and make it look 'slick and fancy'.

I love my Dad, even when he's wrong.

Sadly the 'Old Enfield' got stolen years ago.

The Bubinga treatments were aggravating, but the maple spacers made it worse. Those had to go as well.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think that what you believe you understand is indeed correct.
As far as your questions, honestly I can't answer them but I will comment on them and remember this is from my perspective and there are many other perspectives.

This is a Mauser and will be a hunting rifle, not a target rifle. It is my personal belief that a true 1.5 m.o.a rifle is all that is needed in a hunting rifle. I have taught my children to hunt the same way I hunt, by first enjoying the experience even if no game is taken, and second to have respect for the game and realistic expectations of yourself and your equipment. To that end I don't believe I am capable of ethically taking game past 3-400 yards, although I can shoot farther and hit the target quite often. At 400 yards a true 1.5 m.o.a. rifle will hit within 6 inches of where I point it, and that's good enough for hunting. It won't win any target competitions that I know of though. I have tried to instill in my children the same level of responsibility. If at some point my son decides he needs to be able to take longer shots on game, I will advise him to get a different rifle. Actually I'll advise him to practice stalking, camouflage and patience first and after that if he still thinks he needs to make longer shots to possibly get another rifle to do it with.

The truing of the action that you speak of are, in my opinion, much more appropriate to a target rifle where those modifications can make the differences in tenth's of inches needed. And in this case, I don't have the capability to make them. I also have to keep in mind that this is a sporterized military action. It was never made to the tolerances necessary to make the modifications you ask about worthwhile.

One thing you asked about I will do to an extent, but from the point of view of reliability. The fixture I made in the lathe to face the receiver had another function. I bored it out on center while in the lathe and then turned a concentric shaft to fit perfectly in it. The end of the shaft I have threaded to accept a screw. With that fixture I can screw it into the receiver and use the brass shaft to face the boltface while the bolt is locked to the action. This will (I hope) help make feeding smooth and reliable. I can also use the fixture with a flat disk attached to the shaft to face the inner "C" face I think it is called where the barrel actually tightens against. This will keep the breech of the barrel flat and concentric to the receiver, threads, bolt face.

There are several little things like this I'm doing because I can and they don't take much effort. I'm not going for blueprinted at all.

Someday I think I would like to build a rifle that I do the 'full meal deal' on, but if I do it won't be on a Mauser.

Love your project and your understanding the limitations of the Mauser. Unless you have your receiver recarburized, don't lap or cut your lug abbutments.

Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The Bubinga treatments were aggravating, but the maple spacers made it worse. Those had to go as well.

Sniggly, please don't take my comments as criticism for your rifle. If they came across that way I sincerely apologize. The thought I was trying to convey was that we all have opinions of what looks good or right, and we are all correct.

IC B3

Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A question for the group....

Should I reinforce the wrist? Now is the time to do it if I'm going to do it. I was thinking of drilling a hole and using either a short piece of all thread or a carbon arrow shaft and epoxy. Is it worth it, considering it's really not much trouble to do. Or is it worrying about something that isn't a concern?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Sniggly, please don't take my comments as criticism for your rifle. If they came across that way I sincerely apologize. The thought I was trying to convey was that we all have opinions of what looks good or right, and we are all correct.

Oh no. No harm no foul here. Didn’t take it that way at all.

Man I gotta tell ya, I’m just glad to see this forum being used this way. I’m participating here on your thread because the spirit of this thread is what I think of as ‘best idea - perfect implementation’.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Should I reinforce the wrist? Now is the time to do it if I'm going to do it. I was thinking of drilling a hole and using either a short piece of all thread or a carbon arrow shaft and epoxy. Is it worth it, considering it's really not much trouble to do. Or is it worrying about something that isn't a concern?
Go for it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Why?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Craigster

Why?

Good question.....my answer is 'uh, just in case'? Honestly while researching for this build, looking at photos and videos I came across the Midway USA video on Youtube. He pointed out that the wrist is the weakest point, and showed how to reinforce it. I guess it seems like an insurance policy to me. Having said that, I don't know of any rifles that have broken like that in my experience.

I suppose I'm asking if others have had broken stocks at the wrist or grip area, is it more common than my obviously limited experience would lead me to believe. In that same vein, has anyone had this done on a custom rifle you built or had built? What if any is the down side?

Sometimes I worry too much, even obsessing about things with very little realistic possibilities. From a personal standpoint I am trying to make this rifle somewhat of an heirloom type gift for my son. I would love to have him pass it down to his son or grandson and tell them that his father made it. To that end I would hope no major repairs are needed between now and then, and it is passed down in well used but original configuration.

Ok I just read what I wrote and realized I have talked myself into doing the reinforcement. Comments and thoughts are still welcome.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have never broken a rifle at the wrist but have repaired a dozen or so in 45 years of gunsmithing. All were in serious wreck involving horses, ATVs, or a bad fall, except for one. The one had a stock of Bastogne Walnut which was weak in the wrist due to being cross grained and could have benefitted from some preventative reinforcement. GD

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It would take a pretty serious "wreck" to break a stock at the wrist.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Update, got some stuff done, some of it twice!

I think I had already shown the addition of the Blackwood forend tip. Well....I got it shaped and found it had a pretty big check in it, a void. It showed and I had to decide to try to fill it with epoxy and try to match or cut it off and try again. I cut it off. and added a new tip.

I used a single dowel and West Systems epoxy 105/206 slow hardener with some of the dark sanding dust.

I had also decided to reinforce the wrist. Is it needed, I dont know. Will it help? Maybe. It didn't take much time or effort so I did it. Since I was adding a grip cap, I drilled from the grip cap through the wrist, stopping before I drilled into the through hole for the rear action screw. I used a 5/16 piece of all thread, and If I remember correctly also a 5/16" drill. It was night tight, but it just barely fit. I poured some of the West Systems epoxy in filling the hole maybe 1/4 of the way, then dipped the all thread in epoxy to coat it well. and pushed it in.

Just for facts, I fitted the forend tip and dowel dry, then drilled the wrist, then epoxied the forend tip and clamped it and then turned the stock upside down to epoxy the all thread in the wrist.

Mrfixit Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
My plan to use the steel grip cap wouldn't work, the cap was too large. Here you can see how much.

I made a rough shape out of thin plywood to keep from rounding the end off while shaping the grip. You can see it is smaller and differetnly shaped from the steel cap.

I don't know why it came out that way, probably my own fault. I started shaping the grip to what I wanted and what looked 'right' to me as I went. I likely could have made it fit.....but it might not have looked 'right' if I did. Anyway I cut a piece of Blackwood and shaped it to match my rough pattern. While I had the all thread in the wrist being epoxied it, I added the grip cap. Only way I could figure out to clamp it to the stock was using blue painters tape. I didn't take a pic of that masterpiece of work in progress, so just picture blue masking tape crudely wrapped around the grip...there you go.

After the epoxy set up I did some shaping. I still have a bit more to go, its still a bit to thick to me. With steel cap for comparison:

That's where it sets right now. A couple of times I went to work on it again and realized I was frustrated and decided to just wait. Biggest issue I'm having right now is the bottom metal. I want a hinged bottom. I was planning on the old Obendorf style lever under the bottom plate. Then I decided to buy a hinged unit already done from Sarco. I got it and I've decided not to use it. It doesn't fit the inletting of the military metal. In addition, the inletting from Richards was a little generous in the front to back length of the magazine box area. I have some filling to do.

So, I'm trying to get my mind right to make my own hinged bottom piece and lever, and fix the inletting. I am currently waiting on a recoil pad and to figure final length of pull so I can get the sanding done.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Coming along nicely. And yes, Richards' stocks can be challenging, I'm currently working on one for a '36 Mexican.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 46 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,261
Posts18,504,828
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.