Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Stroker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I tried a search but could find no information on the subject of electronic training collars. I see them advertised heavily on the Outdoor Channel but have never used one. My question is how early should you use one on a puppy, or other words, how old should the pup be before he is exposed to this device. I have seen several different types in the sporting goods stores, but none of the boxes have this information posted on the outside.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stroker:<P>I am a long ways from a pro dog trainer, but I can tell you from personal experience and the multiple experiences of others that you should be extremely careful about using electronic collars on young dogs. I know that the newest versions have warning beeps etc. but it is really easy to screw up and create real problems with your puppy. If you are going to use one, you have to understand exactly what that dog is thinking when you hit the button. For instance, you may be yelling "come", and lose your patience and hit the button just as the dog hits bird scent . Opps, you have just taught that dog that that smell has very negative effects.<P>Key to remember IMO is that it is used for correction, not training, in spite of what a lot of people say. I'm sure there are some people who can train with them, but you train with time and patience, not electricity IMO. Shock collars are good for overcoming the dread Labrador disease, that is, when a dog that you know can hear you is suddenly struck deaf about 50 yards out or more and ignores your commands or whistle. You never shock a dog unless he is doing something that you know that he knows is not what he is supposed to do. Not coming in on command, when he knows to do it, is a good example, etc. They are very good tools and very useful in the field, but they need to be used sparingly and remember, they are NEVER used to punish a dog, only to show him the error of his ways.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

W
W
Stroker:<P>I commend you for taking the time to research out electronic training collars instead of just buying one and using it without properly introducing your dog to it. I am not a professional trainer either, but after much research have decided to incorporate one into my training program. <P>There are a number of excellent articles regarding the use of E-collars on Jim and Phyllis Dobbs web site. Both Jim and Phyllis worked at Tri-Tronics for many years before parting ways. They work primarily for themselves, I believe as consultants, and are associated with Dogtra collars. The Dobbs' web site address is: <A HREF="http://www.dobbsdogs.com" TARGET=_blank>www.dobbsdogs.com</A> I think you will find the articles useful.

L
L
There have been drastic changes in the way e-collars are built and used over the years. Currently, an e-collar can be a very useful tool, when used properly.<P>Most collars are not recommended to be used on a dog until it is over 4 months of age, and from a practical sense, I would refrain from using them until the dog is at least 8 to 10 months. All of your training up until then is easily controlled without an e-collar.<P>BTW -- Training to use an e-collar begins with the handler. Make sure you find a couple of good sources for reliable information. The Dobbs were mentioned above, and I would also suggest them. You need to be well versed on the correct way to use the collar. When used incorrectly, or when you are angry, the collar can be a very bad thing. Continue to ask questions, and follow through with your research. E-collars are great tools, but, they deserve respect.

Stroker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the information, I will check out the above listed website. My Chocolate Lab is 18 weeks old and is doing great so far in my opinion. I spend time every day with him which I know is the key element. He will retreive all the bumpers and dummies that I throw for him. I can already see that he is often deaf when he gets out on his own doing what he wants to do. He often completely disregards the whistle and acts like he does not hear me calling for him. Very frustrating, but we will keep working. <P>I have often wondered about the training collars, especially while watching the hunting shows on the outdoor channel. I see all the dogs wearing them and the handlers bragging about how well they work, but you never actually see them using it. I guess the animal activists would be all over it and it would be negative advertisement to show handlers correcting dogs with electricity. I suppose its just one of those things that is done, where everyone knows what is being done but knows not to elaborate on the subject for fear of getting the heat turned on them. <P>Kind of like the many broken gun safety rules I see on all of the shows, mistakes where if I was hunting with my buddies something would be said. But on TV no one sais anything, I think it would be great if for once we would hear one of the these hunters on tv tell their hunting buddies, "hey dude watch your muzzle" or "please make sure your gun is unloaded before you point it at me again"<P>Haha, just a thought.... <BR>Thanks again. <P>Dove season starts in about 42 days, I am very anxious to get him on some real birds.

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
-Ronald Reagan

IC B2

G
G
Electronic collars have their place, pros.and not so pro. have used them for years. I was up on the Colorado river 6 years ago with two trainers and a bunch of dogs and watched one dog get set back for months by a small plane keying his mike,every time he keyed it the dog took a hit while trying to work singles. Pro finally figgered it out and tore collar off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stroker:<P>All good advice above.<P>As far as the TV shows and collars go, I am sure there is some editing, but once a dog is exposed to a shock collar, believe me, he is constantly aware that the hand of God, so to speak, can reach out and get him on the neck, and, just having one on, solves many of the common problems.<P>Again, they are a great tool, but need to be used with discretion and understanding. Many times a loud "no" will work just as well as a shock, particularly with your own dog. He knows that you are not happy and will try to make you happy, since you are his alpha male.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A puppy that is beating the world often turns into a dog that aint got a lick of sense.That's what it looks like but that aint what's happening,usually IMO.<BR>What you are seeing in the pup is the result of good breeding.He is following his instincts and they happen to coincide with your wants.He is a natural.<BR>As a result,he never learns to go against those instincts.He is doing what he wants to do and it happens to be what you want him to do.<BR>When he gets older a whole 'nuther set of instincts are added to him.He appears to have forgot all he ever learned so out comes the shock collar.It's doubtful that that owner is going to teach the dog the right lesson cause it's hard to transmit knowledge you aint got.<BR>The pup that "has it all together" is the one that can benifit most from intensive yard-or obedience- training.He is also the one who is least apt to get it.He is already doing everything you want.Nope,he is doing what he wants.<BR>I have a shock collar out in the barn.I got it from my brother.I aint used it.The best pointer I ever saw would not have made the grade without the use of a shock collar back in the seventies,but the need for the collar was brought on by the trainer-me- neglecting his early yard training.<BR>Nowadays if I have a year old dog that don't do what I want regardless of what he wants,his name collar comes home with me but he dont.And the shock collar stays in the barn.It could be of course that I just aint smart enough to use one.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Stroker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My plan is train him as hard as I can and knock as many dove, teal, ducks and geese as I can this season. He will still be getting the daily 15-30 minute yard training on the basics and I will hope for the best. I dont ever plan on field trials but its nice having a dog do what you want while in the field. Thanks again for the advise.

-Ronald Reagan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (450yukon, 375sunrise, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 22 invisible), 1,734 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,514
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.