Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by winchesterfan
Did you use QR 1" low rings and did you remove the hood over the iron sight. It doesn't appear noticable on the picture. Is that necessary to get a clear view?

On my son's 336SS, the scope is mounted in Talley ring/bases, and the scope hood is removed. As far as being necessary, I am not sure, but I just don't like the sight hoods.

On my straight grip 336SS, I am using Leupold permanent weaver rings on a XS lever rail, and I have the front sight filed down level with the top of the sight base. I have mine scoped with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm.

I am not a open sight shooter and wish Marlin would just make a smooth barrel levergun just for scoping like bolt gun manufacturers have. I would especially like to see this in a XLR.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by retrieverman; 09/30/07.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good looking rifle there retrieverman. Is that straight grip 336SS a standard production gun? Or is the straight grip a special run model? Then only SS 336s w/ straight grips that I've seen were short bbl .35 Rems.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This gun is my special project, and to the best of my knowledge is the only one. I had been wanting a 336SS with a straight grip (which the only one made is the 336SS LTD 35 Rem), and I found a guy with a 336SS LTD that wanted a pistol grip stock on his. We traded trigger plates and stocks, and I have the gun of my dreams.

I added a WWG trigger and XS Lever Rail and topped it with a Zeiss scope, and there is the gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Figured maybe you put it together. Looks nice. I've got that spec run LTD in .35 and like it OK, but for the poor factory checkering. I would probably jump on the chance to get one like it in .30-30, if they offered it, though I'd prefer an 18" barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
They will fit under a Leupold base and low rings, but not a Warne base and Weaver type low rings. That is the lowest setup that I am aware of and is what I use. The Leupolds are rock solid, but just not as low.

That looks like a nice setup DJR. How does it shoot?

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you tried super low Leup DD rings w/ a 20mm objective scope?

D
DJR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by TnBigBore

That looks like a nice setup DJR. How does it shoot?

I am just this very minute putting it in a hard case. Leaving in a couple of hours for a muzzle loader elk hunt then a center fire deer hunt. I'll let you know how it does if I get the chance. I won't tell you how well it was doing at the range, you'd think I'm fibbing. Really.

I'll be gone for three weeks. You guys be good.

DJR

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck on your hunt. I would not be suprised if you told me is grouped inside an inch at 100yds. I know of a couple that will do that.

Biglmbass, I have tried the extra low Leupold rings. If I remember correctly, the fold down sight did fit below it, but not the older rear sights that dont fold down. I have several older guns. Another thing about the Leupold mounts. The base is pretty high to begin with and considerably heavier that the Warne setup. I have tried many mounting systems for the 336/1895/1894 and dont use anything but Warne bases any more. Not a thing wrong with he Leupold. The quaility is excellent. The Warne is just lighter and lower and still rock solid.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Figured maybe you put it together. Looks nice. I've got that spec run LTD in .35 and like it OK, but for the poor factory checkering. I would probably jump on the chance to get one like it in .30-30, if they offered it, though I'd prefer an 18" barrel.

I have a 1983 336T with an 18.5" barrel and love the gun, but it sure doesn't shoot LeverEv ammo as well as my "SS" with a 20" barrel (though the barrel length MAY be unrelated to the accuracy difference). My "T" will shoot 1.5" groups at 100, where as my "SS" will shoot an inch or under (if I do my part).

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Well, the Leupold arrived and I got it mounted on the gun. It looks great and also got a recoil pad installed. Shot about 40 shots last weekend, bringing the total up to 100. Hopefully it is broken in well enough and the 101st shot will kill a deer this weekend. Can't wait to hit the stand with my son Tomorrow evening and all day Sat. and Sunday. He shot it pretty well on the bench, just hoping he can hold it still enough to hit where he is aiming. Youth Deer gun hunt this weekend in Oklahoma. If nothing else, we will have a blast!! Thanks guys for advice

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Well, I am happy to report that shot 101 killed a 78lb Doe about 7:21am yesterday morning. We saw a forked horn buck Saturday morning, but he approached from the only direction in which my son could not get a shot. That was just as well, because we were hoping to get a doe. The rifle performed admirably and the scope as well. I must say I was a little disappointed in the lack of a blood trail. He used Leverevolutions and while they effectively killed her, we did not find any evidence that she was hit. Not a single drop of blood. After a 30 minute search, we found her and there was a little blood under where she laid, about the size of a man's hand. I sure thought he missed her. The doe he shot two years ago with Winchester silver tips bled like a stuck pig. Anyway-thanks for all the advice guys.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Well, I'm struggling to figure out how to post Pics. I also regret I did not get a better picture of the gun and scope.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yeah maybe you wish you'd more prominently displayed the hardware.....................but that's a danged fine pic in my book. Tell the little man a bunch of us said congrats.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 257wthbylover, 1minute, 68 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,125
Posts18,502,439
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.