Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
What is the mariner's license mentioned? Is that a Coast Guard license for vessels above a certain size/rating, or is that required in Alaska to operate any boat with an engine?

A license is required for commercial activity (guiding), just as Paul describes, a six pack is the minimum.

Key word is 'navigable waters', on inland lakes and rivers no coast guard licensing is required.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by WMR
That seems like a reasonable sentence in this type of case. Somebody could have got killed, but nobody did. The court says she was in the the wrong, fines her 10k, yanks her license and puts her on probation. Saves the expense of a trial; the outcome of which is never certain. Being on probation gives her incentive to stay out of trouble going forward. I’d call that justice.

Suspect she can afford it and its just a slap on the wrist, maybe it will deter her from acting out, but its doubtful. If the flight operator received no fine / penalty then likely he will continue, if a actual covenant had any meaning then he would at least get scolded... maybe he has?

What will she do next time? Stay tuned....!

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
A trial would have brought out the details, like what was going on before video started rolling, any past history between the pilot and captain, etc.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Judge should have included a year of weekly Anger Management classes, would've sent her the msg, at least a little bit...... that is one mean old Liberal byatch

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JeffA
Key word is 'navigable waters', on inland lakes and rivers no coast guard licensing is required.
The Kenai River guides still need a CG license to take people fishing on the river. There is a Western Rivers endorsement for this. I'm not sure if a CG license is required for non-power vessels (drift boats), but it's definitely required for power boats.

The Coast Guard requires a special endorsement for the Great Lakes, as well. My Near Coastal license is no good for the Great Lakes. I would need a certain number of documented days (and maybe another exam?) on the Great Lakes to earn the endorsement.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NAVIGABLE WATERS OF THE UNITED STATES BY DEFINITION UNDER 33 CFR 2.36(A)(1) OR (2):
These waters include the territorial seas of the United States and all internal waters of the United States that are subject to tidal influence......

.......and/or are presently used, or have been used in the past, or may be susceptible for use to transport interstate or foreign commerce.

When guiding in the Tikchik Lakes region of Southwest Alaska, all guides that worked the Nushagak River were required to have a current license (6-Pack).

We all took a two day course in Anchorage and were issued our license but were told it wasn't necessary for those strictly working inland waters..

As the description states.

Everything I read other than the description for 'navigable waters' is contrary to what we were told.

https://www.alaskawatersconsulting.net/

It'd be interesting for me to hear others opinions on the matter.

It's confusing at best.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JeffA
NAVIGABLE WATERS OF THE UNITED STATES BY DEFINITION UNDER 33 CFR 2.36(A)(1) OR (2):
These waters include the territorial seas of the United States and all internal waters of the United States that are subject to tidal influence......

.......and/or are presently used, or have been used in the past, or may be susceptible for use to transport interstate or foreign commerce.

When guiding in the Tikchik Lakes region of Southwest Alaska, all guides that worked the Nushagak River were required to have a current license (6-Pack).

We all took a two day course in Anchorage and were issued our license but were told it wasn't necessary for those strictly working inland waters..

As the description states.

Everything I read other than the description for 'navigable waters' is contrary to what we were told.

https://www.alaskawatersconsulting.net/

It'd be interesting for me to hear others opinions on the matter.

It's confusing at best.

This was a big deal in 1980 when the ANILCA act was established. The state rivers were researched to determine if they were navigated at some point by the natives.

Mostly a bunch of horse schit, but the natives decided the ground under the rivers had no value and did not claim it, worked out good for us white boys as it allowed access to mean high water. I think they could claim X amount of acres and saw no value in the underlaying land, might I see greed was the driver.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my bet is its not over tell she is handcuffed and put in jail .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Losing her USCG license might be the biggest blow to her out of all of this.

The Danny J is not operated under a 'six-pack' license. She must take a couple dozen passengers or more.

Last edited by AKislander; 01/25/24.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AKislander

The Danny J is not operated under a 'six-pack' license. She must take a couple dozen passengers or more.
Right.
That’s what I’m saying if she was part of running the water taxi. Not in the incident, but that may have been the license she had. I don’t know.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by AKislander

Right.
That’s what I’m saying if she was part of running the water taxi. Not in the incident, but that may have been the license she had. I don’t know.

She is an owner of the water taxi company and the vessel Danny J. I know she used to run the ferry, but don't know if she had scaled back (she's about 70 yo). Given the size of the vessel, I suspect she has a 50 or 100 ton Master's license.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,818
Posts18,477,708
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.