Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'm developing a yen for a a Sauer 202 Classic. I've found some good recent comments through a search here. What're the pluses and minuses? I understand they tend to be a little heavy, but 7.5 pounds doesn't seem to be too much. Replacement barrels are pretty expensive. I've read somewhere that "the trigger is good, but I couldn't get used to it," or something like that. Any idea what that means?

I like the looks, and the bolt smoothness is legendary:
[Linked Image]

What do you think?

Jaywalker

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in 270. It shoots itty bitty groups around .5 moa with hornady factory stuff. It is smooth as silk and has a superb easily adjustable trigger. These are great guns. I want a barrel in 9.3 x 62 for mine.

Britt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is the Sauer 200, 202 related to the SigArms SHR-970. There is a resemblence.

GeoW

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If i was left handed I would own a very lightly used one in 7 Rem Mag that has absolutely exceptional wood, in fact i think the wood may very well be aftermarket. they want 1300 IIRC

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Sauer now have a new distributor in Palm Beach, but they sell only to dealers.

I'd like to hold one before I plunk down the change, though.

Jaywalker

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Sauer M200 which preceeded the 202. I bought it on a whim and it has become my favorite rifle.On the plus side it shoots consistent sub MOA groups no matter what I feed it .All I have to do is adjust the scope for point of impact and I am good to go.I also like the placement of the safety and the fact that it is virtually silent in its operation. The trigger on my rifle is not user adjustable however,it breaks clean at about 3pounds. On the minus side as you stated the optional barrels are very pricy and if you need parts Sig Arms can be a little difficult to deal with. I know this because I had to buy the takedown tool since I bought mine used and it did not come with it and the lady who took the order gave me the run around since I was not a dealer. I say if you like it and the price is right then go for it!

Last edited by Sauer200; 10/24/07.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Sauer 202 Outback in 270 win and absolutely love it. The bolt is the smoothest that I have ever felt, and the trigger is easily adjustable and breaks perfect for my taste.

I understand wanting to handle one before you buy, but I am confident you won't be disappointed. I bought mine sight unseen at the encouragement of a friend, and he even offered to buy it from me if I didn't like it.

Out of curiosity, what is the 202 Classic going to run you?

Last edited by retrieverman; 10/24/07.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Mine is a 7mm Rem Mag Deluxe model. Nothing but good things to say about it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn`t think to trade my M200 in `06. You won`t be disapointed if you decide to grab one

[Linked Image]

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
GeoW -
The Sigarms SHR970 is made to SIG specs by Sauer.
It used a round machined from bar stock, like the Remington 700, rather than from a forged billet like the Sauer 202, to save costs. The Tikka T3 uses the same concept of one action length but different bolts and magazines for everything from 7mm-08 to .300 Win Mag.

Later models were offered with an aluminum receiver, because it is just a sleeve for the detachable barrel. The bolt is stainless steel and locks into the barrel. The barrel is stainless, chrome lined, and all metal is coated with Iaflon (Teflon). The barrel lock is different from the Sauer 202.

The SHR970 was probably hurting Sauer 202 sales in the US.
Sigarms dropped importation. Prices in Europe now are about 1300 Euros. There is military model, the STR970.

Sigarms was sold to Sans Swiss and split up.
Two weeks ago, Sauer bought Sigarms and changed the name, so we should see more Sauer rifles in the USA, and maybe the SHR970 again.

And yes, the 970 shoots just like the 202.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one of the Colt-Sauer rifles from the early 70's in 300 Winnie, and really loved the gun. Was by far the slickest action I have ever owned period, and I would love to have another. i let it go because I have no use at all for a 300 winnie, but I would love to find another in a caliber more useful to me.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the S90, but if you like the 202, Sauer has a rifle called the Team Sauer that is less expensive that looks like a good deal. I've been on their website a lot lately.

http://www.sauer-waffen.de/index.php?id=60&lang=en

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
I have one in 270. It shoots itty bitty groups around .5 moa with hornady factory stuff. It is smooth as silk and has a superb easily adjustable trigger. These are great guns. I want a barrel in 9.3 x 62 for mine.
Britt

Thats what I wanted too. The dealer was not interested in looking for a 9.3 barrel and I went off on the Kimber tangent.

So many nice guns. So little time.

This topic made me regret, somewhat, just buying a Mannlicher. Now that I think about it the 202 is??

So many nice guns. So little time.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
rob p, thanks for the hint - "Team Sauer" sounded like a marketing link, so I hadn't gone there until you mentioned it.

Okay, I have some questions regarding the weight. The marketing literature says "7.7 pounds" for the standard calibers, but I've read one guy who weighed the rifle, sling, scope, and magazine at 8.62 pounds - a difference that might be in the scope, I guess. Who here has actually weighed their 200/202? Also, does the synthetic stock weigh less, or is the overall reduction in the lighter rifles a reflection of the aluminum alloy action on that model?

Jaywalker

Last edited by Jaywalker; 10/25/07. Reason: Did a better conversion of kg to pounds
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't have a really good scale, but on my bathroom scale, my Sauer 202 "lightweight" weighs 7 1/2 lbs. That is with a sling, Leupold PWR rings, and a Swarovski A series 3-9x36mm scope.

The reduced weight in the "lightweight" Sauers in going to be a combination of the aluminum receiver, synthetic stock, and fluted barrel.

What kind of prices are you looking at on Sauers?

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
retrieverman, thanks for the weighing. Regarding price, I'm seeing them on the non-24H auctions at $2400 - $3000 new, and half to two-thirds of that when used. I want the open sights in a standard caliber (270 Win, for instance), and I haven't seen that yet cheap enough to bite. It's hard to tell, though, since there are so many "Reserved" prices (I don't bother looking at them).

I wonder if you'd comment on the alloy frame, if you would, please?

Jaywalker

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You can get a used 99% 202 for a little over $1,000, especially in synthetic / matte trim.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Lee24
You can get a used 99% 202 for a little over $1,000, especially in synthetic / matte trim.

Show me where, and I'll buy another one.

I paid $1450 shipped for my used 202 "lightweight" 270 and $1550 shipped for my NIB 202 "lightweight" 308 with a Leupold VXII 3-9 scope and extra 5 round magazine.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I haven't seen any that low, either, but they might be available for less than the asking prices we see posted as a final offer.

I discovered another couple of "features:" because of the smallish ejection port, the action is very stiff, which lends itself to the accuracy we see reported. OTOH, the small ejection port doesn't allow top-feeding of cartridges. Apparently, we need the single-column (not "staggered") magazine for that.

Also, for those of you who are looking for a 9.3x62 barrel, there's one on gunsamerica now - a guy has a 202 for sale with 25-06 and 9.3x62 barrels, but he'll sell either barrel separately.

I could still use some comments on the alloy receiver...

Jaywalker

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jaywalker

I could still use some comments on the alloy receiver...

I pm'd you last night. What do you want to know about the alloy receiver?

I like mine and especially like the Weaver mounts made on them. I figured as light as the gun is that it would kick pretty bad in a 270, but it is not bad at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,177 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,547
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.