-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a belt sander with the intention on reshaping the factory stock. Played around with some other stuff getting familiar with it, then decide that it was going to be a much more detailed process than I thought. So, I just bought a stock from Stocky's and let the idea go.

HR IC

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hate to say it, Stick is right about this action. Played around with 4 different rifles in both 223 and 6.5 Grendel. Mags suck, stocks suck, trigger almost OK, Light enough, shoot pretty good. You can spend a bunch of bucks on one and end up pretty much where you started. I will say there are people laying wait in the shadows to buy one from you.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If someone wants to trade a walnut factory stock for an unused carbon fiber Stocky’s hit me up in a PM. I like the look of that walnut stock and would be happy to put it on my back-up NIB Mini-Grendel.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by weagle
I've posted mine in previous threads. I specifically wanted a compact durable 6.5 grendel that would be at home in a tree stand, or still hunting and ride easily in my motorcycle scabbard. I started with the lighter barrel version in a youth stock. Cut the barrel to 16 1/4" and shortened the fore end. Reshaped the stock with a Work Sharp belt sander. Installed the OG bottom metal, talleys and a Redfield 2-7 and rattle canned some camo. 6lbs 5oz.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I remember seeing this one here before. That sweet paint job is eye catching.

When reshaping the stock, did you need to fill anything in, like voids in the barrel channel? If so, what did you use? JB plastic weld, maybe?
I cut the end off and removed about 4 inches then reattached the end with a couple of pins and some JB Weld. Then reshaped it with the belt sander.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I converted one of my Howa Mini's to 375 SOCOM. I opened up the 5.56 bolt face, recut the extractor, machined a barrel and made a magazine from sheet stock.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
I converted one of my Howa Mini's to 375 SOCOM. I opened up the 5.56 bolt face, recut the extractor, machined a barrel and made a magazine from sheet stock.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Why?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I put an MDT lss on a mini grendel because I wanted andadjustable stock for the kids. It's a bit heavier than I was hoping but shoots well and the mag release is vastly superior to the factory plastic. I should have put it on the scale before I scoped it for reference.

The mdt lss chassis usually goes on sale for about half price for black Friday. That makes it a reasonable option. I think I paid about $240 for this one last year. I could have saved a few ounces going with a different magpul stock but I had a few ACS-Ls on hand so that's what I used. I'd like to chop the barrel a few inches but it's shooting well enough I don't want to chance messing it up.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 10/09/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to run the mags, DIP makes a better release that appears to eliminate the dropped ones. They also make an aluminum guard assembly. I fretted over these for a bit, but will probably just buy another unit from Wayne York if they’re available. The release is $25 and uses the factory spring.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Why?

.375S is a pretty great round... I have 3 of them. R 700 @ 21"... ARs 18" and 10" SBR

Simple math is this... 358 Winchester performance in an AR-15 or S/A.

Tony designed/developed the round.

Sierra #2900s are the best bullet... but they can be hard to find. Annual run and sell out quickly.

Last edited by CashisKing; 10/09/22. Reason: Dang autocorrect typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If you want to run the mags, DIP makes a better release that appears to eliminate the dropped ones. They also make an aluminum guard assembly. I fretted over these for a bit, but will probably just buy another unit from Wayne York if they’re available. The release is $25 and uses the factory spring.
This rifle came with the complete DIP bottom metal and release. I'll likely be calling Wayne York and ordering his bottom metal to replace the DIP, which will likely end up in the classifieds here.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Why?

.375S is a pretty great round... I have 3 of them. R 700 @ 21"... ARs 18" and 10" SBR

Simple math is this... 358 Winchester performance in an AR-15 or S/A.

Tony designed/developed the round.

Sierra #2900s are the best bullet... but they can be hard to find. Annual run and sell out quickly.
Ok. Makes sense

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Little CTR kisses 75 'Max at 2.520",which is longer than most,yet shy of an LTR. Plenty of room remains in the OEM 10rd double stack,to chase lands. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

OEM Howie 223 Mini constraints are TRITE. Hint.

Thus the 22 PPC Alaskan Fhuqking Improved impetus,in said platform,which is simply a sensational arrangement. Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Touching more upon same,in OEM Mini Howie guts. Hint.

The CTR is the ONLY mag,Teeker does right. HILARIOUS that they botch same,on an '06 length action 223! Hint.

Look before you leap. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Little CTR's comb,would draw blood and mould lines could be trimmed with a Vicky,as an opening move. Hint.

No thanks. Hint...............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If anyone’s been thinking about one, the OG floorplates are expected to ship in about three weeks, so get on board.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If anyone’s been thinking about one, the OG floorplates are expected to ship in about three weeks, so get on board.
I just listened to a voice-mail from Wayne York and came here to share the same info. No Jimmy Olsen for me.🙂

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The mdt lss has a mag release that makes it much less likely to dump a mag on accident but it's too much of a good thing. The spring is so tight I can barely get it to drop a mag. My kids have no chance of getting it to release. I can barely push it hard enough. The howa mini does shoot well in the mdt lss though. I dumped a coyote Tuesday at about 290 with a 129 ablr from the little grendel. Now if I could just get my 10 year old to hit a buck with it. After opening day or two it's been nothing but does.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Talked to Wayne York today and ordered his bottom metal. He figured 2-3 weeks before shipping, so it sounds like there's still time to order before the current batch hits shipping.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Figured I'd add an update since I just put together my back-up mini for the grandkids.

Here's my first one that you've seen before in another thread. This one was in an Oregon Gunsmithing carbon fiber stock, OG bottom metal and Talley Rings when the photo was taken...

Picked up a Boyd's Classic Nutmeg stock from a forum member over at 65Grendel.com and just installed it and a set of DNZ Game Reaper 2 rings onto the spare mini I had in the safe.

I put the OG bottom metal into the Boyds stock and picked up a Jefferson Outdoors fixed flush magazine to put into the OG stock (shaving an additional .4oz off the overall weight). The OG bottom metal covers the cutout nicely and allows for 4 cartridges in the magazine with a little give to top off if desired, the JO fixed is better suited for 3+1. You can jam 4 into the magazine, but the follower is bottomed out hard. This works for me and with the loss of the 5th cartridge, I shaved a tiny bit more weight. That, and I like the fact I'll never accidentally dump any cartridges onto the ground. I also like the fact that the JO trigger guard is a little larger too for shooting while gloved...

Both the Talley and the DNZ rings are quality, but it's like the two companies got together and said, "Let's mess with the mini-action guys. You make your rear ring perfectly spaced for the action, and we'll do a perfect front ring."

Don't have total new weights on these, but the Laminated stock didn't do anything to shave pounds-n-ounces. I'll try and get some weights soon.

Hope this gives others some ideas or helps in some way. (ETA: 4yo Grandson #1 has already claimed the new laminated rifle. grin)

Good Shooting.

Last edited by Stump Buster; 04/25/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Anyone seating further out than 2.44" with the Oregunsmithing bottom metal and internal magazine?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,410
Posts18,489,010
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.