Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I recently found one of these rifles in the chambering I wanted and am looking for ideas/upgrades/tweaks, etc. The rifle I bought has the DIP bottom metal that takes factory mags, but I'm considering changing to the Oregon Gunsmithing bottom metal and doing away with the magazine. I'm also considering either reshaping the original stock or upgrading to a different stock, preferably something lighter.

I know that there have been dozens of threads about this rifle in the last few years, but my searches with Brave/DDG keep turning up just the same 2, so I'm hoping that the helpful folks here might be willing to either post some of their own rifles and experiences or revive some old threads.

TIA

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I upgraded mine to the Oregon Gunsmithing bottom metal, and the Stocky's carbon fiber stock. IMO I have too much invested in it for what it is. I have the Grendel, and anyway you cut it, it is basically a cartridge that has limitations. Having said that, it's a very nice handling rifle now, much better than the original configuration.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dang, that's pretty light. Thanks for the pic.

I've been eyeballing that stock myself, but mine has a 16¼" medium contour barrel and I'm wondering if putting it in such a light stock would make it too muzzle heavy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine has the 22 inch barrel, so it was a good fit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine has the OG floorplate and one of Wayne’s stocks. Total invested is close to a grand, about what the Carbon Stalker coming here soon costs, but of course that one still will have the plastic guard. Not sure yet what I’ll do about that. The floorplate is better for carrying around, but the mag with the DIP guard and release might be more convenient for targets and varmints, and is usable with a rail if needed.

Pretty sure I’ll be using Warne bases and Mountain Tech rings, so either will do.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes as to what they prefer on any given subject, including guns. I like my bolt action hunting rifles to have classic styling, which means no magazine protruding from below the stock. That was my biggest complaint about the Howa Mini-Action, as I just didn't care the magazine. I really love the looks and feel of the OG bottom metal, and the carbon fiber stock. To me, it turned an ugly duckling into a much prettier bird.

But, to be fair about it, the way it came from the factory was not all that objectionable. I could have lived with the factory magazine, but not the crappy stock. If I was going to keep it and use it, that stock had to go, and then it was only fitting to replace the magazine with the OG metal. Also, my rifle does not feed as well with the OG metal as it did with the factory mag. The Grendel is a fat little cartridge, and I believe that has something to do with it.

If I were buying a Mini for say a truck gun, I'd leave it as it came from the factory, instead of spending a bunch on it to spruce it up. However, that's strictly up the individual, and what they happen to like, and how much money they want to sink in to it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Appreciate the input, Pappy and J.Jr.

Even before I found and bought this rifle I was considering the OG bottom metal because this rifle is intended to be the one I use around the property, whether walking out back to check cameras or stands, or carrying on the tractor and I don't like the carrying characteristics of a protruding DM. It's likely that I'll buy the OG setup and sell the DIP bottom metal.

I also would like to replace the stock. I've seen where a guy can buy a carbon stock as a second and save a bunch, but it's still $300. Since shape and stiffness is what I want to improve, maybe I should look at wood stocks.

I have had a scope for this rifle/chambering in mind for a while. As far as mounting a scope, initially I was thinking about a picatinny base and rings, but after receiving the rifle, which already has a pic base on it, I can see how badly it covers up the ejection port. That's going to be an issue if I go with the OG bottom metal, so I may go with mounts like Talley lightweights or Leupold backcountrys, if they're made for the Howa.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a permanent setup, consider the Talleys, either the regular or lightweights, or Leupold Double Dovetails. I’m an unrepentant scope-swapper, hence my selection of the Warne bases, which are very low for Weaver-types.

You haven’t said what cartridge yours is chambered for. Fess up!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
For a permanent setup, consider the Talleys, either the regular or lightweights, or Leupold Double Dovetails. I’m an unrepentant scope-swapper, hence my selection of the Warne bases, which are very low for Weaver-types.

You haven’t said what cartridge yours is chambered for. Fess up!
I don't do much swapping, so the Talleys might get the nod.

It's the 300 Blackout, discontinued by Howa. It's not a cartridge that wows me, but I can cast for it, suppress it, or run lightweights at 2,300. As a "ranch rifle" it works for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mines a HB 6.5G, I have the DIP bottom metal and bobbed the carry mag and keep a full-size in the pack. I had it in a Boyde's TH stock for some LR shooting but liked it better back in the factory stock.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mines a HB 6.5G, I have the DIP bottom metal and bobbed the carry mag and keep a full-size in the pack. I had it in a Boyde's TH stock for some LR shooting but liked it better back in the factory stock.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Last I heard Wayne was either real low or completely out of magazine springs for his bottom metal conversions. Get 'em while you can!

Medics bury their mistakes..
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I got both the bottom metal and stock from Oregunsmithing for my heavy barreled Grendel. No regrets. It is more muzzle heavy than I’d like (12.5” LOP for reference) but I’d do it again. The OEM stock and mag setup were just a no go for me. Considering having the barrel fluted as 2-4 oz off the barrel could make a nice improvement in balance.

Also, I have a picatinny rail. No functional issues with loading/ejecting, but not my favorite look.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the input guys. Some nice looking rifles and good setups for me to get ideas from.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
223 - bought everything used and didn't spend a lot. Shoot as I’d expect a 223 - grrreeat. Few mods, shorten mag and upgraded release.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by vacrt2002; 10/05/22.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erich
I've see you post this (and I think others like it) pic and I get a little envious. What a cool setup for a riding and shooting adventure. Cool!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drano 25
I got both the bottom metal and stock from Oregunsmithing for my heavy barreled Grendel. No regrets. It is more muzzle heavy than I’d like (12.5” LOP for reference) but I’d do it again. The OEM stock and mag setup were just a no go for me. Considering having the barrel fluted as 2-4 oz off the barrel could make a nice improvement in balance.

Also, I have a picatinny rail. No functional issues with loading/ejecting, but not my favorite look.

That is crazy light. Hard to believe that Oregunsmithing is so darned light. Sweet rig.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I upgraded mine to the Oregon Gunsmithing bottom metal, and the Stocky's carbon fiber stock. IMO I have too much invested in it for what it is. I have the Grendel, and anyway you cut it, it is basically a cartridge that has limitations. Having said that, it's a very nice handling rifle now, much better than the original configuration.
How do you like that stock? I've got a sidejob check coming and I'm seriously considering springing for one.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
223 - bought everything used and didn't spend a lot. Shoot as I’d expect a 223 - grrreeat. Few mods, shorten mag and upgraded release.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice rig! How did you shorten the magazine? Talleys, right?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Who was modding the factory stocks? Was that MtnBoomer? I'd like to read about how he did those? Any remember what thread(s) that was?

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Talleys yes, their is a YouTube on shortening the mag…basically remove the cap, cut down reinstall….compress the spring or trim…….lot cheaper than new BM

Last edited by vacrt2002; 10/05/22.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some have reported that the plastic guards cracked. Without being there it’s had to know if that was due to user error. I just prefer metal, even aluminum to the shiny plastic, and my floorplate unit feeds perfectly. The DIP unit looks pretty good, and their replacement release looks worthwhile too, better than just trimming off the factory one. Losing mags is a real thing with the stock setup.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems to be some agreement on the color for the OG stocks….

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Seems to be some agreement on the color for the OG stocks….

[Linked Image]
I like paint scheme. What power is that Trijicon?
Is that the factory hard plastic stock that's been reshaped? If so, who did the shaping?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Credo HX 1-6. Great scope.

The stock is from Wayne York at oregunsmithingllc.com 18oz. I had MtnBoomer reshape the factory for my grandson. Looks great, but still a bit too long for the boy.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Pappy.

I may venture into reshaping my factory stock myself, including shortening the stock for my short stature and maybe the forend to be more in proportion with the short barrel.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've posted mine in previous threads. I specifically wanted a compact durable 6.5 grendel that would be at home in a tree stand, or still hunting and ride easily in my motorcycle scabbard. I started with the lighter barrel version in a youth stock. Cut the barrel to 16 1/4" and shortened the fore end. Reshaped the stock with a Work Sharp belt sander. Installed the OG bottom metal, talleys and a Redfield 2-7 and rattle canned some camo. 6lbs 5oz.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
They are offering the mini in a walnut stock now. Might have to get one of these in .223 or 6mm ARC

Last edited by weagle; 10/06/22.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by weagle
I've posted mine in previous threads. I specifically wanted a compact durable 6.5 grendel that would be at home in a tree stand, or still hunting and ride easily in my motorcycle scabbard. I started with the lighter barrel version in a youth stock. Cut the barrel to 16 1/4" and shortened the fore end. Reshaped the stock with a Work Sharp belt sander. Installed the OG bottom metal, talleys and a Redfield 2-7 and rattle canned some camo. 6lbs 5oz.

I remember seeing this one here before. That sweet paint job is eye catching.

When reshaping the stock, did you need to fill anything in, like voids in the barrel channel? If so, what did you use? JB plastic weld, maybe?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They are offering the mini in a walnut stock now. Might have to get one of these in .223 or 6mm ARC

That would be a sweet, classic looking rig with some OG BM.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Were it Laminate and S/S,they'd have sumptin'. Hint.

Just sayin'................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
'Stick, how's the ergos of the carbon stock? What mag box is that on the right, OG?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been wishin’ and hopin’ for SS, but would settle for nitride. Pretty sure LSI is responsible for this, as I’ve seen SS Minis for sale on a site in OZ.

You’d think that all the bottom metal Wayne is selling would be a clue too, but they’re slow learners…..

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been wishin’ and hopin’ for SS, but would settle for nitride. Pretty sure LSI is responsible for this, as I’ve seen SS Minis for sale on a site in OZ.

You’d think that all the bottom metal Wayne is selling would be a clue too, but they’re slow learners…..

People were always slamming Remington for being "behind the times," but IMO Legacy is every bit as worse. There is a lot they do that's good, but they could do better. I know the US market is just part of the equation, but I have to believe that we have to be the biggest customer. it just seems they could tweak some of their stuff and make it much more appealing to the eye.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Legacy is really just an importer, although there may be some finishing, stocking, etc done by them. They do offer a few SS models now, hopefully they’ll sell enough to take the hint. I know SS costs more, and I’d pay gladly.

Might be too late for me. I’ve made it no secret that I’m not buying any more rifles er, guns……

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bruinruin
'Stick, how's the ergos of the carbon stock? What mag box is that on the right, OG?

Everyone LOVES THE Carbon Queen. They are bow heavy outta da' gate,but The Chop muchly improves things. Wayne's World bottom and guts. Because I'm hard on schit,I wish the mag release had more bite and a stiffer spring. Hint.

Tough to whoop a 19" duped 7" RPM 22 PPC AFI squirting magfed Smooches. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Had this in my email this morning. Perhaps it’s a sign … laugh

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...ash_sale&utm_content=2022_10_07_Howa

Seems like a good price. Can anyone commend on the “standard” contour?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mags are junk and wayyyyyyyy short. Hint.

Easy pass,as there is no COAL cure for the 223 Mini. Hint.

Most my throats are Smooching a 75 ELD at 2.450"-ish in 8" RPM 223 SALAMI's. Pulled yet another outta da' box last night,S/S 8" 20" 223 CTR. Hint..............

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Appreciate that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Pappy.

I may venture into reshaping my factory stock myself, including shortening the stock for my short stature and maybe the forend to be more in proportion with the short barrel.

Carl does a great job for a silly price, but I don’t know if he’s doing them now. I bet he’d give you some tips for DIY.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a belt sander with the intention on reshaping the factory stock. Played around with some other stuff getting familiar with it, then decide that it was going to be a much more detailed process than I thought. So, I just bought a stock from Stocky's and let the idea go.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hate to say it, Stick is right about this action. Played around with 4 different rifles in both 223 and 6.5 Grendel. Mags suck, stocks suck, trigger almost OK, Light enough, shoot pretty good. You can spend a bunch of bucks on one and end up pretty much where you started. I will say there are people laying wait in the shadows to buy one from you.

Dog I rescued in January

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If someone wants to trade a walnut factory stock for an unused carbon fiber Stocky’s hit me up in a PM. I like the look of that walnut stock and would be happy to put it on my back-up NIB Mini-Grendel.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I remember seeing this one here before. That sweet paint job is eye catching.

When reshaping the stock, did you need to fill anything in, like voids in the barrel channel? If so, what did you use? JB plastic weld, maybe?
I cut the end off and removed about 4 inches then reattached the end with a couple of pins and some JB Weld. Then reshaped it with the belt sander.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I converted one of my Howa Mini's to 375 SOCOM. I opened up the 5.56 bolt face, recut the extractor, machined a barrel and made a magazine from sheet stock.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
I converted one of my Howa Mini's to 375 SOCOM. I opened up the 5.56 bolt face, recut the extractor, machined a barrel and made a magazine from sheet stock.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Why?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I put an MDT lss on a mini grendel because I wanted andadjustable stock for the kids. It's a bit heavier than I was hoping but shoots well and the mag release is vastly superior to the factory plastic. I should have put it on the scale before I scoped it for reference.

The mdt lss chassis usually goes on sale for about half price for black Friday. That makes it a reasonable option. I think I paid about $240 for this one last year. I could have saved a few ounces going with a different magpul stock but I had a few ACS-Ls on hand so that's what I used. I'd like to chop the barrel a few inches but it's shooting well enough I don't want to chance messing it up.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 10/09/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to run the mags, DIP makes a better release that appears to eliminate the dropped ones. They also make an aluminum guard assembly. I fretted over these for a bit, but will probably just buy another unit from Wayne York if they’re available. The release is $25 and uses the factory spring.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Why?

.375S is a pretty great round... I have 3 of them. R 700 @ 21"... ARs 18" and 10" SBR

Simple math is this... 358 Winchester performance in an AR-15 or S/A.

Tony designed/developed the round.

Sierra #2900s are the best bullet... but they can be hard to find. Annual run and sell out quickly.

Last edited by CashisKing; 10/09/22. Reason: Dang autocorrect typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If you want to run the mags, DIP makes a better release that appears to eliminate the dropped ones. They also make an aluminum guard assembly. I fretted over these for a bit, but will probably just buy another unit from Wayne York if they’re available. The release is $25 and uses the factory spring.
This rifle came with the complete DIP bottom metal and release. I'll likely be calling Wayne York and ordering his bottom metal to replace the DIP, which will likely end up in the classifieds here.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Why?

.375S is a pretty great round... I have 3 of them. R 700 @ 21"... ARs 18" and 10" SBR

Simple math is this... 358 Winchester performance in an AR-15 or S/A.

Tony designed/developed the round.

Sierra #2900s are the best bullet... but they can be hard to find. Annual run and sell out quickly.
Ok. Makes sense

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Little CTR kisses 75 'Max at 2.520",which is longer than most,yet shy of an LTR. Plenty of room remains in the OEM 10rd double stack,to chase lands. Hint.

OEM Howie 223 Mini constraints are TRITE. Hint.

Thus the 22 PPC Alaskan Fhuqking Improved impetus,in said platform,which is simply a sensational arrangement. Hint....................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Touching more upon same,in OEM Mini Howie guts. Hint.

The CTR is the ONLY mag,Teeker does right. HILARIOUS that they botch same,on an '06 length action 223! Hint.

Look before you leap. Hint.................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Little CTR's comb,would draw blood and mould lines could be trimmed with a Vicky,as an opening move. Hint.

No thanks. Hint...............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If anyone’s been thinking about one, the OG floorplates are expected to ship in about three weeks, so get on board.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If anyone’s been thinking about one, the OG floorplates are expected to ship in about three weeks, so get on board.
I just listened to a voice-mail from Wayne York and came here to share the same info. No Jimmy Olsen for me.🙂

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The mdt lss has a mag release that makes it much less likely to dump a mag on accident but it's too much of a good thing. The spring is so tight I can barely get it to drop a mag. My kids have no chance of getting it to release. I can barely push it hard enough. The howa mini does shoot well in the mdt lss though. I dumped a coyote Tuesday at about 290 with a 129 ablr from the little grendel. Now if I could just get my 10 year old to hit a buck with it. After opening day or two it's been nothing but does.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Talked to Wayne York today and ordered his bottom metal. He figured 2-3 weeks before shipping, so it sounds like there's still time to order before the current batch hits shipping.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Figured I'd add an update since I just put together my back-up mini for the grandkids.

Here's my first one that you've seen before in another thread. This one was in an Oregon Gunsmithing carbon fiber stock, OG bottom metal and Talley Rings when the photo was taken...

Picked up a Boyd's Classic Nutmeg stock from a forum member over at 65Grendel.com and just installed it and a set of DNZ Game Reaper 2 rings onto the spare mini I had in the safe.

I put the OG bottom metal into the Boyds stock and picked up a Jefferson Outdoors fixed flush magazine to put into the OG stock (shaving an additional .4oz off the overall weight). The OG bottom metal covers the cutout nicely and allows for 4 cartridges in the magazine with a little give to top off if desired, the JO fixed is better suited for 3+1. You can jam 4 into the magazine, but the follower is bottomed out hard. This works for me and with the loss of the 5th cartridge, I shaved a tiny bit more weight. That, and I like the fact I'll never accidentally dump any cartridges onto the ground. I also like the fact that the JO trigger guard is a little larger too for shooting while gloved...

Both the Talley and the DNZ rings are quality, but it's like the two companies got together and said, "Let's mess with the mini-action guys. You make your rear ring perfectly spaced for the action, and we'll do a perfect front ring."

Don't have total new weights on these, but the Laminated stock didn't do anything to shave pounds-n-ounces. I'll try and get some weights soon.

Hope this gives others some ideas or helps in some way. (ETA: 4yo Grandson #1 has already claimed the new laminated rifle. grin)

Good Shooting.

Last edited by Stump Buster; 04/25/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Anyone seating further out than 2.44" with the Oregunsmithing bottom metal and internal magazine?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer the looks of the JO, and based on limited examples (2 OG, 1 JO) they work a bit better.

Mentioned this elsewhere, but the JO hinged unit allows you to load the box from below. Flip the rifle over, open the floorplate, drop in 3, tilt to let them settle to the rear, and close the door. If you direct load one first, that gives you four.

Was having issues with the JO feeding the round sitting on the follower, then noticed the spring wasn’t completely seated in the slot on the floorplate, maybe 1/8”. Fixed that and problem solved.

Nice goods you got there HPK.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Anyone seating further out than 2.44" with the Oregunsmithing bottom metal and internal magazine?

I have the OG bottom metal on my Mini Grendel. My 123 grain Hornady SST handloads are 2.28, and there's enough room in the magazine that they might be able to be loaded longer. I found the accuracy I was looking for at that length and left it alone.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Nice goods you got there HPK.

HPK's bottom metal makes me want to pick up a .223 mini just to see if they're as good there as in the 6 A and 6.5 G. I'm liking the mini action way more than I thought I would and the stock options make it a slim/trim package. In stainless it would be a real hard package to beat for the shorty rounds.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 223 1-8 20 inch sporter weight in a youth stock. I got it for my girls but I use it a lot as is, I could a slip on pad but works fine.

I added the OG bm, bedded the factory stock and rattle canned it with daughter, good project for us.

Other than that I left it alone, I paid $325 with the youth and adult stocks both, it was a sale deal, sold the adult stock so have a about 375 in it after buying a used OG BM set.

I put an old usa made Burris 3-9x32 compact AO on it which looks size appropriate on it, to each his own but I hate the look and balance of a huge scope on a little gun.

It shoots about 1 moa, maybe a little more with cheap factory 55 gr and with my hunting load of a 60 grain nosler partition.

It is the perfect walk around gun, good enough for varmints at a reasonable range, deer or pigs at any range the little caliber is appropriate to take them.

I have read all the threads about upgrading to CF stocks, putting a new trigger on it as the factory is ok, not bad but not great, etc…

I finally said why, it is light enough as is, it shoots good enough as is and I don’t have a mint in it making it the perfect rifle to me.

Spence

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A replacement stock can be a pricey option, as is the Carbon Stalker model compared to the Tupperware®️, but the appearance is much better (especially the stocks from Wayne York), and the light weight lets you mount a reliable optic and still keep the total package weight down. I’m 71, and am coming up on 50lbs of weight loss, but a typical hunting trip for me involves 1.5-2.5 miles of walking over rolling terrain with elevation changes of 200’ or more, and my old knees appreciate every ounce I cut from my gear. My two tweaked Minis are both very close in weight to my Fieldcraft, a good place.

Never thought I needed a better trigger.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I'm interested in triggers folks are using. I've been using a Timney on a Grendel and the factory on an ARC. I like the factory 3 position...the Timney is 2 position and I had to dremel a bit of stock away for it to fit. Not a big deal on the dremel but I do wish it was 3 position.

Is there an aftermarket 3 position trigger for the mini?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I'm interested in triggers folks are using. I've been using a Timney on a Grendel and the factory on an ARC. I like the factory 3 position...the Timney is 2 position and I had to dremel a bit of stock away for it to fit. Not a big deal on the dremel but I do wish it was 3 position.

Is there an aftermarket 3 position trigger for the mini?
Timney 611?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Someone posted the headless screws to help bed the minis but I can’t find that post now. Can anyone help me out with that info again?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
Someone posted the headless screws to help bed the minis but I can’t find that post now. Can anyone help me out with that info again?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...Socket-Set-Screw-2-Pack-845998/204833669

Those are what I used. Of course they need to be coated well with release agent. When removing they'll need to be screwed out and you'll need to drill open the screw holes but it only takes a couple of minutes.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Buy a couple of bolts, trim the threads to fit action, cut the heads off and wrap with teflon tape or liberally coat with release agent and rock on.

I have a set for several different actions and makes it easier and less likely to wing up with an action welded to the stock

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 60 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,191
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.