Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I got into hunting with a crossbow a few years ago and initially had some good luck. This year I have missed two easy shots. I’m OK with blaming myself, but also I realized that I had been using Halfmoon nocks on my bolts and the ones I used to miss the deer were capture nocks. I’m wondering if those may have change the impact points and would be interested in any insights. Thanks.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Shoot it an find out

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Shoot it an find out

Yes. Shoot them both at 20yds. you might be surprised at what a difference it can make.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Measure the serving size and then see what the specs are on the nock. All I ever use is Firenock.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Measure the serving size and then see what the specs are on the nock. All I ever use is Firenock.

Thats all I use now too. They are very consistent. I have had some problems with others.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
did you shoot it before you went huntin ?

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I usually shoot it before every time I use it. But I think I only shot the half moon bolts In practice. I also didn’t realize the other bolts had capture Nocks until after I missed and looked them over. I intend to buy more of the half moon bolts from a local archery store, I was just wondering if anyone had the point of impact difference when firing Bolts with different nocks.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Greatlaker
I usually shoot it before every time I use it. But I think I only shot the half moon bolts In practice. I also didn’t realize the other bolts had capture Nocks until after I missed and looked them over. I intend to buy more of the half moon bolts from a local archery store, I was just wondering if anyone had the point of impact difference when firing Bolts with different nocks.

Yes I have. You stated, " I also didn’t realize the (other bolts) had capture Nocks until after I missed and looked them over." Are all the bolts the same manufacture and same weight? Do you shoot it with a practice broad head before you go hunting? or use a field tip of the same weight? It doesn't take much to change the point of impact.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
The new bolts are Easton carbon raider, and the old ones are no names from an archery store, But they worked well for me. I haven’t had trouble mixing and matching these two bolt types in the past, but of course I’m wary now. I take your point about different bolts and weights and now Nocks, and I intend to be more methodical about it going forward. I’m definitely at a point using a crossbow where I am needing advice, not offering any lol. Appreciate the feedback.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The best advise I can give you is, Don't mix bolts, nocks, broad heads, etc. If you want consistent accuracy. Pick the bolts you want to use. Pick the broad heads you want to use and stick with that combo. sight your crossbow in with a practice broad head. The same as the broad head you are hunting with. Do not sight it in with a field tip. Even if it is the same weight as your broad head. The point of impact will be different. The broad head will fly differently. It doesn't take much to get a point of aim to point of impact variation if you deviate from using the same exact bolt and broad head combo. Good Luck.

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Great info. Thanks jc189

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jc189
The best advise I can give you is, Don't mix bolts, nocks, broad heads, etc. If you want consistent accuracy. Pick the bolts you want to use. Pick the broad heads you want to use and stick with that combo. sight your crossbow in with a practice broad head. The same as the broad head you are hunting with. Do not sight it in with a field tip. Even if it is the same weight as your broad head. The point of impact will be different. The broad head will fly differently. It doesn't take much to get a point of aim to point of impact variation if you deviate from using the same exact bolt and broad head combo. Good Luck.

I would use the nock the bow manufacturer recommends as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 25 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.