Print Thread
Hop To
#1772507 11/01/07
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have not shot archery in over 20 years. I have 3 compounds and used to have a recurve that I bowfished with when I was young. I am thinking about getting a recurve off of e-bay and I have some simple and perhaps dumb questions.

1. If I hold the bow with my left hand and draw with my right, am I looking for a right-handed bow?

2. I read another post where Jim In Oregan recommended a Damon-Howatts recurve. Any particular Model? What price would be a good deal? Seems some are available in the $100.00 range.

3. I am not sure of my draw length, but I am 6ft. tall and weigh about 200 lbs, so I am guessing it should be standard. What is the minium draw weight I should get to start practicing with. If I get profecient enough, I will hunt deer with it and expect no shots over 35yrds. Will 50lbs be enough and could I get by with 45lbs?

Thanks for your responses!!

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by winchesterfan
I have not shot archery in over 20 years. I have 3 compounds and used to have a recurve that I bowfished with when I was young. I am thinking about getting a recurve off of e-bay and I have some simple and perhaps dumb questions.

1. If I hold the bow with my left hand and draw with my right, am I looking for a right-handed bow?

ANSWER:
Yes, a right handed bow..assuming you are right handed and right eye dominant..:)

2. I read another post where Jim In Oregan recommended a Damon-Howatts recurve. Any particular Model? What price would be a good deal? Seems some are available in the $100.00 range.

ANSWER:
The Howatt Hunter, Mamba,Hi Speed,Ventura, Cavalier etc are all fine recurves if they have not been damaged or abused.

Some of the older Herter's recurves are excellent as are SOME of the Ben Pearson bows.

100-200.00 for a good condition used older recurve is about what to expect..Maybe less IF you get lucky..:)
Wing recurves also can nice ones..
Bear and some of the Groves, Howatt and Pearson bows are being 'collected' these days and sometimes get ridiculous prices..
Here's a possible 'sleeper' on auction now made by Howatt..Nothing fancy, maple riser but should be a good bread & butter recurve..:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/YA-Howatt-Arche...839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3. I am not sure of my draw length, but I am 6ft. tall and weigh about 200 lbs, so I am guessing it should be standard. What is the minium draw weight I should get to start practicing with. If I get profecient enough, I will hunt deer with it and expect no shots over 35yrds. Will 50lbs be enough and could I get by with 45lbs?

ANSWER:
MOST all the production bows are marked "X" #s @ 28" which is /was the AMO standard.

Your own draw length may be 28 and may be longer.If you draw longer than 28" count on the bow's draw weight increasing for the longer draw at least 3#s per inch of draw over the AMO 28" length.

IF Deer are you quarry, AND the hunting regs allow it, a decent 45# recurve will do just fine..

Avoid the shorter 'magnum' style recurves that are less than 58" nock to nock length as they are more critical to shoot well with for most.Jim

Thanks for your responses!!

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Jim, thanks for your quick responses.
If I get a bow without a string. Are replacements readily available? Are bow stringers interchangable for all lengths?
I will worry about matching arrows when I acquire a bow. I am sure I have some 20+ year old easton aluminum ones in the garage somewhere. Thanks again

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I saw that seafoam green one. Not sure I like the idea of "drilled for quiver". What do you think of this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-Damon...839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Coronado was not on your list? If my link does not work-it is listed under recurve bows- 2nd page, 17 down

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
winchesterfan,
New 'endless' bowstrings are still pretty available as are Flemish twist strings.
3 Rivers Archery sell both types and other shops sell mostly the endless strings.

The string needs to be selected for the AMO ( Archery Manufacturer's Organization) nock to nock length as marked, OR measured with a cloth bias tape along the back of the bow's contours noct to nock..

For a 60 " recurve, the actual string length will be shorter but the package will read 60" string.

String needs to be suitable heavy in strands for the draw weight of the bow.

A Nirk tip to tip bow stringer will work fine for most recurves and is safe & easy to use..amd inexpensive..
3 Rivers has those, as well as arrows and arrow making supplies also..

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=4254

They are probably the most complete source for the stickbow archer..and no, I don't work for them..:)Jim

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Here's a Wing that ...IF 45#@28" is what you want, isn't a bad 'buy it now price'..for a great little 58" hunting bow..and you may bid and take it for less..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-WING-R...839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The minor vertical stress crack in the back glass from the stabilizer insert hole isn't an isse..A dose of superglus and some wax and it will never be a problem..

WHATEVER you bid-buy on eBay, check the seller's credentials-history ask questions, ask for better-additional pictures ,read the fine print.
There are some excellent values there IF one does his homework and pays attention and sets in his mind the top price he'll pay..Jim

and here's a clean Howatt Balboa, 50#@28...
http://cgi.ebay.com/DAMON-HOWATT-BA...839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1badf350, 1234, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 67 invisible), 16,016 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,160
Posts18,542,788
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.