Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a BIL who wants to get a 6.5 PRC for his son because somehow a 6.5x55 can’t make 200 yard shots at Pronghorns.

The way life should be.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Hurt Feeler Reports runneth over,from Whining Brokedicks,who only "shoot" their mouths and Imaginations...the "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Spin a Texan in a circle within a phone booth and they'd have to call 911 for an extraction. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Guess what the 7mm PRC will never be? A 30/06

And thank god for that.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For someone who wants to do a lot of shooting beyond 400-500 yards the 7mm PRC should be a great cartridge.

For the more average hunter, it doesn't do much that a 7mm Rem Mag won't do. And if you rebarrel your 7mm RM with a 1/8 twist it should do most of what a PRC will do.

Just another option for shooters to choose from as I see it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The Hurt Feeler Reports runneth over,from Whining Brokedicks,who only "shoot" their mouths and Imaginations...the "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Spin a Texan in a circle within a phone booth and they'd have to call 911 for an extraction. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

B,

Appreciate your concern,

but not to worry

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have a goodly supply of quarters.

a cell phone,

and more than a few rifles

chambered for the 30-06 Springfield

but I will admit that although most have been blooded

none have been thrown in crick' or on a dirt pile!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Total impulse buy.

Mossberg patriot under $400. Could not resist.

Before

after

Shoots well too

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
There hasn't been a significant cartridge I produced since the mid 60s.

And that's being generous by considering factory rounds that
achieved popularity.

The 204 is perhaps an exception.
Even it has faded and seems behind the rounds it was supposed to
beat.

Chose the 60s for the 7mm Rem and Winchester magnums.
H&H actually had that covered many years before, but original
powders and pressures held them back.
I really wish the 7mm-08 was more significant. But I'd still list it as a great cartridge introduced after the 1960s

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
RickyBobby, in your world, the 7mm PRC would do nothing for you. In my world, the 30-06, as great as it is, gets left behind. And absolutely nothing wrong with any of that, exactly why there's different stuff. But just because the PRC doesn't work for you...

geedubya, great stuff as always!

Lots of different personalities and opinions here...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Full Disclosure:

I do have a 7 PRC

"Salvage" 110 Utralight.

ya!

GWB

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by geedubya
Full Disclosure:

I do have a 7 PRC

"Salvage" 110 Utralight.

ya!

GWB

AB Raptor 8 can? Thoughts on it?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I suppose when I was younger a new cartridge rolling on the scene was sorta interesting. As I get older, it seems I just chuckle a bit and think to myself … what can this chambering do that my 30/06 can’t? I’m sure you’ll hear from folks claiming some sorta niche it may be capable of but I got to ask myself is it something we all really were looking for? Simplicity is what satisfies myself these days. I guess we will see how much marketing is dumped into another cartridge.

New cartridges are like new trucks. All the "cool" guys buy the new ones so they can show them off to their friends, but in the end it's still a truck.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by LSU fan
[

Good eye!

Yes, that is a Raptor 8, 7.62.

Got it in last week after over a year wait.

I went to my lease last weekend to perforate porkers and used my Nomad 30. Consequently, I've not made the opportunity to try it out yet.

Hopefully will do so soon.

Best,

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I suppose when I was younger a new cartridge rolling on the scene was sorta interesting. As I get older, it seems I just chuckle a bit and think to myself … what can this chambering do that my 30/06 can’t? I’m sure you’ll hear from folks claiming some sorta niche it may be capable of but I got to ask myself is it something we all really were looking for? Simplicity is what satisfies myself these days. I guess we will see how much marketing is dumped into another cartridge.

New cartridges are like new trucks. All the "cool" guys buy the new ones so they can show them off to their friends, but in the end it's still a truck.

Never have owned a new vehicle.

Have owned some new firearms.

It's been quite enjoybable figuring out which ones I like and which ones I don't like, which are keepers and which to let follow someone else home.

ya!

GWB

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

Kinda like back in 1906...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LSU fan
[

Good eye!

Yes, that is a Raptor 8, 7.62.

Got it in last week after over a year wait.

I went to my lease last weekend to perforate porkers and used my Nomad 30. Consequently, I've not made the opportunity to try it out yet.

Hopefully will do so soon.

Best,

GWB

I’ve only heard good things. Strongly considering one.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Yep , that is why I didn’t get sucked into the 6.5 thing .
Over the years of shooting I figured out the trajectory of 06 is only improved by small amounts , not enough the average shooter as myself will concern hisself with .
Even energy levels of non magnum cartridges can give the 06 any bumps to hurdle .
Kenneth

R
R
Originally Posted by RobHazmat

And those of us that can actually shoot just chuckle a lot because we know its not trying to be a 30-06. Put simply, anything the 30-06 can do at 400 yards and under, the 7mm PRC can too.. and then it can do it some more out to 500, 600, 700 all the way out to 1000 yards. Some of us actually take game out past 200 yards old timer.

Boy Howdy!

Don't discount the ability of "old timers" to chuckle at still being able to kill stuff under 200 yds. with a 30-06 in their 'golden years'..........

ya!

GWB

PS: Welcome to the forum, youngster!

Thanks for the welcome lol. I wasnt discounting anyones ability to take game at 200 yards and under with any cartridge. Moreso discounting the OPs post as what the goal of the 7mm PRC is, which isnt taking game at under 200 yards, or trying to be a 30-06 lol. I mean come on, almost anything above a .22lr will take game at that range. No one is trying to take 30-06 from you guys.

Last edited by RobHazmat; 08/29/23.
R
R

Spoken like a true female that doesnt know the differences between trucks lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RobHazmat

Spoken like a true female that doesnt know the differences between trucks lol

Sorry I triggered you to the point of calling names and making blind assumptions. Welcome to the Fire. lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

Kinda like back in 1906...

I prefer the 7x57 from 1892, but do admit that the 30-06 was a small improvement over the 7x57.

Some "cool" <sarc> shooters like the older obscure classics to get their cool fix when they bring something different into the deer camp. The gun makers don't pander to us much. smile

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1Longbow, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 22kHornet, 55 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,596
Posts18,511,301
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.