Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
NW AK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've never had a Zeiss scope, but I'm thinking about this one as my first. Can you guys post some picts of them mounted on your guns please? I'm going to put it on a M70 long action.

Luck favors the prepared.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This is my hog hunting rig DPMS .308 topped off with a 1.8-5.5x38

[Linked Image]

Not really what you are looking for but I have other pics of Zeiss 3-9x40's topping off Model 70's. They are very close in size. All of my rifles wear Zeiss scopes.
[Linked Image]

NW AK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the picts. I'm having a hard time getting over how bulky these scopes look.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NW AK
Thanks for the picts. I'm having a hard time getting over how bulky these scopes look.

Well, the extra length can be a real asset if you are trying to mount a scope on a "real rifle" smile

For example, most scopes today are too short to easily mount on my .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, and some extra length really helps you get the scope mounted for proper eye relief!

If you are putting a scope on a Remington Model 7, then get yourself a nice Leupold 2.5-8 or a Leupold 6x and you will be happy.

I have a bunch of Leupold scopes, but I must say the reticle on my Zeiss and Swarovski scopes are much better for bad light (and, for that matter, good light!).

John

NW AK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
John,

I'm going to put it on my .375 H&H also, so I'm all for getting proper eye relief! I've had my share of magnum eyebrow, and try to stay away from it now.

I've bought nothing but Leupolds for the last 10 years and have been very happy with them. A friend of my has Zeiss scopes, and I happened to pick up his gun and look through the scope and I was amazed with how bright and clear it was. It seemed like it was brighter than looking with your eyes! After that I decided that I have to try one out.

Thanks for your input.

IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NW AK:

My experience mirrors yours: a happy Leupold-only user until I tried a Zeiss. Now, I have some of both: Leupold 2.5-8x for light rifles that are carried a lot, Zeiss or Swarovski for "normal weight" rifles.

The non-Conquest Zeiss have good images, but shorter eye relief, so for me when I say "Zeiss" I currently mean "Zeiss Conquest"!

I've had no problems with Zeiss Conquest on my .375 H&H or my .358 Norma Mag -- good eye relief, non-critical eye position.

Cheers from northern Sweden!

John

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have a 3x9x40. you will defenatly have magnum eye relief from them. mine has too much if you can believe that. they defenatly bright and clear, mine has a pretty heavy reticle which is nice too.

mine is mounted on a model 7 and is way to big for the gun. lots of adjustment though if you need it.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Winmodel70,

Do you really hunt with that lefty short mag??? Man what a piece of lumber on that rifle.

Doc

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Winmodel70,

Do you really hunt with that lefty short mag??? Man what a piece of lumber on that rifle.

Doc

I am going to take it out for the first time this year. I have it sited in and it's ready to go. It's not going in the thick stuff though. wink

NW AK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Win,

I just read that this scope has it's parallax set at 50 yds. Does it bother you at all on longer shots, like 300 yds?

IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Win,

I just read that this scope has it's parallax set at 50 yds. Does it bother you at all on longer shots, like 300 yds?

Zeiss makes many of their scopes in both "shotgun" (50yard) parallax, and "rifle" models (100 yard).

You just need to order the right model: see SWFA's webpage for an easy list -- good web page.

However, whey you are ready to buy, I'd recommend Camera Land, or The Optic Zone (Web pages not so well organized, but better service).

John

NW AK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

That helps a bunch. I ordered on Friday, hope it's the rifle one.....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't have any problems shooting at longer ranges with the scope.

NW AK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well I got my scope today, and it's awesome. The quality of the optics is out of this world. I stuck it on my M70 .375, and it's a perfect fit. Thank you guys for helping me make my choice.

I'd also like to thank Doug at camraland for his help and great customer service.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well I got my scope today, and it's awesome. The quality of the optics is out of this world. I stuck it on my M70 .375, and it's a perfect fit. Thank you guys for helping me make my choice.

I'd also like to thank Doug at camraland for his help and great customer service.

Glad you like the Zeiss! Since you use a "real rifle" (a .375 Ouch & Ouch, like I do!), I thought you would appreciate the extra length of this fine scope.

What initially hooked me on the Zeiss Conquest was the great 4 reticle Zeiss has, but the image is so bright and clear that you just can't ignore that aspect.

Mind you, I still think you can't beat Leupold for a light scope, but I apart from a couple of extra ounces, there is nothing to not like about the Zeiss Conquest!

John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Conquest 3x9 that I agree is very bright. Brighter than any of my 3 Loopys. I just can't get too excited about how that focus/parallax/eyepiece ring is all one piece that actually wiggles a little. You can actually watch reflections on the eyepiece move around when you slightly tweak it left to right. Any other Conquest owners experience this? Thoughts?

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 338Federal
I have a Conquest 3x9 that I agree is very bright. Brighter than any of my 3 Loopys. I just can't get too excited about how that focus/parallax/eyepiece ring is all one piece that actually wiggles a little. You can actually watch reflections on the eyepiece move around when you slightly tweak it left to right. Any other Conquest owners experience this? Thoughts?

Hmmmmm..... Your post made me open the gunsafe and check my Zeiss Conquest.

No movement in my 3-9 that I can detect...

NW AK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I checked mine last night also. I didn't notice any wiggle either. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or it's too little a movement for me to notice. To me mine seems rock solid.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No movement on all of my Conquests.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (12344mag, 117LBS, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 3,155 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,965
Posts18,499,229
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.