Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BUY AMERICAN

Toyota Tundra,built in America by Americans.Or you could buy a made in Mexico Dodge Ram or Chevy Avalanche. grin

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Made 4 Toyota "mistakes" so far, on my 3rd PU, 196K so far, replaced the starter last week, 1st repair other than belts. Still have the other 2 trucks, can't bear to get rid of 'em, and they do still run, very well @ 186K & 186K. Bought a new Camry last year. The people who run 'em down usually haven't owned one. Looking to screw up again on another soon, gotta wait for catastrophic failure on one of the 3 trucks.

Last edited by weaselsRus; 12/03/07.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Made 4 Toyota "mistakes" so far, on my 3rd PU, 196K so far, replaced the starter last week, 1st repair other than belts. Still have the other 2 trucks, can't bear to get rid of 'em, and they do still run, very well @ 186K & 186K. Bought a new Camry last year. The people who run 'em down usually haven't owned one. Looking to screw up again on another soon, gotta wait for catastrophic failure on one of the 3 trucks.

Please give us a report every 5 years or additional 100,000 miles per Toyota, whichever comes first ... smile

John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
atleast the profits from my truck stay in the usa.its because of you buying that junk that our country is going to $h-t,but no one cares anymore.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
And exactly how many BILLIONS did GM just lose? And Ford followed their lead with several BILLIONS in losses, also.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by srwshooter
atleast the profits from my truck stay in the usa.its because of you buying that junk that our country is going to $h-t,but no one cares anymore.

Don't the profits/loss go to the shareholders also? Lots of 'em in the US. Toyota is a major factor in how the quality in "American" automakers has improved, if they weren't building a better rig, I wouldn't buy one. I can't justify forking out the bucks for any of the big 3 if for a little more I can get better quality/durability. I equate the vehicle issue to optics, buy the best even if you can't afford it, the quality, warranty, and factory service will pay you back.

Toyota-junk? You've never owned one I'm guessing

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Originally Posted by srwshooter

Don't the profits/loss go to the shareholders also? Lots of 'em in the US. Toyota is a major factor in how the quality in "American" automakers has improved, if they weren't building a better rig, I wouldn't buy one. I can't justify forking out the bucks for any of the big 3 if for a little more I can get better quality/durability. I equate the vehicle issue to optics, buy the best even if you can't afford it, the quality, warranty, and factory service will pay you back.

Toyota-junk? You've never owned one I'm guessing

There's no guessing involved with toyota's considerable problems with the highly-touted tundra V8.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/103690-2007-6-speed-transmission-failures/

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/16/toyota-hit-hard-by-new-consumer-reports-predicted-reliability-ra/

http://bodyshopzone.com/editorial/about_Toyota/Tundra_quality_problem.html

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I'm on my 5th & 6th Toyota "mistakes", 5th pickup, last three have been 4x4's. Currently have an '01 Taco double cab. The 6th is my work car. I drive about 100 miles a day that I am reimbursed for, decided to buy a used car to drive in the DFW traffic and save my Taco for fun. So I bought a '99 Lexus LS400, what a car!

My wife isn't quite as loyal, she's driving a Honda CRV now <G>.

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere, than in any city on earth" ... Steve McQueen
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you drive a Toyota truck with a Remington in your rifle rack, does that make your mistakes sucks? smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or drive a GM, Dodge or Ford and have a pair of German made binos hanging off your neck as you exit the truck for the woods. The whole buy American is what the Big 3 count on ,cuz they aint got much else. Hell they dont even have the buy American anymore , most of their rigs are built south or north of our borders. To believe that your hard earned money should be lost in a poorly built vehicle due to patriotic guilt and on top of that to be given even worse service, then you just aint too smart with your money.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Or drive a GM, Dodge or Ford and have a pair of German made binos hanging off your neck as you exit the truck for the woods. The whole buy American is what the Big 3 count on ,cuz they aint got much else. Hell they dont even have the buy American anymore , most of their rigs are built south or north of our borders. To believe that your hard earned money should be lost in a poorly built vehicle due to patriotic guilt and on top of that to be given even worse service, then you just aint too smart with your money.

You say it so much better than I would have!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I should point out that the 2 older Toys I have don't really get that good of mpg, the 86 has a carburated 22R, gets 19, the 88 V6 gets 18, 93 gets 23, but my daughters' 98 GMC w/350 can get as much as 22 and will haul more and ride better. Only real downside to my Toys, I hear the newer ones do better, with gas going where it is, mpg will be a much bigger factor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know what to think about the "Buy USA" topic any more. I'll never buy another GM product that's for sure. The D'max and Allison are great but the rest of the truck is a royal POS. Holes worn completely through the leather seats by 70k. At 115k I'd need two pages to list every body/interior issue including rust. crazy
I just got back from Hawaii and probably 70% (just a WAG) of the residents there are driving them mini Toyota 4x4 trucks. 99.9% of the time if you see a GM or Ford it's a rental. On Maui I rented a Caddy CTS. I felt ripped off just paying the rental fee.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'm running an '88 toy plain cab, short bed, ifs 4x4, 22r-e, manual tranny, manual locking hubs.
got it for 3 k. imagine i could sell it right now for 3.5k
it'll do, at 2k less than a fancy atv.
oh, 23-25 mpg.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by fish30ought6
i'm running an '88 toy plain cab, short bed, ifs 4x4, 22r-e, manual tranny, manual locking hubs.
got it for 3 k. imagine i could sell it right now for 3.5k
it'll do, at 2k less than a fancy atv.
oh, 23-25 mpg.

That is the reason why I have such a hard time paying so much for these ATV's. You can get much more value out of a truck or Jeep for the prices of some of these Mules and things.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yep, my truck will CARRY an atv ... it gets me plenty close enough to walk in the last couple-three hundred yards on my gimpy legs and feet that don't work right because of misfiring neurons ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you really think Toyoya makes a better prouct than Ford, Chevy or Dodge it just means you really have not looked closely at the quality of the domestics lately. Toyota is not the quality leader it was 15 or 20 years ago. Their rate of problems per 1000 units is higher now than in the past. Unfortunatley for the domestic makers many people look at the name Toyota and leap to the conclusion that it is the same quality product as in the past, and they don't really shop or compare closely the domestics. I would stack a new F-150 against a Tundra any day, for quality and duability. If you look underneath ther is no comparison in frames. Toyotas are riveted together and are open c channel, F-150 gets a fully boxed much ( visibly ) heavier frame, and is welded with thru frame cross members. When the Tundra first came out you could not even get LT series tires ! maybe they changed that, but it shows Toyota thinks along the lines of cars, not trucks. If you try to change the oil on a Tundra with the TRD package you have to unbolt skid plates which were put on as an after thought. If you tow with a Tundra it requires an entirely different maintenance schedule, which includes servicing the rear diff. at 3500 mile intervals or each time you change your oil ! ( if memory serves ) Toyota is riding a wave of quality perception they earned in the past, and they are not producing the same level of vehicles today. They don't have too ! people just assume they are. Now if you want to talk about the Tacoma, I think they are still top of the pile in small trucks, Toyota tried to enlarge a Tacoma and call it fully capable of being a true full size truck and they count on buyers not looking close/deep enough under the skin. I don't say these things to just generally piss off Toyota Guys, but to suggest that you look under the surface of the Tundra, and to look at the domestic trucks ( again ) and more closely. The US truck makers are truly turning out a great product, a product that is not the same as it was 15 or 20 years ago, and every bit the quality of a Tundra and more capable. RustyL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would stack a new F-150 against a Tundra any day, for quality and duability. If you look underneath ther is no comparison in frames. Toyotas are riveted together and are open c channel, F-150 gets a fully boxed much ( visibly ) heavier frame, and is welded with thru frame cross members.

And the f-150 and dodge ram were the only full sized trucks to fail the insurance bureaus rear crash tests while the Tundra received top marks.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=70

If the fully boxed frame is stronger,why does ford use an open c- channel frame on the super duty trucks?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am sorry but I do not know how to post a link for NHTSA. But you can find it at safecar.gov . NHTSA is showing the 08 F-150 earned dual 5 star ratings for frontal crashes and a roll over rating of 4 stars. The 08 Toyota Tundra earned 4 star frontal crash ratings and 3 star roll over for 2 wheel drive and 4 stars for 4 wheel drives. Crashtest.com gives the 04 -07 F-150 4 door and ex cabs an overall rating of excellent. The Tundra was not rated on as many categories but earned a rating of good. When it comes to the frames on the F-150and F-250, there is a considerable difference in the gauge of steel used, and the F-250 frame is Physically bigger. The F-150 uses Hydro forming for a good amount of its frame, allowing it to be lighter and yet very rigid. RustyL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When it comes to the frames on the F-150and F-250, there is a considerable difference in the gauge of steel used, and the F-250 frame is Physically bigger. The F-150 uses Hydro forming for a good amount of its frame, allowing it to be lighter and yet very rigid. RustyL

Your initial claim was that the fully boxed frame was stronger than an open c-frame,now you yourself openly admit that there are other factors to consider.Have you personally compared the gauges of the Toyota and Ford frames?Have you personally compared the overall sizes of the frames.
And of course the f-250 frame is larger and of a heavier gauge than that of the f-150,it is for a 3/4 ton truck,not a 1/2 ton.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (257 roberts, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 257 mag, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 1,859 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,247
Posts18,525,084
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.