Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have found a rifle length gas system to be reliable and I prefer the 308W at 18-20” barrel length.

I have no need for muzzle accessories and finished out,“my” concept will be nearly the same weight and OAL as the 16” SFAR with the factory boomer brake installed.

Better gas system, closer to optimum barrel length, less noise and concussion… better mousetrap for deer hunting IMO.

Semper Fi

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just mounted an SWFA 3-15 on my SFAR and ran 15 rounds through it yesterday. Got about 3"++ groups at 100 yards. Not impressed. Some were handloaded 155 Amax over W748. However others were factory Federal Bonded Tactical 165grain. They shot over 3" also.

I noticed my brass was tore up. Double ejector plunger marks with brass flow on all factory rounds. Ejected hot and to the 5 oclock.

Not at all what I was hoping. Back to the drawing board.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RiverRider
If Ruger ever offers that gun in 7mm-08 and the bugs are worked out, I can imagine one living in my safe.

I can see a barrel swap in my future if they ever offer it in .243!

Only at 80ish rounds, but mines been 100% reliable and should go sub MOA with the right ammo. Shot (2) four shot groups of 150gr WWB at 100 yards. One group was 3 shots in 3/4" with a flier at 2 1/2", the second group was a clover leaf with a similar flier. Winchester M80 NATO went 3" off the bench.

Last edited by Distridr; 01/20/23.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Looks like an interesting gun to me

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
W
W
I just picked up a 20" SFAR. I noticed that there is, at least in my opinion, too little clearance between the gas block and the handguard. I like to see at least 3/32" of clearance all around the gas block, especially with thinner/lighter barrels. I just fixed the same problem with another large frame AR in 260 that was grouping poorly. I have also experienced the same with a 223 AR that had too little clearance. I suspect this is the cause of accuracy issues in these rifles. Another thing I've found with 308 ARs is that loads that work well in a 20" barrel don't shoot well in a 22" barrel and vice versa. I suspect the same is true with 16" and 20" barrels.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don't wish to Sh it on the Ruger SFAR , Ruger makes great and reliable firearms but if you're looking for a reliable hunting 308 visit the POF Rogue it's lighter than the Ruger by almost a POUND and the one I have runs absolutely reliably and is an absolute pleasure to carry. My 16' version shoots 1 moa all day with my handloads. I don't shoot factory ammo so I can't speak to accuracy with factory stuff.
A little more expensive but a true 308 in a light weight AR 15 sized body. An adjustable gas block is available but mine works as it is so I don't need it, I don't shoot suppressed.

Good Hunting
Littlejohn

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have been doing a little load development with Hornady 155 grain BTHP with cannelure using IMR4895. Between those and the 168 BTHPs with H4895, all 5 shot groups are 3/4” and 1.3”.

BS2 Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Try some flat base bullets and see how they group. In my guns they group smaller than the boat tails.

Get close and wack em hard!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BS2
Try some flat base bullets and see how they group. In my guns they group smaller than the boat tails.

Don’t have any on hand at the moment, but plan on trying 150 gr Interlocks. The factory Hornady American Gunner 155 bullets are accurate, but slow. I am trying to get the same accuracy, but with a faster velocity. The Hornady ammo is just below 2500 fps. I am just passing 2600 fps with the hand loads. One problem with the 155 bthps is that they have a very short bearing surface. Makes it hard to seat them straight.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If I were to get one it would be the 20 inch, I have had two short barreled 308's in my lifetime, both hunting guns. It has been my experience that the velocity of the bullet makes a difference. I shot a 250 or so pound hog with a Ruger 16 inch AR the old model forget the name, it was heavy as hell, I hit him in the shoulder so he could not walk but I had to walk up to him and shoot him in the head with a 45ACP ball ammo as he was still breathing 5 minutes or so after the shot. sorry std old rem 150 grain core loc.

Last edited by jimmyp; 02/19/23. Reason: forgot the details

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This is my last load development outing with my SFAR (tried to lable the targets before putting them out, then shot the wrong ones with this rifle).

40.5gr of AR-Comp under 165gr TGKs, and 42gr under 150gr Interlocks is what I'm going with for now. I recently took the fixed 12x off and put a PA 3x microprism on the rifle, and it's a very handy package. All the loads are with my Nomad TI on the end.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Trying to see what loads it took with different brass to equal my LC brass loads.

The rifle seemed to really like Winchester Deer Season XP factory ammo. In the future I'll probably try different 150s, the Interlocks I've been working with kind of suck but I have a bunch.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 02/21/23.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
The rifle seemed to really like Winchester Deer Season XP factory ammo. In the future I'll probably try different 150s, the Interlocks I've been working with kind of suck but I have a bunch.

Winchester Deer Season is next up on my list of ammo to test. Nice to see that group!

What length barrel was that from?

Last edited by Distridr; 02/24/23.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My experience with an SFAR is rather good. Very accurate rifle with several loads and bullets from 125 to 200 grain. I’ve had one malfunction early on but several hundred rounds later it’s had zero issues.
That noisy break that Ruger put on has been replaced with a linear comp. Quite a positive difference in noise level.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Heavybullets
I don't wish to Sh it on the Ruger SFAR , Ruger makes great and reliable firearms but if you're looking for a reliable hunting 308 visit the POF Rogue it's lighter than the Ruger by almost a POUND and the one I have runs absolutely reliably and is an absolute pleasure to carry. My 16' version shoots 1 moa all day with my handloads. I don't shoot factory ammo so I can't speak to accuracy with factory stuff.
A little more expensive but a true 308 in a light weight AR 15 sized body. An adjustable gas block is available but mine works as it is so I don't need it, I don't shoot suppressed.

Good Hunting
Littlejohn

Hmmm, Over $2k is a little more expensive?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am follow this and in the market for a light weight compact 308
I have an order in with one of my favorite shops and they seem to be a bit hard to get but I cant beat the deal so I am being patient

I looked at The Rogue and of course being a POF its good stuff a bit lighter no adjustable gas block but of course it can be added but standard with Ruger

The other one is the Springfield Saint Victor but that is still light for 308 but its 7 lb 11 oz still good for an 308, but more than 1 lb from the Ruger and a bit more than that than the POF it still has no adjustable gas block

but that being said anyone have a Saint and an opinion on it?

Hank

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not yet committed, POF isout due to cost, but now you got me thinkin Saint. Another pound, & a couple hunnert more than the SFAR. But a pound lighter than my M1A Bush.

I poses the question, is the Saint superior to to the SFAR. Obviously not in price or weight, but otherwise?

Gee thanks Hank. frown laugh

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well it’s good to have options🤷‍♂️😁

I am getting a bit caught up in it
I have the Ruger on order and hope it comes soon

It’s a ton of fun for the money especially the price I was quoted
Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 03/05/23.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by Heavybullets

Good Hunting
Littlejohn

Hmmm, Over $2k is a little more expensive?

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
My Rogue was $1511 plus tax. I consider that reasonable for a 5.9 pound .308 AR.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Distridr
Originally Posted by Gtscotty

Winchester Deer Season is next up on my list of ammo to test. Nice to see that group!

What length barrel was that from?

16" and suppressed with a Nomad TI + Xeno system.

I've owned the Rogue previously, it's a fine rifle, but I don't really think it has anything over the SFAR other than price. By the time I added an H buffer, Dictator AGB (badly needed with a can), and a better muzzle device, it was up to 6lb, 4oz, replace the minimalist with a decent stock and you're up to around the SFAR for a lot more money.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by Gtscotty; 03/06/23.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 58 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.