Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got a question from a friend of mine that I can’t answer so I’m looking for help.

He’s asking about FL resizing without the expander ball to avoid working the brass too much but he doesn’t have a neck sizer die. Can he FL resize without the ball and expect proper neck tension? What kind of trouble can he get in without some form of neck treatment?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There's a misunderstanding of the fundamental problem. Excessive working of the brass comes from the neck section of the die being much tighter than necessary to properly hold a bullet.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i alway s use a expander ball on my Redding dies if your worried about brass candle anneal the brass 1st . i anneal about every 4th time with my target brass but with my hunting 257 Weatherby mag. brass every 2 or 3 times . Mathman is right you have a misunderstanding.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Once is a great while a standard expander-ball sizing will be of the correct dimensions to ONLY size the neck down just enough to result in straight ammo, without using the expander. This depends on the brass, of course--but has only happened to me twice in a few decades of handloading....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Can he FL resize without the ball and expect proper neck tension? What kind of trouble can he get in without some form of neck treatment?

P

With virtually all standard dies, the simple answer No; neck tension will be higher than normal without the sizing ball. Might still be "OK", akin to a hard crimp, but IMO, too much pressure rise to be safe, but i have no data to support that.

And not all brass & dies will yield the same tension, but that happens with the sizing ball in place too,

If he's intent on doing it, he really needs a body die (which does not size the neck down) & a collet neck sizing die.

Or buy a single bushing die with several bushings.

MM

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just buy a bushing die.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 01/11/23.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Once is a great while a standard expander-ball sizing will be of the correct dimensions to ONLY size the neck down just enough to result in straight ammo, without using the expander. This depends on the brass, of course--but has only happened to me twice in a few decades of handloading....

John, when sizing without the expander ball in place we will probably have a neck inside diameter too small. I’ve seen your recommendation on the proper way to then “push size” the neck with the ball replaced. It’s simple and I believe I’ve done it correctly, but would you mind rerunning the setup and process one more time. This time I’ll print it and tape it to my bench. Thanks.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tag

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
There's a misunderstanding of the fundamental problem. Excessive working of the brass comes from the neck section of the die being much tighter than necessary to properly hold a bullet.

That and lack of annealing.

I do not use expanders. I do use mandrels.

At least with precision ammo, the goal is to reduce variables to ensure the most consistent neck tension across all loaded rounds. This is accomplished most fundamentally by turning necks and annealing.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
At least with precision ammo, the goal is to reduce variables to ensure the most consistent neck tension across all loaded rounds. This is accomplished most fundamentally by turning necks and annealing.

And where do you draw the line for turning. or not turning necks?

Hunting rifles?
Precision hunting rifles? (Whatever that term means)
Precision target rifles?

What % of ammo that you load has the necks turned?

MM

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

One of the best things I bought L.E. Wilson Expanding Mandrel Die

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023478435

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I tried this with my 35 Whelen as the neck tension wasn't enough to hold the bullets. They would be pushed down the neck in the rifle's magazine box under recoil or wiggle free when bouncing around on the back of the motor bike. I just replaced the whole spindle with that from my .25-06 die as they were the same brand (Redding). It seemed like a good idea but I wasn't really happy with it. Because the neck was a bit narrow the bullets would seat a bit not centred in the neck. I mean they were not in the centre of the case neck but a bit out to one side. I could see with the naked eye that the brass on one side of the neck had been pushed out by the bullet's base but the other side hadn't. Groups were a bit bigger than normal too. In the end I bought a Lee Factory Crimp die for $30 and issue solved.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

This^^^

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Seems to me at his level of understanding just go with a Lee Collet die.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm also a fan of using an expander mandrels to get the proper tension without overworking.

For a couple of my rifles I just use a neck bushing, without expanding.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It isn't the expander ball or expander mandrel that controls whether or not the case neck gets overworked. That is determined by how much it gets sized down compared to how much sizing down it needs to properly hold a bullet.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Just buy a bushing die.

I"ve neck sized 6.5 PRC brass with my 6.5CM Lee collet neck sizing die, with a minor mod and adjustment. Works like a champ.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Seems to me at his level of understanding just go with a Lee Collet die.

Well, yes, at least until he needs a body die..............if he shoots them enough to ever need one.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

And where do you draw the line for turning. or not turning necks?

Hunting rifles?
Precision hunting rifles? (Whatever that term means)
Precision target rifles?

What % of ammo that you load has the necks turned?

MM

With high quality brass, I don't get too concerned about neck wall thickness, even for my PRS rifles. I use Lapua in my 6.5 Creedmoor and 6BRA. I do check it and cull out any anomalies. With lesser quality brass for rifles that I expect to perform at extended ranges, I measure neck wall thickness and sort by degree of variation, culling the most extreme. I use and load much less of this sort of brass. I've skimmed necks, but am of the opinion that unless I turn inside and outside, I'm not really getting the most benefit for my efforts and, with quality brass, for my applications and volume, turning is more difficult to justify. With that said, I reserve the right to change my mind at any time.

I full length size with FL bushing dies and use expander mandrels. An exception is my 6BRA which I have a custom die for. I anneal after every firing.

There are many ways to do this and just as many reasons for doing them.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I FL size without expander buttons on almost every cal I load for. 30 years and no issues and my ammo is usually very straight. I do anneal after every third loading.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 49 invisible), 1,746 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,868
Posts18,497,485
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.