Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I'm considering getting a CVA scout 350 legend in SS strictly to use during muzzleloader season. In Louisiana I do not have to use a straight wall cartridge however I'm considering it because the local stores have tons of ammo for it. I was considering the 35 whelen but ammo seems to be like any other ammo, obsolete. I don't know much about the cartridge other that it is allowed in a single shot crack barrel here in Louisiana.

My shots during muzzleloader will be no longer than 75 yards in my hardwoods thus the 35 whelen is kinda overboard for this style of hunting. The round appears to be a longer version of a 357 mag with more punch. So if you have one, what are the pro's / con's of this round. What it the range that is suitable for this round? Strictly whitetail deer hunting. Would give me 2 more weeks of hunting here. A week before and a week at the end. I've been using a CVA wolf 50 cal for years, but the process is wearing on me and as of lately, it rains damn near ever day here and don't want to take a chance of wet powder and no POP.

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You'll have no issues with it as you laid out.

Many states have the "straight wall" cartridge rule there. Or areas that require it. The 350 seems designed specifically for such things and those I've heard use it in such areas universally love it, given their restrictions.

If I wasn't forced to use a straight wall (I'm not - just saying if) - I don't know I'd use it - mostly because it's not a 7-08 or something like that in performance at range but for what you describe - no worries mate.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It works fine for a <200yd cartridge.

I think I'd wait for them to chamber in 360 Buckhammer if I was going to get a break barrel though. Not that the rimless 350 won't work, I think a rimmed cartridge works better in single shots.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you want a lever....another option and more powerful

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
I'm considering getting a CVA scout 350 legend in SS strictly to use during muzzleloader season. In Louisiana I do not have to use a straight wall cartridge however I'm considering it because the local stores have tons of ammo for it. I was considering the 35 whelen but ammo seems to be like any other ammo, obsolete. I don't know much about the cartridge other that it is allowed in a single shot crack barrel here in Louisiana.

My shots during muzzleloader will be no longer than 75 yards in my hardwoods thus the 35 whelen is kinda overboard for this style of hunting. The round appears to be a longer version of a 357 mag with more punch. So if you have one, what are the pro's / con's of this round. What it the range that is suitable for this round? Strictly whitetail deer hunting. Would give me 2 more weeks of hunting here. A week before and a week at the end. I've been using a CVA wolf 50 cal for years, but the process is wearing on me and as of lately, it rains damn near ever day here and don't want to take a chance of wet powder and no POP.

I'm in the same boat as you with the "Primitive Weapons" season in LA. I use an older SS CVA .35Whelen but would actually have preferred a .35Rem, they just were not making them at that time. The current trend for those guys that want to hunt 150yds or closer is to go with the .350 Legend. My cousin and uncle bought the SS CVA Scout rifles last year and they shoot nearly as well as their 700 bolt actions. They view them as 150yd rifles, and are pleased that they can roll in nearly any store and walk out with several boxes of ammo that don't break them bank. Power level is a notch below the .35Rem, as it appears to push a 170-180gr .355 bullet about as fast as a short barreled .35Rem will push a 200gr .358 bullet. Recoil is also quite moderate and they are said to be rather fun to shoot. I hope the Buckhammer catches on and does well, but that remains to be seen. The Legend fares as well as it does because it runs through so many platforms, be they ARs, bolt guns, or single shots.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Pros? Every Wal Mart seems to have plenty of .350 Legend ammo available.
Cons? I don't care for the .355 bullet diameter.

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Jason280

I don't see the .355 diameter being as big a deal as folks make it. Most of the .358 rifle bullets aren't going to expand at .350L velocity, and most of the .357 pistol bullets are too soft for .350L velocity, making it a somewhat moot point that it can't use either of those diameters. Plenty of hunting ammo for it on the shelves, and you can load 147FMJ .355 bullets if you want a cheap plinking load.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

My issue as well. The diameter. The 360 Sledge is .358" but so far only lever guns are chambered as stated above. I do not know if that is a deal breaker for the OP though.

μολὼν λαβέ

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by SDupontJr

I'm in the same boat as you with the "Primitive Weapons" season in LA. I use an older SS CVA .35Whelen but would actually have preferred a .35Rem, they just were not making them at that time. The current trend for those guys that want to hunt 150yds or closer is to go with the .350 Legend. My cousin and uncle bought the SS CVA Scout rifles last year and they shoot nearly as well as their 700 bolt actions. They view them as 150yd rifles, and are pleased that they can roll in nearly any store and walk out with several boxes of ammo that don't break them bank. Power level is a notch below the .35Rem, as it appears to push a 170-180gr .355 bullet about as fast as a short barreled .35Rem will push a 200gr .358 bullet. Recoil is also quite moderate and they are said to be rather fun to shoot. I hope the Buckhammer catches on and does well, but that remains to be seen. The Legend fares as well as it does because it runs through so many platforms, be they ARs, bolt guns, or single shots.

Thats kinda been my info from the few that have them. And your right jason, the local wally world has plenty of 308 and 350 legend ammo, so thats a plus there. But to use it 2 weeks out the year, anything is better than what I have. The rimmed cartridge does seem ideal but need it in a single shot to follow state regs.

R
R
I've used the .350L to take 5 deer. None has made it more than 40 yards after the shot. A couple were taken at 200 yards. I would be confident using for your situation.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Having seen quite a few things killed with the .358 win, 35 rem and 350 legend the .003" difference in bullet diameter doesn't seem to matter. Whitetails and hogs 100ish yards and in with similar placement all have given the same results.

Our 350's are accurate, easy to load for and factory ammo is everywhere is one wants that route.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Fotis
If you want a lever....another option and more powerful

a 35 Remington in a new box, to make the politicians in states that require a straight wall case, happy?

trying to reinvent the wheel, because people will buy anything that they perceive as a new idea?

it and the Legend are answers to a question that shouldn't need to exist...but does because of politicians who don't know a damn thing about hunting..

create a problem that doesn't exist, so that they can manage the chinese fire drill they created...DemocRAT party logic.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
350 Legend will kill any deer at the ranges you stated. Mild recoil, available accurate factory ammo. I use the Hornady 165 grain FTX in my handloads. I have taken, and seen taken does and bucks with 150 grain Winchester Deer Season XP, Winchester 180 grain Power Point, and 170 grain Hornady. All did the trick very handily.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't see the .355 diameter being as big a deal as folks make it

It is when you are already stockpiled to load for .357 Mag, .357 Maximum, .357 Herrett, and .35 Remington

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought a CVA Scout in 350 Legend during the pandemic because a friend said the .243 version he bought for his kids was very accurate and fun to shoot. At that time, the only ammo on the shelf was 350 Legend. I’ve killed one doe with the 180 Win load. I want to try the 170 gr hornady load, but would have no issue using it out to 200 yards here in Arkansas. I just rarely have any shots over 100 where I hunt. I’ve got a 7mm-08, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39, 6mm Rem, .223, 35 Whelen, 45-70, and 357 Mag rifle. The 350 legend in the Scout is handy for a drive here an there and is an absolute tack driver. Get one and don’t look back.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

It is when you are already stockpiled to load for .357 Mag, .357 Maximum, .357 Herrett, and .35 Remington

You can easily run the .357 and .358 bullets through a .356 size die an all is good just like cast bullets. I find the .355 snivel laughable.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rickt300

You can easily run the .357 and .358 bullets through a .356 size die an all is good just like cast bullets. I find the .355 snivel laughable.

Rick, I wish I could find a couple of boxes of .358 200 grain FTX bullets because that’s exactly what I would do. Mule Deer did it and got 2100 + feet per second with Hodgdon Lil Gun. Should equal the .35 Remington. Not that the current loads aren’t sufficient. I just like to tinker and test.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 360 not only covers the straight wall rule, but in other states also covers the max 1.8" case length rule. I might consider one for here in IN if I can find one cheap enough. Could rechamber my 357 Mag Handi Rifle, but not sure I will.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If you have the throat to allow it seated long, a 357 mag (not max) single shot will get a 200 gr bullet licking the heels of 2000 fps with Lil Gun.

I wouldn’t try that in a lever action, but the 357 Mag is highly underrated in a single shot, and it’s what I’d pick over the 350. Plus the rim helps as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,879
Posts18,497,751
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.